Help needed in choosing first non-CRT TV

gibikote

Hi

Yes, although this does seem like a much repeated query, I did spend time searching through the forum posts, and elsewhere on the net too (my better half will vouch for this!) before posting... :sad:

Present TV: Panasonic tc-29fx20 flat screen CRT... have had no issues with it

Wish: 40" - based on the amount of space we wish to allocate for the TV

Budget: < 50k... lesser the better...

Brand preference: none! don't wish to pay premium for the badge

What will it used for: casual viewing + sports, on regular d2H (so far non-HD channels) + movies on and off

Additional audio: have a Norge system with 2 speakers that requires some rectifying... will connect to it after sorting issues etc (if required)

I did read multiple pages of net-gyan on LCD vs LED vs Plasma, HD Ready vs Full HD, and recent posts here and elsewhere too regarding Plasma being stopped or not...

My present short list are:

1. Samsung 43H4900 109 cm (43) Plasma TV
2. Videocon VKC40FH 101 cm (40) LED TV

I was initially in favour of
3. Philips 40PFL4958 101 cm (40) LED TV - as it is offering 3-year warranty

but was advised by the local friendly dealer (reliable, friend of over 20 years) to not go in for Philips based on (hush hush) feedback from the service centres and elsewhere.

Have I done a PQ test with them side by side: No. I dont think this is possible within my city.

I would prefer to buy from a regular shop. The Samsung will be available for 39.5k and the Videocon for 32.5k

So my query to the experienced members is as such:

a) is the "buy a good plasma when you can" adage truly to be considered

b) is the 43" Samsung Plasma TV to be avoided as it is only "hd ready" or because it is a plasma, or any other reason

c) has anyone been able to check these models out together in a large shop?

d) is the extended warranty for 2 years @ ~3500 worth considering

e) this is a no-brainer and I should go with the Videocon (or Philips or Samsung)? :confused:

THANKS in advance! :):cheers:

Don't go for Plasma as its only HD Ready. Have you checked Micromax 40 inch tv which costs less than 25k since you said no brand preference? It seems good value for money however if you want a better brand option check out LG 42LB5610 which costs around 45k.

Hi gibikote,

I can understand the dilemma.

It has become so hard to buy a TV now a days, so much to choose from

Size

Type ( Plasma, LED, OLED)

HD compatibility and so soon.

I'd ask you to consider your needs in detail...

a plasma is easy viewing but generally consumes more power then LED but they come in bigger sizes then LEDs on a given budget, for example, SAMSUNG's plasma range starts within 40k for 43" TV but LED for that size will be somewhere south of 45k.

Also LEDs are best for lesser viewing distances. Plasma TVs aren't that crisp and sharp if viewed from a distance lesser then 7-8 feet.

LEDs are more bright (somewhat artificially so), plasmas are subdued and easier on eye.

Watching SD sports channels on LED is plain pathetic, much better results can be had at a Plasma anytime.

Being HD ready doesn't mean a lot (IMHO) because 95% of channels in India are SD and on a large display no TV is good at showing SD then a plasma reason being plasmas don't suffer so much from motion blur.

On a HD ready LED the motion blur of SD content is such a pain.

I'd suggest you audition a LED at a showroom by insisting they play SD TV channels via a normal set top box, they show us the specially made media to audition their TV which makes a HD ready TV look like a 4k.

Consider this before buying

Happy Hunting

cheers

Last edited:
Thanks Mohit9206, frend2001.

@Mohit9206: have you seen/checked out the Micromax? couldn't see reviews...

@frend2001: I understand you feel plasma would show SD channels and motion better than LED at the 6-8 feet distance; but you are recommending me to choose an LED (rather than the HD ready plasma), as they are sharper. Right?

A Bangalore visit is round the corner. Hope to get some time to try and audition...

Suggestions welcome; thanks.

Hi

Yes, although this does seem like a much repeated query, I did spend time searching through the forum posts, and elsewhere on the net too (my better half will vouch for this!) before posting... :sad:

Present TV: Panasonic tc-29fx20 flat screen CRT... have had no issues with it

Wish: 40" - based on the amount of space we wish to allocate for the TV

Budget: < 50k... lesser the better...

