Help setting up YPAO and Sub with Yamaha RX-V373 !

vj_box

I finally had my new setup up and running this morning..

Here is what it consists of now.

Yamaha 373- US region- powered by Integrated instruments 500W step-down transformer (custom made)

Polk audio TL Blackstone speakers

Polk audio PSW110 sub

Other AV gear- PS3, ASUS i7 laptop which is connected to the 373.

1. I hooked up the speakers and the sub to the reciever this morning and started to setup things. Tried initiating YPAO in the 373 - it is throwing an error saying the front speakers are not connected while they are indeed connected and I am able to do the test tone on all of them. Thus the setup process is not going further and I end up exiting the setup.

2. Now coming to the Polk sub, the sub sounds a bit boomy currently. The sub is connected with an RCA to the LFE. I tried setting the phase to both 0 and 180, no real difference. Played a few movies including Avatar, Dark Knight and a few songs to test them. I doubt if its my living room causing the boomy sound ? The hall is quite empty with minimal furniture or objects.

Can you please help me out with the YPAO and the boomy bass issue ?

Thanks!

Vijay

what is your speaker impedance ? By default yamaha 373 is set for 8ohms speaker.
Dont set anything in the equaliser. Hope you have set the speaker sizes set properly.
Empty hall is not good for acoustics. You could try some curtains.

what is your speaker impedance ? By default yamaha 373 is set for 8ohms speaker.
Dont set anything in the equaliser. Hope you have set the speaker sizes set properly.
Empty hall is not good for acoustics. You could try some curtains.

They are 8 ohm. The speaker sizes are indeed set to small and the subwoofer is set to use.

There are curtains at the back.

Any inputs on the sub settings with the 373 since you own one ?

I am wondering whats the issue with YPAO!

Try this,
- Disconnect the front speakers, try to run YPAO (it may throw an error, but just to reset), connect the speakers again and try.
- For Subwoofer see what is the Crossover set from AVR (Ideal is 80 Hz for movies), also check Level (volume) should be 0 (ideally), but if it sounds boomy try to reduce it to -3 or further.

Best Practice is to set 120 Hz corssover from AVR, Then , connect using "Y" SW cable.
This enables you to set crossover from SW itself. (rule of thumb : set 80 Hz for movies ; Set 100 Hz for Music).
As stated by others empty room will be boomy, anyways ;) try to put some stuff, preferably curtains, may soak your boominess :)
SW takes some time to break-in, say, 20-25 hours of running in period, after that boomyness may go.. All the Best.

All the best.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back