Help need in adding Tweeter to home theater

ashokec

Hi
I want to add extra tweeter to my creative 5.1 home theater.
If I just connect it parallel to the existing midrange speakers will there be much problem with impedance mismatch?
If it's there how can I solve it?

Regards

The best way is to use a 2 way cross over at the point that you desire the tweeter to kick in. (usually 3 to 4 khz). Feed the signal from the amp into the cross over. Low frequency out should go to existing midrange and high frequency to the tweeter that you want to add.
Using a properly designed cross over will solve the problem of impedance mismatch.

If you are interested to augment something above 12khz or so, you can add a capacitor is series with the tweeter which will work as high pass filter and put this assembly in parallel with the midrange. The cap value depends on the impedance of tweeter and the frequ above which tweeter is supposed to play. The necessary tables are available on net.
The second option that i have suggested is a secondary option(i mean less recommended) because it may lower the resultant impedance a bit. The higher frequency you choose, the safer it will be
( I mean 15khz will be safer than 12khz)

Just for your information, philips makes readymade crossovers which are small in size. Should be suitable for your use. In case you are interested in trying , i have 2 pieces lying idle with me. I will give them to you for experimentation. Only thing,the cross overs that i have are 3 way.

I'm also on same path trying to add some high freq to my logitech z5500 to make this little musical. I've tried couple of shops in pune but didn't find the crossover.
Any idea I cat get online somewhere?

/Alok

What is your source? Did you check with another speaker whether there is enough highs coming that suit your tastes?

Usually creative speakers have decent highs. What kind of driver configuration do the speakers have? Mid+ tweeter or a single full range?

MaSh

If I just connect it parallel to the existing midrange speakers will there be much problem with impedance mismatch?
Impedance matching is another story but to connect a tweeter, you need a capacitor in series to avoid blowing it. Also need to calculate capacitance to match desired frequency range.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back