help! to setup a HT with starting budget 30,000

ranjeethundal

hi folks, need your help to setup a good system for 30,000 approx.
i intend to setup a 2.1 initially and upgrade to a 5.1 subsequently.
please help with the following
a) AV player
b) amp - upgradable upto 5.1
c) speakers - initially a 2.1, will upgrade to 5.1 in sometime
please give your valuable feedback
thanks
ranjeet

What's the primary use? Music or movies?

30K is limited. Not many AVRs in that price range and then you also need to add a source and 2 speakers + 1 sub in that 30K.

I'd say a HTIB from Onkyo or Yamaha will give you the 5.1 right now and for source you can use a PC or a DVDP that plays all formats, but this will be good for movies... music though will not sound great.

If you can give more information on what your requirement is and also how much budget you will be able to allocate later?

In 30K, you can buy entry level 5.1 HTiBs like Denon 1312XP, Onkyo 3500 etc. These have AVRs with HD audio and 3D support. No blu-ray or dvd player in the HTiB. If you want to upgrade step by step, then I'm afraid to say that 30K is not enough. An entry level AVR will cost you around 22K and in 8K you won't get a good 2.1 speaker.

Why dont you consider this ?

Yamaha 5.1 Ch Home Theater Pkg- RX-V371 with NS-P70+1 & Mission ms-8 Subwoofer | eBay

Yamaha 5.1 Ch Home Theater Pkg- RX-V371 with NS-P70+1 & Mission ms-8 Subwoofer
MRP- Rs. 49,850 Offer Price-Rs. 27,990 & 1 YR WARRANTY

Proven RX-V371 AVR , Good entry level AVR for sure.

The active MS-8 sub will let you enjoy the low end frequencies , it also has a crossover to set you desired frequency range for the sub.

Bookshelves too are good for entry level. Wooden casing bookshelves as well as center speaker.

What do experts have to say about this? Do have there views.

thanks guys for inputs.
so i think 30k is too less a b udget.
lets say we keep the source out, what are the options for a good AVR + decent speakers.
looking for a good avr to stay for long with most of latest features and a a decent, good 2.1 speakers to last for some time.
i would be using the system mostly for music and movies occasionaly.
also give your inputs/reviews for Yamaha 5.1 Ch Home Theater Pkg- RX-V371 with NS-P70+1 & Mission ms-8 Subwoofer
thanks..

That's categorized as Consumer Electronics > MP3 Accessories > Earphones, Earbuds... No wonder I can never finding anything on Ebay.

Why dont you consider this ?

Yamaha 5.1 Ch Home Theater Pkg- RX-V371 with NS-P70+1 & Mission ms-8 Subwoofer | eBay

Proven RX-V371 AVR , Good entry level AVR for sure.

The active MS-8 sub will let you enjoy the low end frequencies , it also has a crossover to set you desired frequency range for the sub.

Bookshelves too are good for entry level. Wooden casing bookshelves as well as center speaker.

What do experts have to say about this? Do have there views.

For music its better to go with a stereo setup and it works perfectly fine for movies (without the surround sound effects).

In 30K you can get Norge + Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 combo and it will be good for music.

thanks guys for inputs.
lets say we keep the source out, what are the options for a good AVR + decent speakers.
looking for a good avr to stay for long with most of latest features and a a decent, good 2.1 speakers to last for some time.
also give your inputs/reviews for Yamaha 5.1 Ch Home Theater Pkg- RX-V371 with NS-P70+1 & Mission ms-8 Subwoofer
thanks..

That's categorized as Consumer Electronics > MP3 Accessories > Earphones, Earbuds... No wonder I can never finding anything on Ebay.

Indian sellers are bad at categorizing goods on ebay. Well its always easy to type in the name of the product in the search box on top of the page and then sort what interests you. I typed "Yamaha" and reached there ;)

For music its better to go with a stereo setup and it works perfectly fine for movies (without the surround sound effects).

