Help Required in selecting appropriate amplifier

Dantedanger

Hi there,

First post on this forum and I'd really appreciate some advice. I've just picked up my first 5.1 surround sound speakers set - Yamaha NS-P20 :

Yamaha NS-P20

I've been trying to select an amp to match them up with and have had a look at the following Huyandai :

Huyandai

Do you think this amp would work okay with the speakers? I've read a little about this and I think you need to match up the wattage with on both the amps and speakers, but I really am not sure. Any advice or guidance on the suitability of this would be appreciated. If this amp isnt suitable, I'd really appreciate recommending one that would, budget is around 100 - 200. I appreciate this is a pretty low budget, but its my first system and I am really just trying to learn about it.

Really appreciate any advice and guidance,

Many thanks in advance,

Best,

Lee

You have to check 2 things: 1) Impedance and 2) Wattage.

1) Impedance - the amplifier should be certified for supporting the speaker's impedances. For eg: If you use a 6 Ohm speaker with an 8 Ohm amplifier than you are risking shorting out the amplifier. The other way round - 8 ohm speaker with 6 Ohm amplifier - you wont get optimal output from the speaker.

In your case, the amplifier page mentions the speaker impedances should be between 4 to 8 Ohms. Ensure your speaker's impedance is between these values.

2) Wattage: The amplifier should be able to deliver equal or more wattage than the speaker demands. Your speakers are rated for 100W. That means your amp. should be able to supply 100W or more. Otherwise if you turn up the volume, the Amp. will produce a clipped output and burn out - and your speakers will be damaged trying to reproduce this clipped output. In your case, the amp. seems to be rated at 145W, which should be OK for these speakers.

Dan,

An entry level YAMAHA AVR would be sufficient for the package you are owning.As you are in London try any yamaha AVR at online stores with 70W output perchannel.

Try for Yamaha V371 which Should be around your budget.Also try all V3** MODELS, and pick which is fixed to the budget.But am pretty sure that any V3** models can drive your package

Welcome to HiFiVision....

You can choose either one of the below mentioned AV Receivers RX-V373 (or) RX-V473.

Yamaha RX-V373 5.1 Ch HD AV Receiver - Black Finish: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

YAMAHA RXV373 3D READY HOME CINEMA RECEIVER: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Yamaha RX-V473 5.1 Network Home Cinema Receiver (Black): Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers

These AVRs are more suitable for the Yamaha NS-P20 speaker package. All the AVRs are having 100W per channel. So, they will drive your speakers well. Moreover Yamaha
AVRs match very well with Yamaha speakers.

Hi everyone,

thank you for taking the time to respond - this is perfect.

I'm going to go for a Yamaha RXV-371 or RXV-373 - they have the HDMI inputs that the Hyundai one does not and are definately compatible with my speakers.

thanks again for the guidance and explanation - it is much appreciated :)

Also, if anyone happens to know a decent website that would give me some guidance on home audio, please feel free to share with me - i'd really like to build my own knowledge up :)

Best,

Lee

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back