Help with budget speakers (strictly <10K)

adroit_91

Hi guys,

I had been blissfully watching movies and listening to movies on my AKG K701s paired with Fiio E5 amps. But, now that I am married, I plan to buy a TV (for which I am sure I'll need to scour much more of this expansive forum) and then a Home Theater afterwards.

But this post is about speakers. For the time-being, I need to pair a decent set of speakers with my Macbook Pro (mentioned so that knowledgeable folks can comment on the quality of the audio output) or sometimes a Lenovo Y560. Being able to pair with my iPods/iPhone through the Fiio E5s would be an added advantage.

I haven't been able to do much research, as the only "better" speakers that my nearby Croma stores (I've checked 3 in Bangalore) have are the Altec Lansing Octane 7 and the Logitech Z523.

Thanks!

The Audioengine A2s (about 9K now on Bajaao.com) should fit your bill. They are excellent speakers for the price.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

The Audioengine A2s seem to have good reviews, but the Wharfedales look a little funny! Perhaps they are "meant" to be wall mountable! I need something that I can place on a desk. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Anything from Klipsch in that price range? Also, where can I audition Audioengine A2s in Bangalore?

Thanks jatin!

How would the "Cambridge Audio S30" sound compared to the JBL Control Ones, or the Audioengine A2s? I found this on a page on the Topping Tp20s on the forum! :)

Also, which of these can be used without an amp (preferable because the desk space is limited, plus I would try to limit my spending as this is not "the" final audio system I would be buying!).

There is no one I think who has compared them side by side.

AE2 have a built in amp.

I have JBL and am happy with the, Topping is such a small amp that I doesn't requires too much space.

How would the "Cambridge Audio S30" sound compared to the JBL Control Ones, or the Audioengine A2s? I found this on a page on the Topping Tp20s on the forum! :)

This thread is also relevant (esp. Post #12): http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/...audio-s30-topping-tp20-nuforce-icon-udac.html

Also, which of these can be used without an amp (preferable because the desk space is limited, plus I would try to limit my spending as this is not "the" final audio system I would be buying!).

You might find the AE2s more amenable to these 2 requirements. They are active speakers, so no amp is needed. Lesser wires to setup, one less power outlet needed, and lesser space needed on the desktop. The AE2s were my "starter system" too, which is why I recommend them very much :)

Thanks a lot guys! I think the Audioengine A2s seem to fit my bill very well!

Any other suggestion for speakers with in-built amp would be appreciated. Also, where in Bangalore can I have a demo for these speakers?

You can try ARN Retail Management 66/1 Coles Road, Frazer Town (080 41234644). They have A5s. So I'm guessing that they would have A2s as well. I have been meaning to audition both of them myself. Let me know how you find them compared to each other. Oh yeah, sorry for hijacking the thread, but while we are on the subject of computer speakers, how important would it be to get a USB DAC? Also, what are the available options in India? I found the audioengine wireless thingy, but it's a bit pricey I think (~7k). Not sure how good it is too.

jatinmalhotra;I can suggest 2 options AE2 and Topping Tp20 (3.7K) with JBL Control One (7.5K). There is a huge thread on the forum. Search topping and you will get good info.[/QUOTE said:
Where can one audition / buy Audio engine A2 in Delhi ?

:)

You can try ARN Retail Management 66/1 Coles Road, Frazer Town (080 41234644). They have A5s. So I'm guessing that they would have A2s as well. I have been meaning to audition both of them myself. Let me know how you find them compared to each other. Oh yeah, sorry for hijacking the thread, but while we are on the subject of computer speakers, how important would it be to get a USB DAC? Also, what are the available options in India? I found the audioengine wireless thingy, but it's a bit pricey I think (~7k). Not sure how good it is too.

Well,I picked up the Nuforce udac to pair with my Audioengine A5s.Seemed to tighten up the bass quite a bit:).

Well,I picked up the Nuforce udac to pair with my Audioengine A5s.Seemed to tighten up the bass quite a bit:).

Yeah, I saw that and a few others on amazon too (notably the HRT MS 2 about which I had read somewhere too) within the 100-150 $ bracket. Any idea where I can them from in India?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back