HELP!!! - Optoma HD20 Vertical lines

deepak12

I have an Optoma HD20 (DLP projector), which has started displaying vertical white lines recently. Below are the details
1. White vertical lines evenly spaced (20-25)
2. Random in nature - Sometimes go away when press the top, sometimes go away by themselves, but from the last month, have become more persistent.
3. Total PJ usage till now is less than 100 hours
4. Since I flew it with me from US to India, it is out of warranty, unless I ship it back to US, which seems unlikely at this moment. I think it may have experienced a bump or something in the handbag, since this problem started after coming back to India.

I see DigiComp as the authorized service center for Optoma in India. Do you know about their reputation in Pune or in general. I am a little concerned, since the bulb is practically new, they may swap it with an old/refurbished one. Also, anybody knows, how much the repair costs could be? Hope the DMD is good...

I have no experience with PJs, but just asking, you sure the PJ is not overheating?? Also,since sending back to US is unlikely, your only option is DigiComp ,right?U need to go to them for a checkup, wait out there with the PJ without leaving them with it if u are concerned and see what they have to say about repair costs.

About the new bulb, maybe u can keep it with you after checking up at the repair shop and making sure its NOT the bulb that is the culprit, or u can note down its serial number in front of them...i dont know whether this is possible, just giving ideas. :)

Regards

I see DigiComp as the authorized service center for Optoma in India. Do you know about their reputation in Pune or in general. I am a little concerned, since the bulb is practically new, they may swap it with an old/refurbished one. Also, anybody knows, how much the repair costs could be? Hope the DMD is good...
Digicomp Pune (Wakdewadi) has just a small office here. They don't carry out any repair work here. Mostly it would be sent to Bangalore for repairs by them.
Digicomp is very efficient & professional (or was when I had interacted with them).

Yeah, not an HDMI problem, since I get the lines without any source connected. Also on the overheating, the lines are visible as soon as the projector starts up. I am planning to take it to DigiComp this weekend and see, what they have to say. Regarding the serial number, I did not see it on the lamp/casing, so not sure, if it has one...ideally it should, am just not able to find it.

In general one would never take the risk to over heat the projector and very true, sending back to America for repairs, is generally out of question while the service center is a good way out, these among other ideas i have been suggesting when 2 of the members had the problem with their projectors.

The authorized service center guys will rarely check the item in front of us and giving a quote for repairs across the table is out of question, as they have loads of work etc, they follow the log based on pending work.

V.

I have no experience with PJs, but just asking, you sure the PJ is not overheating?? Also,since sending back to US is unlikely, your only option is DigiComp ,right?U need to go to them for a checkup, wait out there with the PJ without leaving them with it if u are concerned and see what they have to say about repair costs.

Last edited:
Thought of updating you all...I took the projector to DigiComp for repairs and told them how the white vertical lines used to disappear when pressed on the top. They called me next day and mentioned that the DMD chip had to be replaced. So waiting for the repairs to be completed in the next couple of days. Not sure how much it is going to cost. As of now, am hoping that everything is covered under warranty, as nobody asked me for the original sales receipt.

Thought of updating you all...I took the projector to DigiComp for repairs and told them how the white vertical lines used to disappear when pressed on the top. They called me next day and mentioned that the DMD chip had to be replaced. So waiting for the repairs to be completed in the next couple of days. Not sure how much it is going to cost. As of now, am hoping that everything is covered under warranty, as nobody asked me for the original sales receipt.
DMD chip is very costly. I hope you are right about warranty cover. Best of luck!

I hope ur PJ is fixed now. Just curious if it was DMD issue and did they fix it under warranty or you had to pay for it(how much?) I am also getting same issue since last week :-(.....

I may have found an easy solution for this problem. I was having the same problem (vertical black lines (sometimes white) all the way across the viewing area (usually the lines are paired). Sometimes they would come and go depending on the day (regardless of source), but then after awhile I could not get the lines to go away.... until today.

When I pressed down (firmly) on the top of the projector (about 2.5-3 inches behind the screen size dial and maybe an inch inside) I noticed that the lines would change randomly (distance apart, color, etc...) depending on how hard I was pressing. I will mention that I was also applying pressure to the bottom of the unit (so it was more like I was squeezing the projector). After squeezing it several times at a various degrees of firmness, the lines disappeared. I slowly let go of the projector and the lines have not come back since.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I may have found an easy solution for this problem. I was having the same problem (vertical black lines (sometimes white) all the way across the viewing area (usually the lines are paired). Sometimes they would come and go depending on the day (regardless of source), but then after awhile I could not get the lines to go away.... until today.

When I pressed down (firmly) on the top of the projector (about 2.5-3 inches behind the screen size dial and maybe an inch inside) I noticed that the lines would change randomly (distance apart, color, etc...) depending on how hard I was pressing. I will mention that I was also applying pressure to the bottom of the unit (so it was more like I was squeezing the projector). After squeezing it several times at a various degrees of firmness, the lines disappeared. I slowly let go of the projector and the lines have not come back since.

