Help setting up Denon 2113 + Airtel HD DVR + Panasonic Viera Plasma

ankitbhargava

A complete newbie to Hifi world

Just built up this set
Denon 2113CI A/V Receiver
Warfedale Obsidian 600 HT
Panasonic 42" Plasma (not sure of Model number but it has 1 HDMI Port)
and ofcourse Airtel HD DVR

I am trying to get the wiring system in Place and configuring the way I can enjoy HD Channels with proper Dolby.

I have connected this way
Airtel DVR -- Optical --- Denon AVR for Audio
Airtel -- HDMI -- TV for Video

I can experience 5.1 sound in selected HD Channels like Movies Now HD

Now I have got another problem to deal with :)

I just have 1 HDMI Port on my TV which is now directly connected with Airtel DVR for Video. If I have to play Movie on DVD or access the GUI of Denon ... I have to keep switching the HDMI cables into TV and Port is painfully located at the rear.

I also tried this way

Airtel DVR -- HDMI -- Denon AVR (purpose is to just send Video)
Airtel DVR -- Optical -- Denon AVR (for Audio)
Denon AVR - HDMI - TV (to display Video)

However in this scenario Denon AV Receiver is taking in sound and video both through HDMI (which does not output 5.1).

I tried some input setting in Denon AVR to configure the way that Airtel DVR -- HDMI -- Denon AVR for ONLY Video and Optical connection for Audio, however it dint work.

Any more ideas? Anyone who can help with configuring Denon 2113?

In Denon AVR there is option to assign optical/coaxial input to hdmi. Did you try that? If it doesn't work then buy a 4 port hdmi switch.

In Denon AVR there is option to assign optical/coaxial input to hdmi. Did you try that? If it doesn't work then buy a 4 port hdmi switch.

I tried the settings but unable to understand how to do it

In the Row it says Cbl/Sat should I select HDMI1 in HDMI and Opt in Digital?

Thanks for your response

I am sure I am mistaking somewhere configuring inputs

In the Row "Sat/Cab" under HDMI I chose "HDMI 1" and Digital I chose "Opt"
Is this the right way?

Just need to ensure I restrict the Airtel -- HDMI -- AVR connection to Video only and audio comes from Optical connection

The connection is correct. But in Denon settings, did you select Optical as digital input for HDMI1? Then in your STB select Optical as the sound device (not sure if that will mute hdmi audio). If STB sends audio through both hdmi and optical then avr will process hdmi audio only and you will not get true surround.

the best way to do this would be to connect all devices to the AVR and AVR to TV via HDMI. You might have to play around with settings, but it will work. Once you have that sorted, run Audyssey and you are good to go.

The connection is correct. But in Denon settings, did you select Optical as digital input for HDMI1? Then in your STB select Optical as the sound device (not sure if that will mute hdmi audio). If STB sends audio through both hdmi and optical then avr will process hdmi audio only and you will not get true surround.

I know its a pain but could you please explain how to do it?

As I said in my input Assign screen, this is what I have opted
Input | HDMI | Digital | Comp
CBL/Sat | HDMI1 | Optical | None

under HDMI Section its just asking select between HDMI 1/2/3/4/5/6

Also under Airtel STB settings I do not see any option to select sound device

the best way to do this would be to connect all devices to the AVR and AVR to TV via HDMI. You might have to play around with settings, but it will work. Once you have that sorted, run Audyssey and you are good to go.

Thats exactly what I did in scenario 1
However the sound received via Airtel --- HDMI --- A/V Reciever --- HDMI --- TV is stereo

I believe many forums mention that for Airtel is not able to send 5.1 sound through HDMI.

You have correctly assigned optical input to hdmi1. Also make sure that stb is connected to hdmi1. As I said before, if both hdmi and optical carry audio, then avr will use hdmi audio and you won't get real 5.1.

There should be an option on Airtel DVR to send sound either via HDMI or via SPDIF/Co -ax. I got tatasky HD and it has option as such.

Happy

I just played more with Audio settings and now getting 5.1 sound via Optical connection

Dear Ankith bharghav,

I am also struck with same issues. I have Denon x1000 AVR with Airtel DTH HD and when i change the channel, will not get audio from optical cable, i need to switch off and on the AVR everytime. can you share your settings where you are getting proper 5.1 audio??

Thanks in advance

Nags

ankitbhargava -- Glad to know it worked for you.....I have a denon 1911 with TS HD+ & Panny .... and have no problem with HD Audio across ...

I am curious to know if HDMI CEC works on your Airtel HD Setup + Denon...

a simple way to test it is to change volume using Airtel Remote... or Change channels using Denon remote.... Can you pls test it ?

Before that you would need to ensure HDMI Controls are enabled on the denon.

BTW - you dont need optical cable for DD / DTS. (5.1 Surround). HDMI is more than ok.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back