Help with HTPC - 3d(HDMI 1.4a), HD Audio passthrough, plus multichannel LPCM

gazal

Hi I'm looking to build an HTPC. My requirements:

1. 3d video capable (HDMI 1.4a)
2. Audio passthrough for DTS, DD, DTS-HD, DD-TrueHD etc.
3. Multichannel LPCM out through HDMI for multichannel AAC, FLAC etc.

Please suggest a CPU/motherboard/GPU combo to get this done. I couldn't decide on a budget coz I really am not sure how much I have to spend to satisfy the above mentioned requirements.

Hi I'm looking to build an HTPC. My requirements:

1. 3d video capable (HDMI 1.4a)
2. Audio passthrough for DTS, DD, DTS-HD, DD-TrueHD etc.
3. Multichannel LPCM out through HDMI for multichannel AAC, FLAC etc.

Please suggest a CPU/motherboard/GPU combo to get this done. I couldn't decide on a budget coz I really am not sure how much I have to spend to satisfy the above mentioned requirements.

There are various combinations and you need to search and decide based on your requirements. You need to look into this thread and another thread by baiju, you will get enough information on the components and also the software installations etc.,

Thanks

Thank you for that thread. But there's just too much information. And it is from a while back. There's so much new hardware out there. Newer GPU's. Intel's Sandy Bridge etc.

I would like to know if Sandy bridge is enough or whether getting a dedicated nVidia GPU actually improves video quality. I wouldn't mind spending upto 20k for the mobo+cpu+gpu.

If gaming is not a requirement then any dual core processor + mobo combo would do along with 2 GB RAM but most importantly the mobo must have PCI-e16 slot (full speed) and gigabit LAN and you will need to buy a 1.4a GPU like I used ATI Raedon HD 6670 (I admit, some said it is an overkill for no gaming situation) and sam and several others have used NVidia GT440, both 1GB DDR 5 and capable of outputing Audio and Video as per your specs. You can use any HDD (for Win 7) or oven a Pen Drive to boot XBMC directly. You might as well need a MCE Remote to control your OC via remote if required.

If gaming is not a requirement then any dual core processor + mobo combo would do along with 2 GB RAM but most importantly the mobo must have PCI-e16 slot (full speed) and gigabit LAN and you will need to buy a 1.4a GPU like I used ATI Raedon HD 6670 (I admit, some said it is an overkill for no gaming situation) and sam and several others have used NVidia GT440, both 1GB DDR 5 and capable of outputing Audio and Video as per your specs. You can use any HDD (for Win 7) or oven a Pen Drive to boot XBMC directly. You might as well need a MCE Remote to control your OC via remote if required.

So these GPUs, nvidia gt440 or radeon HD 6670. I read that they bitstream dts-hd & dolby true HD. But will they send multichannel LPCM when I try to play an mkv with multichannel FLAC/AAC. And do you by any chance know how it works? The bitstream thing is easier on the driver, all it has to do is send the actual audio data through HDMI. But for LPCM there's a decoding step. And does this decoding happen using the driver software?

Thank you for that thread. But there's just too much information. And it is from a while back. There's so much new hardware out there. Newer GPU's. Intel's Sandy Bridge etc.

I would like to know if Sandy bridge is enough or whether getting a dedicated nVidia GPU actually improves video quality. I wouldn't mind spending upto 20k for the mobo+cpu+gpu.

When a mere C2D 1.8 Ghz does the job of an HTPC exceptionally good, the question if sandy bridge is enough becomes moot. The Need for a dedicated GPU comes if you want HD audio bitstreaming and LPCM decoding as well plus the need to play 3D files...... specially frame sequential. As haisaikat mentioned correctly any dual core processor would do the job handsomely,. but if you are so enticed by these sandy bridges, you can opt for the any i3 variant like the 2100 which would be more than sufficient to do the job. Its not that hardware as much as the front end part that needs a bit of efforts. "Read" the recommendations, to what people have invested, almost every information is answered in some or the other post and in some or the other HTPC thread.

So these GPUs, nvidia gt440 or radeon HD 6670. I read that they bitstream dts-hd & dolby true HD. But will they send multichannel LPCM when I try to play an mkv with multichannel FLAC/AAC. And do you by any chance know how it works? The bitstream thing is easier on the driver, all it has to do is send the actual audio data through HDMI. But for LPCM there's a decoding step. And does this decoding happen using the driver software?

GT440 and HD6670 both do HD audio bitstreaming and can send multi LPCM, on the front end XBMC EDEN can do HD Audio and can also encode DolbyTHD to be played as LPCM.

All information is also discussed in the last 10 pages or so in the thread manniraj suggested

Last edited:
I have just completed my second htpc. For media playback you don't need powerful cpu. It is mainly the GPU that is doing the video playback. The components used in my new htpc are

CPU - AMD A6 3500 APU (tri core 2.1GHz) - Rs.4000/-. For 3.5K A4-3400 (dual core 2.7GHz) is available.
MoBo - Asus F1A75-M Rs. 6850/- There are lower models of this motherboard starting from 4K, but I chose this as it has 2 PCI-ex16 ports, USB 3.0 and lots of SATA ports, HDMI, optical out etc. For 3D playback you will need to add a GPU, so you can buy low version mobos without hdmi and save on budget. For AMD A series APU, there are two chipsets -A75 and A55. A55 is cheaper starting from 3.5K onwards, but these don't have USB 3.0 etc.
Memory - Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Rs-1250/-. The mobo supports DDR3 1600MHz so go with 1600MHz memories. Price will be around Rs.1500/-
PSU - Corsair VSX450 builder series - Rs. 2700/- Always use a good quality SMPS.

