Help on New DAC

SreejithCNair

Hi Friends,

My current setup is Pioneer BDP 180, Marantz NR1506, WFD Diamonds 225, WFD Diamond 220C, Emotiva BasX S12. This set up is being used 60% for music listening. While the player is essentially for Movies, the music source is mostly Apple Music.
I realised I needed a DAC when I switched my source from iPhone SE to 4S. The SQ was mostly flat on SE but when I switched over to an old retired 4S the music just came alive (although) not for all the songs. I connect the iPhone to the front panel USB of NR1506. I have not read much about the DAC used in this AVR thus concluded that a DAC is much needed. Can spend ~25K on a DAC coz going forward I may also look for an appropriate Power Amp.

I read DACmagic 100 & Schiit have good models but wanted to check if there are any that can blend well with my existing setup.

Looking forward to your expert opinions.

What will be your source when you add the DAC to the chain? Will it still be the old 4S? If so you need to check if that version of iOS will support the DAC as an external USB device or not. If you are going to use a laptop or computer then this is a non-issue of course.
Schiit is a safe option at most budgets, Modi 2 Uber has many happy users in the forums. Research well within the forum, there are plenty of threads and posts on DACs.
Schiit, iFi audio, Cambridge Dacmagic, Parasound ZDAC, Maverick Audio tubemagic, Musical Fidelity V90 are some of the more well known names in this segment. The Parasound and Musical Fidelity likely will be out of budget but I would ask if at all possible to take a shot once and be done for quite a few years, if that means shooting higher than expected then go for it.

If you are going to bring a power amp/integrated amp into the mix then that changes the scene completely. Perhaps then look at amplifiers with integrated DACs, such as the Quad Vena or the CA A60. This could well be a better alternative at the moment. Take for example the Marantz 7005 or NAD C328, these will get you going very nicely for stereo. The buil-in DAC will suffice for now, it will be a while before you feel the need for a dedicated DAC.

What will be your source when you add the DAC to the chain? Will it still be the old 4S? If so you need to check if that version of iOS will support the DAC as an external USB device or not. If you are going to use a laptop or computer then this is a non-issue of course.
Schiit is a safe option at most budgets, Modi 2 Uber has many happy users in the forums. Research well within the forum, there are plenty of threads and posts on DACs.
Schiit, iFi audio, Cambridge Dacmagic, Parasound ZDAC, Maverick Audio tubemagic, Musical Fidelity V90 are some of the more well known names in this segment. The Parasound and Musical Fidelity likely will be out of budget but I would ask if at all possible to take a shot once and be done for quite a few years, if that means shooting higher than expected then go for it.

If you are going to bring a power amp/integrated amp into the mix then that changes the scene completely. Perhaps then look at amplifiers with integrated DACs, such as the Quad Vena or the CA A60. This could well be a better alternative at the moment. Take for example the Marantz 7005 or NAD C328, these will get you going very nicely for stereo. The buil-in DAC will suffice for now, it will be a while before you feel the need for a dedicated DAC.
Thanks! I did contemplate adding a good Integrated Amplifier with a good DAC, Eg: PM6006. But since my source is predominantly iPhone, I will have to continue using my AVR. Will use the Amp using the preamp outs in AVR. I read somewhere I can add only power amps and not integrated amps. Not sure if that's right. If that is not an issue I may focus on getting a good Integrated Amp which pairs well with my current setup.

With an appropriate DAC in place, I expect to switch back to SE as source.

If I have to keep a separate DAC, then should it be Schiit modi 2 or Dacmagic 100 or any other one that pairs well with my phone, AVR, etc... I

The MF dac is supposed to be very good at that price

Maybe you can ask the seller for an audition and then let your ears decide

Thanks! I did contemplate adding a good Integrated Amplifier with a good DAC, Eg: PM6006. But since my source is predominantly iPhone, I will have to continue using my AVR. Will use the Amp using the preamp outs in AVR. I read somewhere I can add only power amps and not integrated amps. Not sure if that's right. If that is not an issue I may focus on getting a good Integrated Amp which pairs well with my current setup.

With an appropriate DAC in place, I expect to switch back to SE as source.

