Help needed for AV Equipment with surge handling - 3 phase supply split etc.,

warrior047

Hello all,
I am from hyderabad. In a community that am moving into, there are frequent power fluctuations, certain voltage irregularities might also be there. However they do have a Deisel Generator backup that kicks in within a minute.

There is no sep audio room for me and living room/main hall is the place where my TV, AVR, speakers are present and this is near the entrance/MCB almost - its a simple apartment.

I already have an Amaron Pure sine wave Home UPS of <1KVA capacity that needs to be leveraged for lights, computer, TV points, Fans etc., What i am confused about is to how i can safeguard the AVR. This thread is not to identify the protection equipment but to do it how as i have decided on the below path/options for my Denon X4700H to keep it safe. Am not connecting TV to the static stabilizer below due to a requirement of using AVR only for HT purpose and use Soundbar for daily watching for parents' and others' ease of operation.

Approach A and questions relevant:
  1. Invest in a 5 KVA (as available) Static Stabilizer for the phase where my living room is connected, and connect this to the single phase only at MCB and not touch the other 2phases that cover the remaining rooms/ACs etc.,
  2. Place this stabilizer near the main entrance only near to MCB. Leverage the output supply to the AVR in TV unit from socket directly (In a way is it possible to have stabilized power go back into MCB or likewise so that the sockets in TV unit area can pick it up - because its at a phase, both the rooms will use this)
  3. Invest in a simple BACK-UPS (Offline) before AVR just to facilitate the run for 40-50 sec or a smooth shutdown based on generator support - No ONLINE UPS being considered as i don't need to run the system on that due to noise
  4. Invest in two 5KVA single phase Servo stabilizers for the other 2 phases separately near MCB to cover my 4 AC, Refrigerator, Chimney, Lights and Fans (Entire House basically except the first phase which covers TV unit and associated rooms)
  5. So this would mean overall 3 stabilizers (one Static for AVR alone and 2 Servo for the remaining phases in house)
  6. Connect the Amaron Pure sine wave Home UPS of <1KVA capacity near the MCB - But am not clear as to how to add this in the chain of MCB->Servo stabs+static stab (One phase only) for entire house - Should i omit the 2 servos for other phases? If so still how can i connect this UPS for specific points in house?
Approach B - Pls confirm if this is fine :
  1. Invest in a 3 or 5 KVA (as available) Static Stabilizer for AVR alone in living room, and connect this directly to the 16A socket in TV unit
  2. Invest in individual stabilizers (Regular ones like VGuard) for all ACs, TV, Refrigerators and Voltage cutoff sockets for Chimney and other equipment where stabilizer is not feasible - Am not connecting TV to the static stabilizer due to a requirement of using AVR only for HT purpose
  3. Add the Voltage surge protection switches we get on amazon in MCB (Take three single phase voltage cutoff switches)
  4. So this would mean overall multiple stabilizers (one single phase Static for AVR alone and 4 individual voltage stabilizers for AC/Fridge/TV )
  5. Connect the Amaron Pure sine wave Home UPS of <1KVA capacity near the MCB for specific points in house alone
Approach C and questions:
  1. Invest in a 3 or 5 KVA (as available) Static Stabilizer for the phase where my living room is connected, and connect this to the single phase only at MCB and not touch the other 2phases that cover the remaining rooms/ACs etc.,
  2. Place this stabilizer near the main entrance only near to MCB. Leverage the output supply to the AVR in TV unit from socket directly (In a way is it possible to have stabilized power go back into MCB or likewise so that the sockets in TV unit area can pick it up - because its at a phase, both the rooms will use this)
  3. Invest in individual stabilizers (Regular ones like VGuard) for all ACs, TV, Refrigerators and Voltage cutoff sockets for Chimney and other equipment where stabilizer is not feasible
  4. So this would mean overall multiple stabilizers (one single phase Static for one phase alone and 4 individual voltage stabilizers for AC/Fridge/TV )
  5. Connect the Amaron Pure sine wave Home UPS of <1KVA capacity to the MCB - But am not clear as to how to add this in the chain of MCB->Static for one phase
Really sorry for the long thread but i need some real help.

@Love4sound Navin can definitely help solving this puzzle. Also @mbhangui has been very helpful with his very detailed knowledge. :)

Overall, your AVR and TV both require a full proof protection from Voltage fluctuations, power outages and surges of any kind.
Though I have lost main boards in Washing Machine, Induction, RO machine etc also because of these issues.