Hope this helps!
Its good that such a workaround exists but frankly this illustrates how poor the build quality of projector really is where slight pressure on projector outer cover affects the enclosed optical unit's picture output.

Have logged in after a long time, so thought of updating you all...my PJ was repaired at zero cost under warranty...was told that the DMD chip was replaced and it has been working fine since then. Am not sure, if I was lucky or just that Optoma India honours the US warranty as well.

Have logged in after a long time, so thought of updating you all...my PJ was repaired at zero cost under warranty...was told that the DMD chip was replaced and it has been working fine since then. Am not sure, if I was lucky or just that Optoma India honours the US warranty as well.
Amazing! DMD chip is one of the costliest thing to replace in a DLP PJ. You have been very lucky!

Did they ask for the bill/receipt?

Here you go!!!! I have an Optoma HD66 that I got from Amazon through ShopYourWorld in Nov 2010. From Jan this year, it started showing white spots on the screen. It started with 2 spots and as of today there are 30+ spots all over the screen. There are 40 more black spots that are not noticable.

They appear to be dead pixels - or stuck mirrors.

I just got in touch with one Mr. Murugendra at Hyderabad, whose number I got from Optoma Toll freen number. Looks like this is a DMD chip issue and it is going to cost me 16K for this repair.

This happens to be a very costly affair for me. The projector ran for 700 or so hours.

Bad time.

Here you go!!!! I have an Optoma HD66 that I got from Amazon through ShopYourWorld in Nov 2010. From Jan this year, it started showing white spots on the screen. It started with 2 spots and as of today there are 30+ spots all over the screen. There are 40 more black spots that are not noticable.

They appear to be dead pixels - or stuck mirrors.

I just got in touch with one Mr. Murugendra at Hyderabad, whose number I got from Optoma Toll freen number. Looks like this is a DMD chip issue and it is going to cost me 16K for this repair.

This happens to be a very costly affair for me. The projector ran for 700 or so hours.

Bad time.
This is sad! I remember you updating us in forum while procuring the PJ. Is it not possible for you to get it done for free as deepak12 did?

I would say that one can conclude that cheap Optoma PJs have poor build quality, be it HD66 or HD20.

No they didn't...they asked for the serial number, which I provided very promptly. I was thinking that maybe at the time of delivery, they will give me a bill, but they did not.

Did they ask for the bill/receipt?
No they didn't...they asked for the serial number, which I provided very promptly. I was thinking that maybe at the time of delivery, they will give me a bill, but they did not.

@rshri - Just look up the Optoma service center number and tell them that the projector is under warranty and if they could check and confirm. They told me that it is under warranty and asked to bring it for repair. Nor they asked, nor I mentioned anything about the bill, so was lucky...I was in Pune BTW

My Optoma HD66 DMD chip is dying. Constellation of white and black spots all over.

Atleast 50 white spots and atleast 1000 black spots.

I have been in touch with Digicomp Sales from Hyderabad on phone for almost fh the past 1 month and one Mr. Murugendra is the one I am talking to. Everytime I call him, he says he would get back to me in 2 mins and doesnt call back. I called him atleast 60 times now and havent got a confirmation if I can get the DMD chip replaced. He quoted the cost as around 16,000. He says he is waiting for update from Bangalore head office.

Is it this hard to get an authorized service center guy to replace the DMD chip for me?

I have had plans to travel to Hyderabad this weekend and wanted to get the DMD chip replaced and so I have been following up for the past 1 month and the date has come up for my travel and he hasnt confirmed it yet.

My bad luck.
Is it worth disposing my projector in its current state and get a new one from US again?

My Optoma HD66 DMD chip is dying. Constellation of white and black spots all over.

Atleast 50 white spots and atleast 1000 black spots.

I have been in touch with Digicomp Sales from Hyderabad on phone for almost fh the past 1 month and one Mr. Murugendra is the one I am talking to. Everytime I call him, he says he would get back to me in 2 mins and doesnt call back. I called him atleast 60 times now and havent got a confirmation if I can get the DMD chip replaced. He quoted the cost as around 16,000. He says he is waiting for update from Bangalore head office.

Is it this hard to get an authorized service center guy to replace the DMD chip for me?

I have had plans to travel to Hyderabad this weekend and wanted to get the DMD chip replaced and so I have been following up for the past 1 month and the date has come up for my travel and he hasnt confirmed it yet.

My bad luck.
Is it worth disposing my projector in its current state and get a new one from US again?
Hmm considering the cost of the DMD chip I would say just get a new one if you can get it from the US... Also I am assuming you might have used the bulb quite a bit so in sometime you might need to get the bulb replaced which is another 12-15k expense... Also going in for a new projector gives you some options to choose from (ie if you wanna upgrade to a 1080p projector)... BTW how long did this HD66 last you??? If it was less than 2 yrs(which I am assuming) then you might be better off buying a projector here in India with warranty...Epson gives 2 yrs warranty in India...

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back