Help needed in picking up a good Home Theater system

Sai Mukund

Hi Guys,
I want to buy a Home theater system for our new house and the room size is 15x13. I had done some research and was able to have some demos and then zero in on Yamaha YHT 299 as it sounded good to me and also in my budget range of 30 to 40K rupees:). But recently I visited Reliance Digital and they advised me to look at the combo of Boston XS 5.1 & Marantz 1402 which costs me around Rs 50,000, this is obviously over my budget but will think if its worthy.
As said above I need some clarity on 2 things
1) Is "Yamaha YHT 299" a good one to go with? Or are there any better HTS other than YHT 299 in my budget range of 30 to 40K?

2) Still need to take a demo on the Boston & Marantz 1402 combo and if its good and by any chance if I can extend my budget would this be a good bet.

Do try Onkyo HTS 4505, pretty decent for the price ...

I suggest to consider the Option 2.
Marantz + Boston is a good combination. Also please audition before you buy.

Hi Mukund,

I too auditioned Marantz 1504 and Boston XS 5.1. It sounded fine with good surround sound. Played some Demo disks in Sony bluray player at Reliance Digital Hyderabad. The Selling price quoted for me is Rs 56,900 as they are including LG bluray player BP420. May be I can exclude this player to reduce the price. I was blown away with this combination.

You can even try Yamaha receiver rx-375 and 5.1 speaker package Polk audio TL1600. Do let me know how it sounded Marantz and Boston combo.

Thanks all for the suggestions....... I had auditioned the Marantz & BS combo & it was good. Fyi, over last week I had bought Sony 46' 3D LED TV, so will not be able to extend my budget at this moment. So for now I had to go with Yamaha YHT 299. As I am really impressed with the BS XS 5.1 speakers I already made my mind to have them in the near future. This raised a question which the guy at reliance was not able to answer me convincingly...sure that someone in this forum will be able to help me answer.
My question is --- Is the Receiver of Yamaha YHT 299 ie "HTR -3066" compatible with BS XS 5.1speakers?

Hi

The Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 system is excellent in performance and quality. Well within budget. Costs around 24k on HifiMart. It is better than Bose AM10 if you want a comparable brand. These are true 2 way satellites. Excellent powered subwoofer with clear bass.

Yes it will work on the AVR of YHT299.

I use the NR 1402 Marantz + Bostons and the combination is excellent. Music never sounded so better. Thanks to the 9 band adjustable EQ which helps make the AVR sound like a good integrated amplifier. Movies and concerts are excellent. You can refer to more related posts by clicking on my user name or read posts related to Owners of Marantz.

Been more than a year now and enjoying every moment of the system. Before you trip on the YHT 299, please reconsider the Marantz + Boston combination. You may want to check with other dealers if they are selling it cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Efernand, yes, Marantz + BS combo sounded pretty good to me as well....but as said above I cannot extend my budget of max 40K now. So plan to go with YHT299 for now and consider a upgrade after 6 months or a year.

Fyi, this is my first Home theater setup so i think its a long way to go on playing with different brands:)

Can you also please suggest me some good & reliable speaker cable companies? What kind of wire (like company, gauge etc) did you use in your setup?

Hi Karthik,

I approximately need 70 feet of wire (for total setup) room size 15x13 and I guess that i would not get that long wire included in the package, correct?

Check whether the provided wires are sufficient.
Else, go for DAC speaker cables..cheap and best.
16 gauge - Front and Center
14 gauge - Rear

I think the wires coming with Yamaha HTIB package is quite sufficient for your room. (13ftX15ft). Please first check with your dealer.

Hello guys, need your help to final avr either denon x1000 or pioneer vsx 523k for driving boston a2310 hts or. Xs 5.1.
Denon is much more price than pioneer. Allmost 10 to 9 k differnace. My requirment is audio calibration and good output for mostly watching movies. Not required network type or airplay requirment.
Only question is denon or pioneer.

hey mnz, try Marantz 1402 or 1406 + Boston XS 5.1 combo, its sounds too good for both movies & music... have a demo and decide:)
I auditioned it and fell in love with it but I am short of budget now so couldn't go for it:(

Hey guys,

I went to Reliance Digital today and demoed Marantz 1504+ Boston S 5.1 combo. One word..awessommmmeeee!! Please note that the Boston speakers included in the combo are "S 5.1" and not "XS 5.1". S series have better performance, hence making the deal even sweeter. Priced told to me was around 55K with a lg blue ray player thrown in.

Also heard the same clip on Yamaha 196 and Pioneer HTP RS 33. (I have Yamaha 196 HTIB installed in my house). No comparison. Yamaha 196 is still ok, but Pioneer, for the size of the speakers, all with floor speakers, huge sub, etc., all show, no sound.??

Will buy the Marantz and Boston combo in cpl of days.??

Hi

The Boston S are 3 1/2 inch drivers for satellites and 10 inch powered sub when compared to the XS which have 2 1/2 inch drivers for satellites and 8 inch powered sub.

The S series has a glossy finish and costs 60% more than the XS. If Reliance is throwing in the S series along with Marantz NR 1504 + Blu Ray then it is indeed a real bargain...hope Manufacturers warranty is coupled with it.

I have been using the Marantz + Bostons for over a year now and have not regretted my decision to spend that kind of money for an excellent system like this.

Go for it.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back