Brand preference: none! don't wish to pay premium for the badge

What will it used for: casual viewing + sports, on regular d2H (so far non-HD channels) + movies on and off

Additional audio: have a Norge system with 2 speakers that requires some rectifying... will connect to it after sorting issues etc (if required)

I did read multiple pages of net-gyan on LCD vs LED vs Plasma, HD Ready vs Full HD, and recent posts here and elsewhere too regarding Plasma being stopped or not...

My present short list are:

1. Samsung 43H4900 109 cm (43) Plasma TV
2. Videocon VKC40FH 101 cm (40) LED TV

I was initially in favour of
3. Philips 40PFL4958 101 cm (40) LED TV - as it is offering 3-year warranty

but was advised by the local friendly dealer (reliable, friend of over 20 years) to not go in for Philips based on (hush hush) feedback from the service centres and elsewhere.

Have I done a PQ test with them side by side: No. I dont think this is possible within my city.

I would prefer to buy from a regular shop. The Samsung will be available for 39.5k and the Videocon for 32.5k

So my query to the experienced members is as such:

a) is the "buy a good plasma when you can" adage truly to be considered

b) is the 43" Samsung Plasma TV to be avoided as it is only "hd ready" or because it is a plasma, or any other reason

c) has anyone been able to check these models out together in a large shop?

d) is the extended warranty for 2 years @ ~3500 worth considering

e) this is a no-brainer and I should go with the Videocon (or Philips or Samsung)? :confused:

THANKS in advance! :):cheers:

Just to mention that Philips TVs are made/assembled by Videocon and sales/service is also provided by Videocon. If you don't have problem with Videocon, you shouldn't have any problem with Philips either. You can go for this Philips LED Buy Philips 40PFL5059 102 cm (40.2) LED TV Online at best Prices In India
as it gives you 3years of warranty(read, 'peace of mind') and gives 240Hz refresh rate, which is good for gaming, fast moving scenes and sports and above all it is Full HD.:):):)

BTW, All Sansui TVs are made/assembled and serviced by Videocon

Last edited:
Thanks Amitkg for reminding me of this. Is it true across the board - for all sizes?
And that model has more happy user reviews compared to the ones I have in mind.
hmm....

Thanks Amitkg for reminding me of this. Is it true across the board - for all sizes?
And that model has more happy user reviews compared to the ones I have in mind.
hmm....
----------------------------------------------------
Yes, it is true across the board. for all sizes, but Videocon is manufacturing/assembling Philips brand of TVs, for India only. Peico Electronics & Electricals Ltd, aka Philips India is now into marketing medical equipment, LED blubs, household/domestic appliance, beauty/grooming products. In order to be competitive in price-sensitive markets, like India, their manufacturing base is in China and they also depend (heavily) on Chinese contract manufacturers. Videocon has its manufacturing units in China. You can surely buy the Philips model that you have mentioned. Remember, 95% of cell-phones are manufactured in China, even our beloved I-phones, Playstations are made/assembled by Hon Hai Precision Industry Co, aka Foxconn, in their mainland China factory. I've seen Samsung/Sony/LGs going kaput after 1year of service and helpless customers were asked to pay astronomical price for repairing the set. So, go ahead, and buy the Philips TV that you have chosen, it gives you 3years of 'peace of mind' and it offers decent picture, Full HD and 240Hz refresh rate. It is a real value for money product. :):):)

Last edited:
I have just purchased the Philips 5059, u can refer to my thread for a short review I have just posted.
For a first timer led buyer n one who doesnt want to give premium to so called bigger brands, I don't see any reason not to go for philips.
Don't forget be it videcon or micromax or sansui etc are using unknown video processing chips, at least with Philips its using Philips own proprietary Pixel precise engine.
The best part comes with a 3 yr warranty.

Regarding after sales, I've been very satisfied with Philips, atleast in my city. Before this, I also had a Philips LCD for 5 yrs, went kaput only once due to short circuit and was promptly repaired within a day n returned back by the Philips service centre.
Actually I was surprised since I though the curcuirt board will only be reaplaced, but was surprised to know it could be repaired and no unnessecary charges and worked perfectly fine post this.

