Help needed for AVR to recognize desktop all the time

arnprasad

Hi,

I have a simple problem for which i already have a solution - but its a convoluted one and am sure there is a simpler solution.

basically i connect my tv to my desktop via my pioneer avr. Most of the time we use two inputs on my avr - tata sky and desktop. sometimes what happens is that because the display on AVR by default shows the sound option like Dolby digital or Dolby PLII or whatever - we dont know if its in tata sky mode or desktop mode.

so lets say i switch on my desktop and AVR is in tata sky mode - so while i wait for 20 seconds for something to come up on my TV - when there is nothing- i realize its in tata sky mode so i change the input to desktop. now apparently when the desktop is booting up, it is doing some sense check in terms of where is my sound output going to. So in this particular case, it doesnt find AVR coz its in tata sky mode and not desktop input. So when i change the dial to desktop as input, the video signal is on and i log into windows and there is no sound. Then I click on the bottom right corner on sound properties I see 'Speakers' and not 'Pioneer AVR' and no sound comes out of my HT.

Solution is very simple - I just reboot -this time making sure my AVR is in desktop mode and it works.

So my question is:

(a) During PC bootup what check is it performing where it is detecting my AVR is not in desktop mode and defaults to 'speakers' which is basically desktop speakers.

(b) Assuming i do this wrong bootup - is there an option under the speaker properties or may be in device manager or somewhere i tell the desktop to output to "AVR"

Currently i have a hard disk and a reboot takes around a minute or more. So many a times when i have guests in the house or we as a family are eagerly waiting to watch something on TV - its a bummer to see AVR missing in audio option and have a do reboot and wait for couple of minutes.:mad: so much for me showing off my costly HT to my guests!!!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

When you find that the sound playback device is selected as speakers, then instead of rebooting, set it manually to AVR. Or set AVR as default, even better.

Last edited:
Yes as suggested above set your receiver as default sound device. Even in my setup if something is playing on the pc and I switch sources, then foobar for example goes nuts as it cannot find the receiver, however switching sources back to PC and hitting play on foobar, it starts playing.

Another thing you can do is switch on your receiver via the input buttons on the remote. For example if you are going to use pc then press the pc input button to switch on the receiver so that it is comes on with the right input.

In no situation a reboot should be needed.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Then I click on the bottom right corner on sound properties I see 'Speakers' and not 'Pioneer AVR' and no sound comes out of my HT.

Have you set your "Pioneer AVR" as default device in Windows?

I have a Denon AVR and use 2 inputs (STB & PC via HDMI).. I have not faced any issues that you have described..

I have also set my PC to "never sleep"..

Have you set your "Pioneer AVR" as default device in Windows?

I have a Denon AVR and use 2 inputs (STB & PC via HDMI).. I have not faced any issues that you have described..

I have also set my PC to "never sleep"..

Hi..if default device means that when i right click sound properties I see the green tick with default - yes - my Pioneer has that one and still i have this problem

Back