Help!!! Purchasing of reciever frm USA

harsha.chelikani

Hello im a newbie and was wondering will a denon 3310ci reciver available in USA work in india...have a doubt due to the region code present there is ntsc and here is pal and how should one address the voltage issue...thanks in advance for help

My advice is to not buy anything from USA at all. As you might be knowing, USA has 110V and we in India have voltages ranging from 170 to 300V !!! The power is probably more stable/clean in US and that is why the electric equipment from USA just don't survive in India.

Hello im a newbie and was wondering will a denon 3310ci reciver available in USA work in india...have a doubt due to the region code present there is ntsc and here is pal and how should one address the voltage issue...thanks in advance for help

I dont think you have to worry about NTSC / PAL issues . You need to buy a step down transformer and if you have complete home theatre setup you can also think of buying a powercenter (monster AV 800) . I heard they replace the product incase of power fluctuation / surge (not only AV800 entire gear connected to it as well ) I am planning to get one costs about 5000Rs.

Thanks,
Kittu

Harsh,

Got Denon 2310 last month for US. There are 2 options

1) Get a 110 V and add a step down transformer to use in India
2) Get a 220 V in USA. This is normally 100-200 USD costiler.

I opted for second option and got a 220 V from a store called gandhiappliances in Chicago.

All the best

Harsh,

Got Denon 2310 last month for US. There are 2 options

1) Get a 110 V and add a step down transformer to use in India
2) Get a 220 V in USA. This is normally 100-200 USD costiler.

I opted for second option and got a 220 V from a store called gandhiappliances in Chicago.

All the best

Specs look *SOLID* :licklips:
Did you get it with you? No issues with Customs? How'd you wrap it so that it stays good in transit?

Hi,

I got my 110V rated Onkyo AVR from US few years ago and have been using it with a step down transformer (Maxine brand) all the time without issues. In fact same transformer is also powering my JBL HTiB consisting of a 100W active subwoofer. Use of a voltage stabilizer stage feeding into the transformer would help address voltage fluctuations. That said, it would be better to go for 220V version as it would be easier to get it serviced in India if need arises in future.

Shriram

Last edited:
Don't worry about NTSC/PAL compatibility issues as people have already suggested. All modern TVs are capable of handling both.

You'll need to buy a 230->115 step down transformer. Power cycle frequency in the US is 60Hz and it's 50Hz in India. So a little higher voltage (115 instead of 110) should suit well. Most transformers available in market can't supply their rated maximum currents. So buy one whose rating is 30 to 50% higher than what you need. I believe a 900W transformer should suffice for you. If transformer is of lower than required capacity, it'll cause a humming sound (brrrr...........). That'll not only be disturbing while listening to music/movies, but may result in heating of the transformer.

If you have an inverter at home, don't even by mistake use the transformer on it. Most home inverters don't produce a quality sinusoidal output - resulting in a lot of transformer hum and heating. I have burned one such transformer by connecting to an inverter. I was lucky enough to spot burning smell before it heated too much.

Power quality in India is bad. Voltages keep varying from 130 to 270 as others have pointed out. We unfortunately can't help it. Electronics purchased from India is equally vulnerable to this problem. Best strategy is to shutdown all electronics (including refrigerators) when voltage is low. (I don't own a home voltage protector product which does this automatically, so can't vouch for it).

Harsha - Not sure if you're still interested in the information that the members are pouring in here. Please do write back if you are interested in any more info and I can share my equipment details. AVR, AMP, SUB, DVDP etc all rated 110v.

Congrats Sonic - have a blast! What speaker set-up 've u got it hook up with?

I have started the AV journey with this (2310) purchase. Now i am looking for a 2.0 setup and auditioning for a good Floor Standers (primarily considering Wharfedale 9.5/9.6/10.7). I am almost decided on CDP (Marantz CD6003)

Well, though the 2310 is good to start with, I wouldn't recommend that you plan your floorstanders to suit this AVR. Sorry if I'm sounding negative, but in my experience mid-range receivers like this lack the power to drive floorstanders to their full potential.

I would IMO suggest that you try a pair of bookshelves (Whar 9.2, Mission M32i MA BR2 etc) for your fronts and definitely supplement them with a good 8-10" sub. This combo again IMO would give you better freq. dist for movies and music alike.

May I suggest that you audition such a set-up (2b.1) and make a comparison with 2f.0 and see which combo you like the best. Again it would be a better idea for u to lug ur receiver (and the 110v transformer!) along for the audition.

Bottomline: Spend more time making the decision and the answer lies in audioning the stuff. Nothing beats ur ears!

do floor standers need more power? I think this is a blanket statement - many fs have greater sensitivity than bookshelves.

Agree with you anm. More power reqd is possibly wrong terminology. For a given sensitivity of spkrs do you believe a stereo-amp and a similarly rated AVR should sound alike (assume both the amp and avr are of the same make, Yamaha in this instance).

I'm not so thoroughly knowledgeable to explain what other parameter sets the amp different to an AVR of similar power but I for sure hear them sound quite different with the music output by the amp much more clear, crisp and detailed across the frequency spectra.

Other thing I've noticed is the damping factors of amps to be generally much higher than similarly powered AVRs and not sure if this is what that results in better sounds from stereo amps?? Appreciate if you or someone can help alleviate my ignorance, tks

Well, though the 2310 is good to start with, I wouldn't recommend that you plan your floorstanders to suit this AVR. Sorry if I'm sounding negative, but in my experience mid-range receivers like this lack the power to drive floorstanders to their full potential.

I would IMO suggest that you try a pair of bookshelves (Whar 9.2, Mission M32i MA BR2 etc) for your fronts and definitely supplement them with a good 8-10" sub. This combo again IMO would give you better freq. dist for movies and music alike.

May I suggest that you audition such a set-up (2b.1) and make a comparison with 2f.0 and see which combo you like the best. Again it would be a better idea for u to lug ur receiver (and the 110v transformer!) along for the audition.

Bottomline: Spend more time making the decision and the answer lies in audioning the stuff. Nothing beats ur ears!

Yes, I am restraining from taking any impusive buying decisions and carefully planning. Now I am in Pre-audition stage (compiling a list of best audio tracks for audition, which covers different musical instruments). :D

Totally agree with you, 2310 may not unlock the full potential of these FS (in a way I am not even expecting them to do). The primary reason I was looking to spend a bit more on speaker is, I treat them as a long term investment, atleast for 15 years and I don't mind spending a little bit more even though it is not worth with current setup. As I am building the HT component by component, I may add or upgrade AV Sources, display units, integrated amplifiers and AVRs in next couple of years. I don't want this upgradation to be constrained by already possesed speaker setup. Do you see any problem with this approach ?

Thanks man.

Sonic - Forgot to metion one point re purchasing AVRs from the US. Please be aware that the FM frequencies that the AVRs inbuilt radio tuner can tune into are only odd no frequencies. Ie. 87.5Mhz then 87.7, 87.9, 90.1 etc...
You can't tune into even nos like 87.6Mhz etc even if you tried manual tuning. I realised this after I got the receiver. Consequently I can't tune into stations like 104.8FM (Chennai Live), the only dedicated english music station in Chennai.

I've worked around this issue by getting a separate radio tuner Sony XDR-F1HD, again from the US.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back