Help on HT equipment

posiedon

Hey guys I really need your help in this section. I have my entire house under construction and so is the HT room. It is 11ftx18ft and height of 9ft. Currently electric work and POP work is going on and my budget is 3lakh.

I had consulted a HT vendor and he gave me the below specs. Would like ur opinion/advice on this:

Klipsch F-1 floor standing speakers ( F-1 Floorstanding Speaker - F-1 --- Floorstanding Stereo Speaker - Klipsch Synergy Series - Specifications )

Marantz SR5004 surround sound receiver

Vivitek H1080FD 1080p projector

the main purpose of this room is for gaming on my ps3 n x360 and then movies...

Any help on this is very much appreciated...thanks

Poseidon,
About the dimensions of your room, if it is not too late.... I would suggest you make it 11ft x 19ft or reduce the ceiling height to 8ft with your false ceiling. Reason is, the room acoustics will suffer if one of the dimensions is a multiple of the other - 18ft length and 9ft height in your case.

About the equipment, are you going for the entire Klipsch package? Have a read of the review of the Klipsch F1 by member, denom. The vivitek projector is a good one and is in the same league as the Optoma HD20, but read some reviews online before you buy. From what I had read, both were pretty close in their performance, but I opted for Optoma only because Vivitek is fairly new into making Projectors when compared to Optoma.

+1 to santhosh,,,

Prefer over Vivetek is Optoma in the same price range / have a thought about some PJ at $1500 range which have some more advantages.. Have some search on our forums about some more speaker packages like wharf / Jamo... and also PJ brand like epson & Panasonic

Ur 3 lacs is a decent budget for the HT room.

Last edited:
Do study online. Audioreview.com is great help for speaker and equipment reviews.

What is the primary purpose of your is it Music or movies.

Dont get caught with the dealers, they always want to sell the items they make profit off. It is very important you make the most for the money. I feel 3 Lakhs is big money. Spend it carefully.

Harmon Kardon Av receivers are very good.

Paradigms do a great job on the speakers.

Thanks
Pandu

The main purpose for this HT is gaming (on PS3 and X360 which I already own) and then movies. I am not much of a music buff...

Ok folks...what do you think of the below combos/options:

Option 1
Equipment Type Cost
USHER CP-6311 Floor Standing Speakers 110000
USHER X-616 (goes with CP-6311) Center channel Speaker 45000
Velodyne sub 15 series Sub woofer 55000
Sanyo PLV - Z800 LCD Projector 135000
DENON AVR 2310 Receiver 60000
Total 370000

Option 2

Dali Ikon 6 Floor Standing Speakers 78000
Marantz SR-5004 Receiver 59800
Optimo ?? Projector
Total 192800
Which Optimo projectors are good?suggestions if you have already used them or have. Want a full HD one and specifically for gaming/movies. Price also if possible.

Option 3

B&W 684 Floor Standing Speakers 74900
???Any other good receivers in this range? Receiver 60000
??? Projector

Total 189900

I decided to currently just for for floor standing speakers along with a woofer, receiver and projector while get the speaker wiring done for 5.1/7.1 so that I can later just buy those additional speakers.

Your thoughts on the combo and prices also please. Really appreciate your help on this.

Sanket

I have not listened to any of the floorstanders. But I think it is a good decision to postpone the surround purchase. With your selection you can also postpone the subwoofer. As these floorstanders do produce good bass way below 40 Hz.

My guess these speakers need lot of power. May be preamp+AMp combination would better.

For example Emotiva produces a three channel amp is available at $899. I bet that one would do better job than the A/V receiver.

With respect preamp, I am not too sure. If it is ok for you can get used preamps thru AUdiogon(pretty reliable site).

Thanks
Pandu

Addendum to my previous post:

You can consider Paradigm Studio 100 floorstanders. They are very good I guess they are priced in the same range. They too need lot of power.

You will be able to run them thru the A/V receivers but they open more when you connect them thru dedicated amps.

Thanks
Pandu

Hey Poseidon,
IMO, since you are not into Music, I guess you don't have to look at brands like Usher, Dali, etc as they are known for their musicality and hence very expensive. You will be better off by going in for a HT package(Floorstanders, Center, Surrounds except Sub-woofer) from brands like Klipsch, Wharfedale etc. You can then add a powerful sub like the HSU-VTFk3 or a Velodyne.

With the remaining budget, buy a good projector and a powerful AVR/Sound Processor with Power blocks.

You have to tell us more about your preferences like what do you look for while gaming or movies - power? clarity? what is more important - video or audio? etc.

Initially I had actually got quotes from vendors for Klipsch and Wharfedale itself and took the demo of Klipsch at cinebels.

Which projectors and AVR do you recommend and what is a power block?

Honestly when playing games and movies...I look for power during action sequences etc and clarity when simple music is playing (those kind of music where its less to do with metal etc and more to do with lyrics)

Poseidon,
About the dimensions of your room, if it is not too late.... I would suggest you make it 11ft x 19ft or reduce the ceiling height to 8ft with your false ceiling. Reason is, the room acoustics will suffer if one of the dimensions is a multiple of the other - 18ft length and 9ft height in your case.

About the equipment, are you going for the entire Klipsch package? Have a read of the review of the Klipsch F1 by member, denom. The vivitek projector is a good one and is in the same league as the Optoma HD20, but read some reviews online before you buy. From what I had read, both were pretty close in their performance, but I opted for Optoma only because Vivitek is fairly new into making Projectors when compared to Optoma.

Acoustically the sound waves at the wavelength where it will matter will not see a difference with a false ceiling. You can make this false ceiling for other reasons if you wish, however, acoustically it will have no benefit.

cheers
Sridhar

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back