In 30K you can get Norge + Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 combo and it will be good for music.

Why does everyone on this forum, swears by this NORGE + Whrfy combo??
Are others combo un-available or this is the only proven solution for budget buyers ?

Norge + Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 combo . is it upgradeable.
coz i definately want to move upto a 5.1 sometime later.
i am ready to stretch my budget upto 40k.

thanks guys for inputs.
thanks..

Seperates out perform HTIB/Satellite-Subwoofer Combo very easily. Nothing to worry. 30K is a very good budget to start with. Since you can't get a NEW receiver & BS speaker, i would suggest take the used route.

Keep aside 10K for an used AVR. Many in this forum would upgrade & sell thier AVR @ modest prices. Try your luck in the Wanted section of the forum. You should be able to source one but you may need to wait for atleast 10 -15 days.

Now you have 20K for the speakers. Even a entry level BS speaker from international brands would cost anywhere between 15 - 20K.

I would recommend Sonodyne (Indian Brand @ modest prices) Sonus 1501 BS Speaker (9K) for now. Which leaves you with an other 10 - 11K in Hand. You can go for the Center channel speaker from Sonodyne C2401 for 6K. Now you have a 3.0 setup. You can enjoy music + Movies (3.0). Subwoofer is critical for movies, but since you are tight on budget, you can disregard that now.

@ a later point of time when you can afford more, add the rear surronds & Subwoofer.

When you are on a budget, build your HT/Stereo setup over a period of time. You can have a world class system.

Good Luck :D

Why does everyone on this forum, swears by this NORGE + Whrfy combo??
Are others combo un-available or this is the only proven solution for budget buyers ?

Not sure about others but I've not heard any other BS under 20K that sounds better than the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (I'm not saying I've heard everything).

Norge, well its the most VFM. I would recommend Behringer A500 but that costs more locally.

Norge + Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 combo . is it upgradeable.
coz i definately want to move upto a 5.1 sometime later.
i am ready to stretch my budget upto 40k.

Not upgradeable. If you really want 5.1 then go with an AVR but my only gripe is its not going to be musical and you stress that music is your main criteria with occasional movies.

HI people , Im also taking a trip down the same road as Ranjeeth.
Im currently at dubai and looking at an entry level amp/AVR that i can carry on my way back to chennaiand source speakers locally in Chennai(New /Used) .
The entry level denon costs around 12K here in Dubai.I have a Full HD TV Toshiba 40 " and want to take advantage of that.
Just a lil confused if i need to cough up the extra $ for the AVRs which does video upscaling to HD , is it worth it ?

Any suggestion welcome.
Thanks

Claude

Last edited:
What's the primary use? Music or movies?

30K is limited. Not many AVRs in that price range and then you also need to add a source and 2 speakers + 1 sub in that 30K.

I'd say a HTIB from Onkyo or Yamaha will give you the 5.1 right now and for source you can use a PC or a DVDP that plays all formats, but this will be good for movies... music though will not sound great.

If you can give more information on what your requirement is and also how much budget you will be able to allocate later?

Dear Brother you are looking as well experienced listener therefore please suggest me for which one is beeter in true sense a yamaha set up or a onkyo set up or a pioneer set up or any other? my priprity is very fine music and vocals mainly vocals as i am entirely new but wish to set up an home theater after viewing various brands and products and there specs personally i liked yamaha RX-V671 and NS-777 but i have never seen them never experienced if you are having any ideas about them and for rest of the speakers please suggest and i also dont know how to ask for this help from my other various experience holder big music brothers present on this site therefore if you can guide me about all this you are most welcome my email is [email protected],
Thanking you

Wanted to ask expert members, that whether this system should be a recommended buy for a casual music listener ?

Details :-

Will this setup in whole , give acceptable music quality and quantity? Enough for a 11x12 room ? Enough tight punchy bass in Music ?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back