Help playing local HDR files via Kodi

RaaR

Hi

After a long wait I finally purchased my first projector Xgimi H3S (Globally termed: Xgimi Horizon) during singles day sale and I got it in hand this January.

The performance is awesome to my eyes, thanks to @elangoas (from whom I got to know of the brand) and @rainbowsong2000 (allowed me to audition his HT with Xgimi H2) without them I wouldn't have made my decision to go with this brand.

I'm yet to set it up properly, currently projecting on a plain wall painted cream yellow and calibrated the projector to bit cooler end to match accordingly. Paired my projector with Nvidia Shield and they are perfectly working together.

HDR playback via Netflix is fine, even YouTube is good (though not detecting HDR, the colors are good to my eyes - check the HDR mastered works from Tekno3D team (channel name: HDR-X), they are top in their game IMO.

Now my issue is with playing my local HDR files, I tried playing via MX, VLC and even Kodi. All resulted in failure, returning a dull grey or green toned video. I tried googling, reddit-ed too - but can't get to a proper solution.

Projector owners need your assistance here

Hi

After a long wait I finally purchased my first projector Xgimi H3S (Globally termed: Xgimi Horizon) during singles day sale and I got it in hand this January.

The performance is awesome to my eyes, thanks to @elangoas (from whom I got to know of the brand) and @rainbowsong2000 (allowed me to audition his HT with Xgimi H2) without them I wouldn't have made my decision to go with this brand.

I'm yet to set it up properly, currently projecting on a plain wall painted cream yellow and calibrated the projector to bit cooler end to match accordingly. Paired my projector with Nvidia Shield and they are perfectly working together.

HDR playback via Netflix is fine, even YouTube is good (though not detecting HDR, the colors are good to my eyes - check the HDR mastered works from Tekno3D team (channel name: HDR-X), they are top in their game IMO.

Now my issue is with playing my local HDR files, I tried playing via MX, VLC and even Kodi. All resulted in failure, returning a dull grey or green toned video. I tried googling, reddit-ed too - but can't get to a proper solution.

can you try replacing HDMI cable i once faced this issue with other device (WD mediaplayer ) changing cable helped

Hi

Thanks for your Warm Words...

Usually HDR will be little washed out, but Dull Grey and Green toned is a new thing.

And if you are playing a Dolby Vision file, this will happen. Can you please double check ? or post the screenshot please.

Usually HDR will be little washed out, but Dull Grey and Green toned is a new thing.

And if you are playing a Dolby Vision file, this will happen. Can you please double check ? or post the screenshot please.
can you try replacing HDMI cable i once faced this issue with other device (WD mediaplayer ) changing cable helped
I tried changing the cable and the issue still remained.

But finally I figured out the issue, it seems I disabled HDR while disabling MEMC under XGIMI settings and was playing around with HDR via Shield.

And regarding the visuals getting dark for HDR, Xgimi now have a adaptive brightness option which actually gets the HDR content bright to a considerably good amount.

@rainbowsong2000 I will share some sample comparison screenshots with SDR, HDR content With/WO adaptive brightness. If possible video recording too.

Disclaimer before sample sharing: I'm yet to set up a screen and projecting over a creamy yellow wall with a switch board at the left end. Kindly bear with it for now :D

Anyone here having Plex Pass ever tried playing HDR videos?!

Plex seems to have introduced HDR to SDR tonemapping feature which is currently exclusive to Plex Pass holders. Read some good reviews about it and for projector owners struggling with less brightness, this will help as a promising work around.

Plex pass holders do check this feature and share your thoughts

Following are some sample shots from my projector. This is a temporary setting for now, so bear with the switch hub and the line.

Unable to upload the images here hence sharing via imgur

Last edited:
Following are some sample shots from my projector. This is a temporary setting for now, so bear with the switch hub and the line.

Unable to upload the images here hence sharing via imgur

Congrats 👏🎉 it looks quite good. Hv fun!
Can Plz share the price you scored it for and from where did u buy it if u don't mind.

Congrats 👏🎉 it looks quite good. Hv fun!
Can Plz share the price you scored it for and from where did u buy it if u don't mind.
I got it directly from China duringa 11.11 sale, One of my friend from UAE helped me with the purchase and from China it went to UAE. And finally they hand carried it to Chennai. With Price+shipping+currency conversion charges (Dirhams to Yuan transfer) - I got it for 73K along with a 3D glass.

And I should tell this too, 3D experience is also too good. BTW - model name is Xgimi H3S (Chinese Variant), and the equivalent global version is Xgimi Horizon.

I have added few more pictures to the Album now. I'll also add few more images by tomorrow EOD.

If someone can specify specific dark sequences from any movie, I can also grab those screen captures and add to the album for your reference. But I can vouch these are very good with dark scenes too. Currently I am projecting 110 inch diagonal with LED brightness set to 2 out of 10, my wish is to go 130 minimum to 150 max. But the placement distance is a bummer for now

Last edited:
I got it directly from China duringa 11.11 sale, One of my friend from UAE helped me with the purchase and from China it went to UAE. And finally they hand carried it to Chennai. With Price+shipping+currency conversion charges (Dirhams to Yuan transfer) - I got it for 73K along with a 3D glass.

And I should tell this too, 3D experience is also too good. BTW - model name is Xgimi H3S (Chinese Variant), and the equivalent global version is Xgimi Horizon.

I have added few more pictures to the Album now. I'll also add few more images by tomorrow EOD.

If someone can specify specific dark sequences from any movie, I can also grab those screen captures and add to the album for your reference. But I can vouch these are very good with dark scenes too. Currently I am projecting 110 inch diagonal with LED brightness set to 2 out of 10, my wish is to go 130 minimum to 150 max. But the placement distance is a bummer for now
Thnx for sharing

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back