If I have to keep a separate DAC, then should it be Schiit modi 2 or Dacmagic 100 or any other one that pairs well with my phone, AVR, etc... I

Pre-out of your AVR to a stereo power amp, yes that will work but will leave a lot to be desired in the long run. AVR pre-outs are not as refined as dedicated preamps or good stereo amplifiers by a long shot, unless this is a top tier AVR.

I prefer the Schiit over Dac Magic, The Musical Fidelity V90 is another very good option to consider.

I know you have mentioned iPhone as your source but I am still asking why that is the case rather why is that your only option? Presumably you will get much better results audio wise if you use say an old laptop with some tweaks.

Pre-out of your AVR to a stereo power amp, yes that will work but will leave a lot to be desired in the long run. AVR pre-outs are not as refined as dedicated preamps or good stereo amplifiers by a long shot, unless this is a top tier AVR.

I prefer the Schiit over Dac Magic, The Musical Fidelity V90 is another very good option to consider.

I know you have mentioned iPhone as your source but I am still asking why that is the case rather why is that your only option? Presumably you will get much better results audio wise if you use say an old laptop with some tweaks.
Let me take the last ques first. I am still exploring on source but iTunes has a good collection. In the absence of Spotify or other quality streaming SPs iTunes seems to be the only logical solution. I tried getting FLACs but could not get many. Hence decided to tune the setup with available source then move forward. Not sure if it’s the right approach but had to keep one variable constant. Yes I tried playing iTunes thru laptop but need for DAC showed up. Wonder the Marantz DAC in NR1506 is that bad?
Heard so about using the preamp out into a power amplifier. Which also means I add separate DAC and connect power amp to it. This sometime later.
Is this how you would rank - Schiit, MF and CA dac magic 100. Which one of Schiit?
I read you could take ur DTH sound the DAC too. Is that true for all the above names? This is only an incidental use
Hope I clarified, happy to discuss.
Thanks for the responses it brings so much clarity of thought and action...

But since my source is predominantly iPhone, I will have to continue using my AVR. Will use the Amp using the preamp outs in AVR. I read somewhere I can add only power amps and not integrated amps. Not sure if that's right. If that is not an issue I may focus on getting a good Integrated Amp which pairs well with my current setup.
I

I also use Apple as my source.
a) It is not necessary to use AVR if you have a separate amp. You might be thinking so, because you are connecting your iphone to AVR using the iphone/usb cable as the only way. However there comes a separate /similar apple cable which can be used to connect iphone 4s to a DAC which has USB input. I have tried that for my iPad.

Suppose you do not want another amp in the picture, and assuming the AVR supports audio input 2 channel, then from dAC output you can plug into that AVR.

b) Another option which I have aswell is.
You have apple tv version 3. (and a wifi router at home).
Then you can stream your iphone 4s music to apple tv. This apple tv has optical out which can be connected to DAC. The DAC audio output then can be plugged to amp / avr.

Amit.

I also use Apple as my source.
a) It is not necessary to use AVR if you have a separate amp. You might be thinking so, because you are connecting your iphone to AVR using the iphone/usb cable as the only way. However there comes a separate /similar apple cable which can be used to connect iphone 4s to a DAC which has USB input. I have tried that for my iPad.

Suppose you do not want another amp in the picture, and assuming the AVR supports audio input 2 channel, then from dAC output you can plug into that AVR.

b) Another option which I have aswell is.
You have apple tv version 3. (and a wifi router at home).
Then you can stream your iphone 4s music to apple tv. This apple tv has optical out which can be connected to DAC. The DAC audio output then can be plugged to amp / avr.

Amit.
option b is the best but sadly for apple tv version 4, optical is deleted.

Based on inputs from here, Modi Multibit seems to be a choice. HPZ are currently outta stock. Expected to be in by month end.
Was thinking if it’s a good idea to build a separate audio setup using the same source I.e. BDP180 and iTunes, and speakers (WFD diamond 225 + basx s12) by adding mimby and a small power amp like a basx a100 or a150 or parasound newclassic Zamp v3 or 275v2 and later add a good budget preamp (?) until then use my current nr1506 as preamp for music. Is that a bad idea in terms SQ?
Not sure where I can get parasound newclassics in Mumbai.
Looking forward to your thoughts.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back