Help me to decide on Integrated Amplifier

Vijay_s

This discussion has started from "Wanted" session of the forum, moving it here as I decided to go with new AMP instead of used

Short summary of Audition,

-------------------
Source - Squeeze-box Touch
Speakers - Focal Chorus 807V (Recomended Amp 25W-175W)

Amps,

Exposure 2010S2
Musical fidelity M3i
Cambridge Audio 851A

--------------------

Exposure 2010S2 - Found this is an outstanding amp in its league. The kind of detail and tight bass I felt like having a DAC attached to my Squeezebox touch. Played Trance, bollywood, malayalam, Tamil, PoP and Rock musics. It was quite an experience how revealing the music with exposure.

Musical fidelity M3i - MF 3i + SQB Touch felt like no bass at all. Even dealer felt the same and he connected Triangle speakers to make sure everything fine. Triangle was better than foals when connected to M3i.

Cambridge Audio 851A - I was expecting a normal CA sound signature to my surprise I found it is different class altogether, in every department CA 851A is one notch above Exposure even the details or aesthetic. Very tight bass without compromising overall details.

The sound characteristics I was searching for found in CA as well as in exposure 2012S2, so no more auditions planned.

Its decision time,

Now the choice is between CA 851 and Exposure 2012S2. Exposure have the upper hand due to my budget limitation. If I get a reasonably good offer then it would be definitely CA 851A. Help me to decide between these 2.

Price difference is almost 20K between these two.

This will be along term investment and I wont be changing the amp in next 5-7 years.

Last edited:
Dear svkndv

Purely from a personal perspective, if you feel that CA851A is much better than Exposure in most ways and that
you will keep your purchase for the long term then i really feel you should go for it.

Try writing to a few dealers or distributors who carry CA, i am sure you will be able to bring the 20k gap down.
Or if someone has a demo unit they would like to sell.
I saw it at technoguru website for 101k, write to them and see what they can do.

Overall from a long term perspective it is a better idea to go for 851 now rather than to regret or change a little later. IMHO

Hi svkndv,

Where did you audition CA 851A? I am looking for CA 651A for my KEF iQ7. Other option I am looking at is Marantz PM7004.

I hope Malayalam tracks also sounded great with 851A :). Did you try the old songs (old as in 60s-80s) or the new ones?

Thanks,
John.

Hi svkndv,

Where did you audition CA 851A? I am looking for CA 651A for my KEF iQ7. Other option I am looking at is Marantz PM7004.

I hope Malayalam tracks also sounded great with 851A :). Did you try the old songs (old as in 60s-80s) or the new ones?

Thanks,
John.

Yes, I have tried old tracks also, turned out to be good. Advantage of CA-851 is that you never feel like you are listening to a CA amp. I do not think you get that characteristics in 651.

I auditioned at Audio planet behind Koremnagala BDA complex. You can reach out to owner Palani, he is a nice person to deal with. He too sit with us and explain features as well as switch speakers/amplifiers to make us understand the difference.

Cool. I know Palani and met him before. I was just wondering if you have found a different place that sells CA :).

Thanks,
John.

I would like to suggest the Trigon and Naim amplifiers and are available around a lakh. I heard the Trigon in Hong Kong last month and I loved the sound. kindly do try it.

Cheers

I would like to suggest the Trigon and Naim amplifiers and are available around a lakh. I heard the Trigon in Hong Kong last month and I loved the sound. kindly do try it.

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion, however this time I am planning to choose between these two. Naim will be considered on next speaker upgrade.

There's an excellent integrated amp (Accuphase) on sale by forum member 'bhagwan'. The amp is expensive but well worth the price, especially at which he is selling it.

Hi,

In my opinion, you sound go for the CA integrated amp...being high current it will definitely perform at high or low levels without any compromise in frequencies or power output.

Incase Budget is a concern, the next option is Marantz intergated series of amplifiers which are very very good for stereo music. These amps are high current as well.

Third option would be NAD...dunno where you can get it.

Cheers

Eddie

Yes, I have tried old tracks also, turned out to be good. Advantage of CA-851 is that you never feel like you are listening to a CA amp. I do not think you get that characteristics in 651.

I auditioned at Audio planet behind Koremnagala BDA complex. You can reach out to owner Palani, he is a nice person to deal with. He too sit with us and explain features as well as switch speakers/amplifiers to make us understand the difference.

which speakers you listen with CA - 851 ?

One very highly rated amp of current days is Rega - Brio R. Of course you must specify what speakers you have

which speakers you listen with CA - 851 ?
I took my Focal Chorus 807V for audition with Ca as well as with exposure.

One very highly rated amp of current days is Rega - Brio R. Of course you must specify what speakers you have

Final decision will be between Exposure and CA 851 among these CA cost above a Lac. Both the amps i like and CA have upper hand.

Based on the input from other FMs and my experience currently it is swinging towards CA.
Last 2 year I owned NAD 326, Marantz 7004 and couple of more at home for audition. So these brands are ruled out.

Some on-paper advantage of CA in addition to speaker protection over Exposure,

Class XD amplification designed to eliminate crossover distortion at low signal levels

1. Audiophile grade oversize toroidal transformer and substantial extruded heatsink allowing 2 x 120 Watts RMS into 8 Ohms or 2 x 200W into 4 ohms.

2. Separate transformer taps for left and right channels, twin rectifiers and separate PSUs for dual mono operation of the left and right power amplifiers

3. A separate toroidal transformer supplies the preamp making the 851A effectively a Pre and Power amp combination in one box

Specification here

Finally @ home.......
9anatate.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Hi,

I have heard Bose 601s series II, JBL Northridge series Towers, Bose 901s series III and KEF towers working well on CA 851a without any jarring. I knw the amp is expensive but its worth it.

Cheers

Eddie

svkndv,

appreciate your quick decision making.

I am sure the CA851 is a very good amp and especially since YOU like it with YOUR speakers..

there is no substitute for the hard yards.. taking your speakers to audition was the right process.

i am quite sure you will keep this for a longer term.

Do make sure you put the Focals on stands and play with the positioning a bit. Room acoustics are sometimes a very important factor.

Please share a pic of the complete setup when ready.

enjoy !!

mpw

Back