From my very limited knowledge,
You will need 3 phase Voltage protection (under/over protection, surges) near Meter/MCB

You will need ideally a Voltage Stab for the entire house if you wish to protect the other equipment also. Otherwise just single Phase supplying to AV equipment.

You will need Power Back up to avoid abrupt shut down of the AV equipment atleast

Finally to be on safer side, you may also require a reliable Power Distribution Box to supply to AV equipment

Even if its little inconvenient to manually plus/unplg some equipment everyday, you should attempt for maximum protection.

Last edited:
Hello all,
I am from hyderabad. In a community that am moving into, there are frequent power fluctuations, certain voltage irregularities might also be there. However they do have a Deisel Generator backup that kicks in within a minute.

There is no sep audio room for me and living room/main hall is the place where my TV, AVR, speakers are present and this is near the entrance/MCB almost - its a simple apartment.

I already have an Amaron Pure sine wave Home UPS of <1KVA capacity that needs to be leveraged for lights, computer, TV points, Fans etc., What i am confused about is to how i can safeguard the AVR. This thread is not to identify the protection equipment but to do it how as i have decided on the below path/options for my Denon X4700H to keep it safe. Am not connecting TV to the static stabilizer below due to a requirement of using AVR only for HT purpose and use Soundbar for daily watching for parents' and others' ease of operation.

Approach A and questions relevant:
  1. Invest in a 5 KVA (as available) Static Stabilizer for the phase where my living room is connected, and connect this to the single phase only at MCB and not touch the other 2phases that cover the remaining rooms/ACs etc.,
  3. Invest in a simple BACK-UPS (Offline) before AVR just to facilitate the run for 40-50 sec or a smooth shutdown based on generator support - No ONLINE UPS being considered as i don't need to run the system on that due to noise
  4. Invest in two 5KVA single phase Servo stabilizers for the other 2 phases separately near MCB to cover my 4 AC, Refrigerator, Chimney, Lights and Fans (Entire House basically except the first phase which covers TV unit and associated rooms)
  5. So this would mean overall 3 stabilizers (one Static for AVR alone and 2 Servo for the remaining phases in house)
  6. Connect the Amaron Pure sine wave Home UPS of <1KVA capacity near the MCB - But am not clear as to how to add this in the chain of MCB->Servo stabs+static stab (One phase only) for entire house - Should i omit the 2 servos for other phases? If so still how can i connect this UPS for specific points in house?
Approach B - Pls confirm if this is fine :
  1. Invest in a 3 or 5 KVA (as available) Static Stabilizer for AVR alone in living room, and connect this directly to the 16A socket in TV unit
  2. Invest in individual stabilizers (Regular ones like VGuard) for all ACs, TV, Refrigerators and Voltage cutoff sockets for Chimney and other equipment where stabilizer is not feasible - Am not connecting TV to the static stabilizer due to a requirement of using AVR only for HT purpose
  3. Add the Voltage surge protection switches we get on amazon in MCB (Take three single phase voltage cutoff switches)
  4. So this would mean overall multiple stabilizers (one single phase Static for AVR alone and 4 individual voltage stabilizers for AC/Fridge/TV )
  5. Connect the Amaron Pure sine wave Home UPS of <1KVA capacity near the MCB for specific points in house alone
Approach C and questions:
  1. Invest in a 3 or 5 KVA (as available) Static Stabilizer for the phase where my living room is connected, and connect this to the single phase only at MCB and not touch the other 2phases that cover the remaining rooms/ACs etc.,
  3. Invest in individual stabilizers (Regular ones like VGuard) for all ACs, TV, Refrigerators and Voltage cutoff sockets for Chimney and other equipment where stabilizer is not feasible
  4. So this would mean overall multiple stabilizers (one single phase Static for one phase alone and 4 individual voltage stabilizers for AC/Fridge/TV )
  5. Connect the Amaron Pure sine wave Home UPS of <1KVA capacity to the MCB - But am not clear as to how to add this in the chain of MCB->Static for one phase
Really sorry for the long thread but i need some real help.
Do you live in an area with stable power? Or do you have frequent power cuts and voltage problems? V gaurd is an useless product for avr. Also coming to protection of devices especially Avr you need to decide on what sort of protection you require. If only from surge you have good quality surge protectors. Modern equipment’s mostly don’t need voltage stabilizer as they operate in a wide range and most localities in metro get the desired voltage. Check out rontek power conditioner.It comes with surge protection and high/low voltage cutoff.I settled with only an isolation transformer and sold my vertex servo stabilizer.