As amitkg rightly pointed out that even with brands like Samsung or Sony or lg, we've seen TVs going kaput or requiring a onale replacement within a yr or two.
If these so called brands can't even give us reliability for the premium they are asking, then I don't see any reason going for them.
I wish in the future Philips launches its entire led range in india including the high end ones and they again have a customer ready

Last edited:
Thanks sanchits; have just asked you some queries on that thread.
Plan:
wait for your inputs (queries on that thread), try to do a demo while in Bengaluru, and do a rethink.
:)

as it gives you 3years of warranty(read, 'peace of mind') and gives 240Hz refresh rate, which is good for gaming, fast moving scenes and sports and above all it is Full HD.:):):)

BTW, All Sansui TVs are made/assembled and serviced by Videocon

Pl check if the native refresh rate is 240 Hz as they call it by a different name i.e PICTURE MOTION RATE. Native may be only 50Hz

Last edited:
Pl check if the native refresh rate is 240 Hz as they call it by a different name i.e PICTURE MOTION RATE. Native may be only 50Hz

The native rate is not 240hz, that I suppose would Be the standard 50hz only. Its the motion interpolation rate which philips calls PMR.

Hi,

Please consider Toshiba LED TVs also. Two years ago, We bought a Toshiba 46 LCD TV. SD channels look great on this TV.

Whereas, they are looking bad on our new LG 4k TV.

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------

It is actually 120Hz,,, still ahead of others, within same price bracket. This link might help you.
Fake refresh rates: Is your TV really 120Hz? - CNET

I really doubt its even 120hz...I think its a standard 50/60hz panel. I dont really care much at this price point, if it indeed is a120hz panel, great n if its not I m not complaining.

But yes,at this price point I don't think any TV would come c!ose to it n only Toshiba could be at par or better but it costs a tad more then this model.
I only bought it as it has the pixel precise engine which is one up from the pixel plus engine I had in my previous TV which was bloody good in producing great SD n HD PQ.
This one lacks a bit on the SD front but that is primarily due to lack of advanced picture settings.

I really doubt its even 120hz...I think its a standard 50/60hz panel. I dont really care much at this price point, if it indeed is a120hz panel, great n if its not I m not complaining.

But yes,at this price point I don't think any TV would come c!ose to it n only Toshiba could be at par or better but it costs a tad more then this model.
I only bought it as it has the pixel precise engine which is one up from the pixel plus engine I had in my previous TV which was bloody good in producing great SD n HD PQ.
This one lacks a bit on the SD front but that is primarily due to lack of advanced picture settings.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Then again, Toshiba LEDs are assembled/made by Delhi based Dixon Technologies India Pvt Ltd

-------------------------------------------------------------
Then again, Toshiba LEDs are assembled/made by Delhi based Dixon Technologies India Pvt Ltd

Well...that's fine, till the time they produce good PQ, essentialy thats all I need from these vfm offerings.
How does made in China any better or worse then made in india. My previous philips was made by Philips and was a product of China and was great and served me well for 5 yrs.

Hoping this one serves me well to for years.

Got a chance to visit a couple of large appliances showrooms last evening.
At the first place (Pai, Kathriguppe, Bangalore), ALL the TVs had significant ghosting when SD channels were played. My better half and son felt the present TV we have is much better than any being offered. It didn't occur to me or the salesman that something is amiss...
Later I could walk into another showroom nearby, and this ghosting issue was not there. I guess the dish settings in the first shop were not good.
In the second shop (Adishwar) I mentioned I would be mainly viewing SD channels. The salesman promptly took me to the VFM models area and recommended Videocon/Onida which are on offer. Micromax too was playing there; it looked pretty dull.
Salesmen at both centres claimed they play all the TVs on "company settings" at Vivid/Dynamic or equivalent. Did not get too much time and courage to check/challenge this.
I frankly could not pick out much differences between various models.
I could not view the higher valued models on SD as the remote was not traceable (!) then and I too had to return to base.
Philips apparently has poor service here in this region and so is not being sold by many. Forgot to ask him how he recommends Videocon, as their service is the same as Philips. I am learning here at this forum :)
Second visit hopefully later in the week...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back