Help needed to buy 40-42" LED TV........

hemchandran

Hi experts, i want your opinions/suggestions to buy a 40 -42 inch LED TV. My room has lots of natural light coming in so i prefer LED TV's. I'm not very concerned about 3D, But i would like a smart TV with wifi. I pefer the TV to be in one of the three brands LG/Samsung/Sony. My budget is 70K. So, which TV should i go for please help.............

This TV will be mostly used to watch SD channels(Indian mega serials), i have heard that watching SD channels in 40-42" TV's will look a bit odd and PQ will not be good. Will connecting setop box through AV recievers help imporving the picture quality.

Hi experts, i want your opinions/suggestions to buy a 40 -42 inch LED TV. My room has lots of natural light coming in so i prefer LED TV's. I'm not very concerned about 3D, But i would like a smart TV with wifi. I pefer the TV to be in one of the three brands LG/Samsung/Sony. My budget is 70K. So, which TV should i go for please help.............
You can look at Sony 40EX720, Samsung 5 Series. LG has so many models that I have lost count. Just check the price and feature equivalent. Do a demo of all and check PQ. I would recommend looking at Sharp, Panasonic and Toshiba also.

This TV will be mostly used to watch SD channels(Indian mega serials), i have heard that watching SD channels in 40-42" TV's will look a bit odd and PQ will not be good. Will connecting setop box through AV recievers help imporving the picture quality.
The SD channels are in 4:3 format and when watched on 16:9 screen, the image is stretched and objects appear fat. If you are having an SD connection, i.e., SD set-top box, then connection will be via composite RCA and quality will be really bad. Passing the content thru AVR and letting the AVR upscale is not going to help much. There will be some improvement but not a lot. If you are going to buy an HD-TV, it is recommended that you upgrade to HD-DTH also.

Connecting set top box through avr won't help in improving quality of sd channels. May I ask you why you need a smart tv?

You can look at Sony 40EX720, Samsung 5 Series. LG has so many models that I have lost count. Just check the price and feature equivalent. Do a demo of all and check PQ. I would recommend looking at Sharp, Panasonic and Toshiba also..

Looks like 40EX720 is not available in India, i checked the Sony India website. Hope this model is discontinued.

The SD channels are in 4:3 format and when watched on 16:9 screen, the image is stretched and objects appear fat. If you are having an SD connection, i.e., SD set-top box, then connection will be via composite RCA and quality will be really bad. Passing the content thru AVR and letting the AVR upscale is not going to help much. There will be some improvement but not a lot. If you are going to buy an HD-TV, it is recommended that you upgrade to HD-DTH also.

Even if i get a HD setop box, the regional(Tamil) channels will be in SD. So any inputs regarding this.

No. Smart feature is not an important feature. Smart feature is useful if you wish to watch youtube or do skype call. You need atleast a 2mbps unlimited internet connection to use most of these features. You can always use your laptop or pc or a media player later if you want 'smart' features. That said, consider smart features as a bonus because in your budget almost all tvs have smart features. I would suggest models like Sony 40EX650, 40NX650, LG 42LM6200/6400 3D, Samsung 40ES5600 etc.

I'm pretty new to all this, thats y i need your help :eek:hyeah:
Isnt this smart feature necessary.......
Smart features are totally useless. Besides you will need either a wifi enabled TV (best) or wifi dongle (additional cost Rs. 3000), or run an ethernet RJ45 cable from router to TV. TVs in 70k range are usually not wifi enabled.

Smart TV gives features such as browsing, YouTube, facebook, twitter, etc. All these applocations are better rendered and usable on laptop. I have a Smart TV. I haven't used its Smart features at all. I purchased TV for one purpose one - picture quality. It just happened to be have smart features and 3D. I suggest that you do the same.

So be smart - buy a dumb TV. That said, almost all higher end models (read 70K plus) have smart features built-in.

Hi guys, i have shortlisted these model Samsung 6200r samsung 6800 sony hx750 sony hx850. I have decided to increase my budget. Now which TV should i select of these.
Also i heard Sony is going introduce new TV in March.... should i wait till then and decide?

Hi guys, i have shortlisted these model Samsung 6200r samsung 6800 sony hx750 sony hx850. I have decided to increase my budget. Now which TV should i select of these.
Also i heard Sony is going introduce new TV in March.... should i wait till then and decide?

HX850 is in different league - a grade higher than the rest. If you have the budget go for it. Otherwise Samsung 6800 or Sony HX750.

What you heard about new models from Sony, it is true. 2013 models should be available in April or May. But same is true for Samsung also. So, all in all, wait till May.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
its better to wait for new sony lineup i also decided oon delaying my purchase i had shotlisted bravia 46 hx850 now eager for w900a series

Go for EX650 40" as it gives you good picture even if you use SD in STB or just the analog cable. Its perfect but without smart features (which obviously you wont use most of the time). If you want to view youtube content and other online content , just buy the uwa-br100 dongle which costs around 2.4k and you are ready to go..

Waiting for the new sony TV's. I had zeroed on buying the sony HX850 but seems this model has been stopped :( also some people in the forum suggested to wait for the new series to come up.

See, Very Basically Speaking - The Smart Feature is just a marketing gimmick for most people, unless you are status conscious much. Also, most of the LED TV's are LCD Backlit so there are not great differences.
I would rather suggest you to save money and buy a non- 'smart' L'C'D TV. You can go for either a bigger screen or a Blu-Ray Player/Media Player to make the best of your TV and also buy an Android TV Stick ( UG802/MK808/HI808 - Google them up!)
You Could look at these models :
1. Panasonic TH-L42U5D LCD 42 inches Full HD Television - Panasonic: Flipkart.com

2. Sony BRAVIA 40 inches Full HD LED KDL-40EX650 Television - Sony: Flipkart.com

3. KLV-40EX430 : EX430 Series : BRAVIA HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony India

4. KLV-40BX450 : BX450 Series : BRAVIA HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony India

Al the best.

I'm extremely awed by the members of this forum. Not just answering the questions but taking the extra effort to provide the links to products you people are just awesome.

See, Very Basically Speaking - The Smart Feature is just a marketing gimmick for most people, unless you are status conscious much. Also, most of the LED TV's are LCD Backlit so there are not great differences.
I would rather suggest you to save money and buy a non- 'smart' L'C'D TV. You can go for either a bigger screen or a Blu-Ray Player/Media Player to make the best of your TV and also buy an Android TV Stick ( UG802/MK808/HI808 - Google them up!)
You Could look at these models :
1. Panasonic TH-L42U5D LCD 42 inches Full HD Television - Panasonic: Flipkart.com

2. Sony BRAVIA 40 inches Full HD LED KDL-40EX650 Television - Sony: Flipkart.com

3. KLV-40EX430 : EX430 Series : BRAVIA HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony India

4. KLV-40BX450 : BX450 Series : BRAVIA HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony India

Al the best.

I'm extremely awed by the members of this forum. Not just answering the questions but taking the extra effort to provide the links to products you people are just awesome.

The problem is there are no high end LED panes without the Smart or 3D features. So you get the better panels, refresh rates, density etc only on the ones with a lot of useless feaures add on just to jack up the pricing.

I think it is a wise decision to wait if you are not in any hurry, otherwise Sony HX850 would have been an excellent choice.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back