Help with HT issues

Acuity

Hi guys, I bought an apartment recently. Below is an image of the partly done hometheater. The speaker wiring is not yet done, but the pipes within the walls for the wires are done, and I am considering moving the rear speakers to the sides by making new piping. This is for a 5.1 system.

Not sure what will be the better option: have speakers at the rear about 5' behind the sitting position), or have them at the sides of the sitting position.

scr355b.jpg

(Image link)

1. Please advise what will be better: Rear-5' behind, or on the sides?
2. What should be the optimum height at which the speakers should be placed.
3. What speaker wire can I use - am looking for something highly economical - (as I plan to sell the home in 3-4 years.)
4. What would be economical sound damping material, say within Rs 10k (the false ceiling is made of gypsum - it will be plastered and painted).

I browsed previous posts for sound damping and got more lost.

Speakers: I am yet to buy my 5.1 HT system. But I most likely will be using front ported speakers such as Monitor Bronze BX2 at the rear.

Thanks a lot

In 5.1 setup, the surround speakers are supposed to be at 45 degrees, behind the seating position. So, your current speaker location at the back is not optimal. Neither will your new location to move those to the side. For 5.1, you need to move those in the two back corners.

But, you are very fortunate to have this layout and its perfect for 7.1. Leave your current back speakers where they are, and then add two new side speakers where you are proposing. Your room at 18 ft is very long. So, your sound space is at front and then the surround speakers in 5.1. That's either front or back. Rather, go with 7.1 for full engulfing sound around you. Moreover, the surrounds in 7.1 setup also help widen the sound stage as these don't have to deal with back surround sounds anymore. Very few people have space to implement 7.1. Since you have it, make the maximum utilization.

About the height of speakers, you can have them near ceiling, that's perfectly alright. About 2~5 ft above ear height is perfectly fine.

A 12 gauge or 14 guage speaker wire will do fine.

Without fail first thing you have to do is visit dolby website

There is an excellent guide for the setup

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

What is the intention with damping? Acoustics or not allowing the sound to go out of room?

Read here > Use velvat curtains 3 Advantages Of Velvet Home Theater Curtains

Use dampening Glue > Comparing Soundproofing Drywall And Damping Glue

there are generally 2 kinds of products, ones that absorb sound and ones that block it. the absorbing ones, like bass traps are more about acoustically deadening a space than stopping sound from leaving it. what you need is something that will block sound and in order for it to work, it has to be applied to/ cover large areas of floor, ceiling and/ or wall. the stuff that works best is, of course, not cheap. you'd be looking at either heavy, thick vinyl type sound insulation intended for being built into/ under walls, ceilings and floors or getting "soundproof" type drywall products which can either replace or go on top of existing walls.

Back