Help me with my NADz

Rud31

I got me a pre-owned NAD C320 in pretty good condition for 12K. Now I want to know:
1. How to connect or pass on signal from it to another amplifier? I mean I got it for powering Highs and Mids while have another amplifier for Lows. That amplifier has just RCA inputs, nothing else.
2. It didn't come with a remote so is there any fix for that? My phone has an IR blaster so if Play Store has something in store for that, please let me know.

More info needed. What speakers are you using. Do they have separate connections for woofer/tweeter etc? Which power amp is it? Pictures of the back on all would be better.

Speakers are DIY JBL Coaxials. No, they don't have separate connection. Just a set of banana plugs. Power Amp is a ChiFi unit, 2.1 based on TPA3255 chip. I have shifted the 2 channels onto the NAD and want to run the .1 channel that is the subwoofers from it. It has a pair of RCA for input while the NAD has whole lot including Pre Out and Main In.

Speakers are DIY JBL Coaxials. No, they don't have separate connection. Just a set of banana plugs. Power Amp is a ChiFi unit, 2.1 based on TPA3255 chip. I have shifted the 2 channels onto the NAD and want to run the .1 channel that is the subwoofers from it. It has a pair of RCA for input while the NAD has whole lot including Pre Out and Main In.

Congratulations on the amp. It's a great unit.

Its definitely possible, but not straight forward. If you want to use the nad as pre amp then you will gave to use its Pre Out and take it to a splitter. From the splitter connect a pair to your amp for the lows and another pair back to the Mains in of the nad.

Another way is to use an external preamp which would send the signal to nad and your other amp.

Couple of options, you'll have to figure out what suits your need.

MaSh

Congratulations on the amp. It's a great unit.

Its definitely possible, but not straight forward. If you want to use the nad as pre amp then you will gave to use its Pre Out and take it to a splitter. From the splitter connect a pair to your amp for the lows and another pair back to the Mains in of the nad.
This sounds better and easier of the two. I'm assuming going this route would allow me to control the slave amp from the NAD master.

This sounds better and easier of the two. I'm assuming going this route would allow me to control the slave amp from the NAD master.
That's great. Just plan it out well before implementing. Did you say your speakers have only a single pair of connectors?

A simpler way and a way to get better quality would be to get another Poweramp, the kind you have. Then drive them both using nad as a pre.

As said lots of different routes. Pick the one that suits you best.

MaSh

I am confused. How can he bi-amp with one set of speaker connectors?

For your first setup why don't you keep it simple
Because I love Bass And I have the stuff, might as well use it to get a fuller sound. It's not going to be perfect but that's the point. Mix and Match and learn along the way.
I am confused. How can he bi-amp with one set of speaker connectors?
I'm not bi-amping. NAD will driver the 2 JBL Coaxial speakers and the ChiFi amp will drive the separate passive subwoofer.

Because I love Bass And I have the stuff, might as well use it to get a fuller sound. It's not going to be perfect but that's the point. Mix and Match and learn along the way.

I'm not bi-amping. NAD will driver the 2 JBL Coaxial speakers and the ChiFi amp will drive the separate passive subwoofer.
Sounds like a good plan. Having the same nad, I would suggest using it for bass rather than the highs.

MaSh

Sounds like a good plan. Having the same nad, I would suggest using it for bass rather than the highs.

MaSh
Using Integrated amplifier to drive passive subwoofer! Is that possible? Teach me Senpai!

Using Integrated amplifier to drive passive subwoofer! Is that possible? Teach me Senpai!
Why not? The nad is a capable amp. Can go down to 4ohms comfortably. Well depends on the age of components and how yours was used. If you see it heating up quickly then avoid. I have used mine to drive a car sub successfully. No issues. Try it for a few minutes and see how it goes.

MaSh

Why not? The nad is a capable amp. Can go down to 4ohms comfortably. Well depends on the age of components and how yours was used. If you see it heating up quickly then avoid. I have used mine to drive a car sub successfully. No issues. Try it for a few minutes and see how it goes.

MaSh
I'm assuming there's going to be an crossover somewhere in this chain. Was it active or passive and where was it, before the amp or after amp before the subwoofer.
I played my amp last night for almost 2 hours at moderate volume level and it didn't even get warm!

I'm assuming there's going to be an crossover somewhere in this chain. Was it active or passive and where was it, before the amp or after amp before the subwoofer.
I played my amp last night for almost 2 hours at moderate volume level and it didn't even get warm!

Before the amp driving the Sub would be a good place.

MaSh

OK
I know the vents on top of the amp aren't supposed to be covered but is there any way to protect it from dust and all? All I can think of right now is to cover it up with cloth when not in use and remove it when amp is ON.

OK
I know the vents on top of the amp aren't supposed to be covered but is there any way to protect it from dust and all? All I can think of right now is to cover it up with cloth when not in use and remove it when amp is ON.

Cloth cover when not in use is fine.

MaSh

Got the splitters today and hooked up the system. Signal Chain was Phone->NAD C320->JBL Coaxials{ Pre Out to Crown XLS2502-> Passive subwoofer(2x8inch Polk Audio subwoofers)}
Let me just say, it was first time in my life I had the thought, it's too much power for the given space. I had applied gasket tapes on my window panes to stop them from rattling but today even that also gave out. Replaced the Crown amp with ChiFi amplifier and set it's Subwoofer gain to minimum and yet things were moving around the room. Needless to say it was a bittersweet emotion. Sweet because having NAD as PreAmp, it has supercharged the ChiFi amp's output so the Crown amp feels redundant. Bitter because now the Crown amp is redundant.

Got a female perspective on my setup. Separation was appreciated but missing depth of soundstage was pointed out, as well as the soundstage being too upfront. That is one thing I cannot fix to space restriction of general quarters. But this reaffirms that the setup can and will perform well when actually given more room to breathe.
What genre of music you manly listen to ?
Movie Soundtracks, Orchestra Instrumentals,Classic Rock, Synth Rock and Synth Pop, New Bollywood, Punjabi, most of it is rebassed in case of the last 2.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back