Help needed for layout of my HT room

manishk13

Hi

As Santosh knows, my HT room will double both as HT (music + movies) as well as guitar playing/recording/composing purpose. So I need to logically have some space for both HT as well as guitars/recording equipment. The room is likely to be 21 feet in length and 15 feet 8 inches in width. In the first configuration, the screen is mounted on the 15.8 wall. For seating, I am thinking of putting the sofa at around 14 feet (out of 21 feet length), that leaves a logical "room" in the back of 7 feet by 15.8 feet for guitar purposes. The surround and back speakers will be mounted just behind the seating. The question is: from acoustics standpoint is it ok to leave 7 feet in the back of seating position "empty"? Assume that acoustic treatment will happen at far back end of the room too (i.e at 21 feet at the back). I can also put a thick curtain behind the seating as separater if the experts think it is ok

The other option is to logically divide it the other way i.e use right postion of the 21 inch wall for projection sit on the other side. But in this case I am losing the symmetry of the room since there will be around 10 feet "empty spapce" at the left of the seating , possibly destroying the acoustics. Not sure

Please comment and help.

Thanks
Manish

Hi

As Santosh knows, my HT room will double both as HT (music + movies) as well as guitar playing/recording/composing purpose. So I need to logically have some space for both HT as well as guitars/recording equipment. The room is likely to be 21 feet in length and 15 feet 8 inches in width. In the first configuration, the screen is mounted on the 15.8 wall. For seating, I am thinking of putting the sofa at around 14 feet (out of 21 feet length), that leaves a logical "room" in the back of 7 feet by 15.8 feet for guitar purposes. The surround and back speakers will be mounted just behind the seating. The question is: from acoustics standpoint is it ok to leave 7 feet in the back of seating position "empty"? Assume that acoustic treatment will happen at far back end of the room too (i.e at 21 feet at the back). I can also put a thick curtain behind the seating as separater if the experts think it is ok
You have 21 feet, make the most of it buddy. Sit somewhere around 18 feet and probably have two rows of seating with risers (only problem I see is that your roof height has been lowered because of the lofts) but like sharad (smedhavi) has done, try and lose the lofts if possible.

Since you are doing up your room as place where you can also jam, have a read of this resource below:
Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms

Also, in my opinion you should be having your practice facing the front wall and somewhere close to it (not the other end of the room).

The other option is to logically divide it the other way i.e use right postion of the 21 inch wall for projection sit on the other side. But in this case I am losing the symmetry of the room since there will be around 10 feet "empty spapce" at the left of the seating , possibly destroying the acoustics. Not sure

Please comment and help.

Thanks
Manish
Drop this idea of dividing, you have an enviable sized room, you can have all of these, but will require some 5 minute adjustments\movements before you switch between HT, Music or your practice sessions.

Thanks Santosh

1. I know the room size is good but remember it is only 17 feet length currently; I am extending it by 4 feet by eating up the car porch area to give some breathing space for guitars, amplifiers, drumkit and future recording equipment. It is not fair to the guitars to eat up seating space till 18 feet :)

2. For the reasons mentioned above, I need to cap seating of 1 row at 14 feet. After a lot of research, have finalized Damro recliners (2 double seaters), giving 4 recliner seats. Will put 2 matching color bean bags for oveflow

3. Since seating has to be capped at 14 feet, it leaves very little room for practice equiment next to or in front of projector as suggested by you. Hence the guitars, amps have to go on back of the room.

4. Checked with the structural engineer today. Not advised to take down lofts, so will retain it and will cover storage with same fabric as acoustic panels.

5.The current plan is: Will get the walls etc done, close the existing window by 25th June and then put the equipment in there around 1st july w/o investing in any acoustic treatment yet (will put carpets, A/C & recliners). Will see movies and listen music for 2-4 weeks and evaluate the acoustic of the room and then take appropriate decision on the acoustic panels. What do you think?

Thanks for your help. Hope to have you one day to get your advice

Regards
Manish

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back