@mbhangui @Subbu68 should be able to guide you better

Do you live in an area with stable power? Or do you have frequent power cuts and voltage problems? V gaurd is an useless product for avr. Also coming to protection of devices especially Avr you need to decide on what sort of protection you require. If only from surge you have good quality surge protectors. Modern equipment’s mostly don’t need voltage stabilizer as they operate in a wide range and most localities in metro get the desired voltage. Check out rontek power conditioner.It comes with surge protection and high/low voltage cutoff.I settled with only an isolation transformer and sold my vertex servo stabilizer.

@mbhangui @Subbu68 should be able to guide you better

Hi Naveen,
In my place, there are frequent power fluctuations. We have raised complaint with electricity board but not sure. Hence wanted something like a voltage stabilizer but was confused about the multiple stabilizers as such.

One static for AVR alone for just 2-3 MCB switches in Distribution board or connect directly at TV unit.
2-3 Servo for other TV/ACs/Fridge/Computer etc., instead of one home Servo as my electrician advised against one single 20 KVA servo for my flat owing to query on internal wiring quality etc., Hope these can be connected to individual MCBs in the three phases leaving the TV unit MCBs alone

Not moving ahead with Online UPS. Will plan for a Back-UPS like Line interactive UPS only to switch off AVR properly later if required for 60 sec before the DG power kicks in. No intention to run AVR on this as its not Pure Sine wave. Pls suggest?

Regarding Rontek, is it like Power conditioner? We dont need it if i take static or servo stab rgt?

Hi Naveen,
In my place, there are frequent power fluctuations. We have raised complaint with electricity board but not sure. Hence wanted something like a voltage stabilizer but was confused about the multiple stabilizers as such.

One static for AVR alone for just 2-3 MCB switches in Distribution board or connect directly at TV unit.
2-3 Servo for other TV/ACs/Fridge/Computer etc., instead of one home Servo as my electrician advised against one single 20 KVA servo for my flat owing to query on internal wiring quality etc., Hope these can be connected to individual MCBs in the three phases leaving the TV unit MCBs alone

Not moving ahead with Online UPS. Will plan for a Back-UPS like Line interactive UPS only to switch off AVR properly later if required for 60 sec before the DG power kicks in. No intention to run AVR on this as its not Pure Sine wave. Pls suggest?

Regarding Rontek, is it like Power conditioner? We dont need it if i take static or servo stab rgt?
never heard of rontek before, if possible please share pics by opening the cover of the device. need to see what is inside it..cost?
I need some protection for my CCTV dvrs(a 32 cam one). i have had 2 surges in the past and it took a camera and the dvr input each time. though it was connected to a surge protection device from solar inverter, and the inverter mcbs also tripped but lost the inputs and cam..

Hi Naveen,

Apologies and totally missed to reply. Hope you found a solution

If we fit this before or after the Electricity Board's meter, can we safeguard all appliances in the house from voltage irregularities? Abrupt shutdowns are still a problem, but no burn-out of appliances I guess?
voltage-cutoff.jpg

Apologies and totally missed to reply. Hope you found a solution

Well i didn't. But i bought a servo stab of 3 KVA. However i still need some budget UPS to give safe power off or generator power for 3 min. Pls suggest as Online UPS is not possible w.r.to sound, cost and placement

Get an rccb installed in yur meter,it works like charm at my home on couple of occasions when there was an electricity surge from it trips downs.saved me couple of times.rccb works like voltage flowing from phase to neutral in normal way ,when there is a surge it calculates in milliamps the unbalanced flow nd trips ,also rccb saves you from shock ,if yu touch a live wire or socket at home it will trip instantly coz there is unbalance in neutal nd phase .it comes in 30ma very sensitive to higher amounts 100-150ma less sensitive.

Get an rccb installed in yur meter,it works like charm at my home on couple of occasions when there was an electricity surge from it trips downs.saved me couple of times.rccb works like voltage flowing from phase to neutral in normal way ,when there is a surge it calculates in milliamps the unbalanced flow nd trips ,also rccb saves you from shock ,if yu touch a live wire or socket at home it will trip instantly coz there is unbalance in neutal nd phase .it comes in 30ma very sensitive to higher amounts 100-150ma less sensitive.
Hi I too in a,process to protect my av gear. Electrician is saying about current circuit breaker and then no need to go for any servo stabilizer

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back