Help needed - setting up my speakers and AVR

rikhi22s

First of all, thanks to a lot to all the active members in the forum who answered my queries earlier while I was trying to start my hifi journey. I ended up buying a Yamaha RX V373 from pepperfry and a pair of used bookshelves - Lektor 2 from our FM Bobby.

While the AVR reached in perfect condition, the speakers were not so lucky (due to poor packaging and handling). Below are my queries:

Lektor 2 speakers: There are 2 visible damages to the speaker.

1) First one is - the points of the grill are broken. I am not so worried about this one and will try to fix them at home. Even if they don't get fixed, the speakers look good without them.

2) Second one is - each speaker has got 2 front firing ports. When I removed the speakers from the box, I could hear some object moving inside the speaker. After some time, I realised that the cylindrical pipe like thing in one of the ports has broken/dropped inside the speaker. My heart just sank but I thought let me connect it to the AVR and check. To my relief the speakers are playing but I am not sure if this will impact the sound quality. I have the following options:
i) Leave it as-is and continue using the speakers
ii) Take it to a service center and try to get it fixed
iii) If FMs suggest, do a DIY and open the speaker panel from the front to see if that port can be fixed
Please let me know what should be done. Attaching the pics (DCS01937)

The next question is - I bought 4 pairs of DAC banana plugs to connect these speakers. The banana plugs are fitting nicely into the speaker but not in the AVR. Is there some other type of plug that I need to buy (Image - banana plugs)?

Thanks in advance,
Rikhi

Attachments

• DSC01937.jpg
    DSC01937.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Banana plugs.jpg
    Banana plugs.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 116
At the back of your AVR red/black connectors, you see small cylinders within the connectors. The outer covering is the one with grooves and inside that you have a small plastic circle. You can remove this smaller tubing by manually pulling it out using a U-pin or tweezers. After that your banana plugs would connect perfectly. Notice how in this image, you don't see the small circles within the larger ones.

Last edited:
At the back of your AVR red/black connectors, you see small cylinders within the connectors. The outer covering is the one with grooves and inside that you have a small plastic circle. You can remove this by manually pulling it out using a U-pin or tweezers. After that your banana plugs would connect perfectly. Notice how in this image, you don't see the small circles within the larger ones.

Thanks Kneo for the quick help. Will try it in the evening. I have also bought DAC 14 AWG wires and will connect them tonight.

For the first query about ports, I am uploading an additional image. Can someone let me know if I can try opening those screws for a DIY fix?

TIA,
Rikhi

Attachments

• DSC01940.jpg
    DSC01940.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 111
You can leave the part as it is, will not impact anything. It is always better wire it to the AVR directly rather than use banana plugs as sometime may lead to loose contact.

hello rikhi, my first post. sorry for OT, how was the experience with pepperfry ?
regards girish

no need of banana plugs unless frequent unplug and plug..like demo rooms..
direct bare contact is best..
you can solder the wire end for a smooth finish...and then use it

hello rikhi, my first post. sorry for OT, how was the experience with pepperfry ?
regards girish

Hi GCR - the experience was pretty good exept that the shipping is by road so it takes time. I placed the order on 14th and got the AVR on 24th but due to the price differential, I think it was worth the wait :)

no need of banana plugs unless frequent unplug and plug..like demo rooms..
direct bare contact is best..
you can solder the wire end for a smooth finish...and then use it

Thanks Prosenjit - wish I had asked this question earlier then would have saved 2200 bucks. Now that I have bought them, will use them ;)

Update - I found a video on youtube for fixing the fallen port for a sub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcIfVw6vbdY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vXEnsu9Dt0

Used the same technique and was able to fix it myself last weekend. Lektors are all smiling now :yahoo:

Hunting for a center now and zeroed down on Dali Vokal or Dali Lektor LCR. The LCRs will perfectly match with the Lektor 2 but are about 4k expensive that Vokal. Will give it a few months before I take the plunge.

Thank you,
Rikhi

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back