Help with a home audio network

vkalia

I am trying to set up an wireless home audio system that bypasses my computer (for a bunch of reason, this is a mandatory requirement).

I have a Synology NAS set up, and want advice re a device which would be able to stream the music off the NAS and give a digital out into my DAC. My requirements:
- the device should be very compact
- digital out
- have an Android or iOS app I can use to control the music

Suggestions?

I have a Google Chromecast Audio device but am not sure whether it would work in the above situation. Help appreciated :)

Raspberry pi with the Allo audio digione signature board

Run Logitech music server on the Synology, let the raspberry pi be the end point

Then get a digital out via the digione signature board and that will connect to the dac

DONE

Is there no off-the-box solution? I really dont feel like setting up computers, etc. etc. PNP is my preference :)

Auraliac Aries mini comes to mind as a cmpact streamer but has only iOS app. It's larger in size but your could try a Cambridge audio cxn

Last edited:
Lots of options these days limited by your budget. Auralic, NAD, PS Audio, parasound, Cambridge Audio, Sonore etc all provide streamers based on uPnP. Of course a RaPi will also work well.

With Logitech media server on NAS, Logitech squeezebox touch works very well.
- Touch screen
- Digital out : optical & rca, USB with thrid party plugin
- Built in DAC is way better than starting range DAC

Disclaimer : I have one for sale, posted in sale section.

Any RF in the house is to be discouraged. As it is the Wi-Fi for the Internet is running most of the time. Hope everyone follows the procedure of switching the Wi-Fi off when not in use and especially at night. They have found RF fields affect us negatively. Lots of the reports have been suppressed. The mobile phone being the worst due to the proximity of the brain. There is plenty of information on this. Read it up before we run into an irreversible problems. Keep all the young kids away from RF signals. The worst thing to see is toddlers playing with mobile phones. Its a killer. By the time the damage is done you cannot reverse it.
As far as possible wire up everything. Minimise or eliminate RF at home. Turn them all off when not in use.

Lots of options these days limited by your budget. Auralic, NAD, PS Audio, parasound, Cambridge Audio, Sonore etc all provide streamers based on uPnP. Of course a RaPi will also work well.

True enough, but any compact units? The only one I found is the Arcam rPlay and I may just pick that up next week in Singapore.

Aurlaic aries mini is compact enough and has a wonderful app to go with
It's not roon ready

True enough, but any compact units? The only one I found is the Arcam rPlay and I may just pick that up next week in Singapore.

I have tested Aurlaic aries mini, it is the most compact but had few latency issues.

There is a Yamaha wxc50 music cast on sale right now. I would vote for that. You will find my impressions regarding its usage in the same thread. I haven't compared it to anything else. But certainly sounds different to the chromecast on tidal. I feel more body and a fuller sound. But it could just be expectation bias too. I dont have very good ears, so I wouldn't comment on sound quality.

But its usability is top notch. Has never dropped connection. The app never hangs . And no software glitches at all. And Yamaha keeps pushing updates frequently to its music cast systems. So all good from a usability perspective.

But if you are willing to stretch a bit more, the blue sound node 2 will be the next stop. I've never used one. But I have a blue sound powernode (basically a all in one streamer +dac+amp ). And the blue sound app and eco system is also very robust. I enjoy its functionality too. I would hazard a guess that the node2i, which has just been released might sound superior to the wxc50. And the blue sound does MQA too, which the yamaha wxc50 doesnt do.

Thanks for that, guys. So far, i am leaning towards the Arcam rPlay, Auralic Aries Mini or the Bluesound Node 2 - they have the compact size that i am looking for (this is for a desktop system) and a price that works for me. I want to avoid the larger, component-sized devices if i can.

The Arcam looks like it would work, but i have come across pretty bad reviews of its control app (DTS Play Fi). That alone puts me off this one.

The Bluesound Node 2 is a candidate - should be readily available and has a sol. I assume it works without any hitches with a Synology NAS and uPnP?

The Auralic is probably my leading candidate, as it lets me add a SSD to the unit as well. I see a dealer in Singapore is selling this - hopefully, he has it in stock. If so, that's the one i am getting. Lack of Roon integration isnt an issue for me.

A wildcard is the Cocktail Audio X10 or X12 as well, if i can find one in stock somewhere.

I had tried a base version of cocktail audio. The app seriously needed work and build was nothing great
But as with all companies the higher end devices in the chain might be much better then the base version

As far as app goes the Aries app is leagues ahead then the other two devices you are considering

No experience with blue sound but have heard good things about it

The Aries Mini is not discontinued, right? It is showing as OOS on the Auralic website. Fingers crossed, i can get my paws on one next week.

Yes sir , it does show sold out on their website
So maybe a new version is around the corner
But on the other hand the dealers would still be having some stock
If you are not in terrible hurry maybe you can inquire with singapore dealer if new version is launching soon and maybe wait for it .

Also please note the aries mini works at its best with a LPS. (Linear power supply)
Is it going in your main setup then maybe you consider it. If you are not over crtical about the sound and it's only for casual listening then you can avoid it

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back