Total for cpu+mobo+memory+smps - Rs.13800/-.

I haven't added a GPU yet. But you can get the GT520 for Rs.2400-2700/- or GT440 for around Rs.4K. All these supports 3D, HD audio also. So in 16-18K you can get a very good system that can be used for gaming also. By carefully selecting the components you can save 3-4K, like by selecting a lower version motherboard.

I ordered all these components from theitwares.com. You can save a few bucks by ordering the components from different vendors or from ebay using discount coupons.

For playback use xbmc. It will send aac as multichannel pcm. For hd audio you can install xbmc with hd audio patch or one of the new beta versions of xbmc frodo.

Also add a mce remote control. Wait a few days I will put my hp mce remote+receiver+ir emitter for sale as I have another remote control.

Last edited:
Dont you people use any Android/iOS phone. I found the Android remote for XBMC far more convenient and versatile than any ir based media remote ....... But thats just me I guess

You can have a look at my dream HTPC (I am planning to get this by coming 2-3 months)

Intel Core i7-2700K Processor (All the speed I ever wanted)
Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard (everything I need/all in one mobo and this one has IVY Bridge processor support as well - one more thing, this mobo can absorb some heat. So I don't need Coolermaster V10 for cooling off RAMs)
Asus nVIDIA SLI GeForce GTX 570 DirectCu II Graphics Card (1.28GB) (24 bit multichannel LPCM/lossless audio -TruHD output over video HDMI 1.4a output)
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB RAM x 2 (if I want to upgrade my pc to 32gigs, I need to have one of these)
LG BH10LS38.AUAU 10x Internal BD-RW (I don't want external blu ray player)
Crucial CT128M4SSD2 128GB M4 SSD (cheap and best)
Coolermaster V8 Cooler RR-UV8-XBU1-GP Fan (needed for overclocking cpus - better over other competetors)
WD Caviar Green 1 TB HDD
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Mid Tower Cabinet

Regarding my preference, I always liked Intel over AMD and NVidia over ATI Radeon (personal choice).

Regarding graphics card, i did some research online and found that there is 24 bit lossless multichannel audio support (without affecting the graphics) in NVidia GTX 570 series onwards.

----------------------------------------------------------
EDIT - Just wanted to add price for the above configuration
Intel Core i7-2700K Processor - 20000 (approx)
Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard 19500 (approx)
Asus nVIDIA SLI GeForce GTX 570 DirectCu II Graphics Card (1.28GB) - 24000 (approx)
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB RAM x 2 - 3500 - 4000 (each approx)
LG BH10LS38.AUAU 10x Internal BD-RW - 5800 (approx)
Crucial CT128M4SSD2 128GB M4 SSD - 7500 (approx)
Coolermaster V8 Cooler RR-UV8-XBU1-GP Fan - 5200 (approx)
WD Caviar Green 1 TB HDD - 5400 (approx)
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Mid Tower Cabinet - 5900 (approx)

Friends, please correct me if I am wrong.

-Saikat

Last edited:
andriod tab for 3.3K on ebay is a better remote for those apps that have android remote control software

Thanks sam9s and baijuxavior.

And baijuxavior, any particular reason for you to buy a new remote? :)
Oh and any idea whether there's any support available for HDMI CEC through the HDMI of these GPUs?

You can have a look at my dream HTPC (I am planning to get this by coming 2-3 months)

Intel Core i7-2700K Processor (All the speed I ever wanted)
Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard (everything I need/all in one mobo and this one has IVY Bridge processor support as well - one more thing, this mobo can absorb some heat. So I don't need Coolermaster V10 for cooling off RAMs)
Asus nVIDIA SLI GeForce GTX 570 DirectCu II Graphics Card (1.28GB) (24 bit multichannel LPCM/lossless audio -TruHD output over video HDMI 1.4a output)
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB RAM x 2 (if I want to upgrade my pc to 32gigs, I need to have one of these)
LG BH10LS38.AUAU 10x Internal BD-RW (I don't want external blu ray player)
Crucial CT128M4SSD2 128GB M4 SSD (cheap and best)
Coolermaster V8 Cooler RR-UV8-XBU1-GP Fan (needed for overclocking cpus - better over other competetors)
WD Caviar Green 1 TB HDD
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Mid Tower Cabinet

Regarding my preference, I always liked Intel over AMD and NVidia over ATI Radeon (personal choice).

Regarding graphics card, i did some research online and found that there is 24 bit lossless multichannel audio support (without affecting the graphics) in NVidia GTX 570 series onwards.

EDIT - Just wanted to add price for the above configuration
Intel Core i7-2700K Processor - 20000 (approx)
Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard 19500 (approx)
Asus nVIDIA SLI GeForce GTX 570 DirectCu II Graphics Card (1.28GB) - 24000 (approx)
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB RAM x 2 - 3500 - 4000 (each approx)
LG BH10LS38.AUAU 10x Internal BD-RW - 5800 (approx)
Crucial CT128M4SSD2 128GB M4 SSD - 7500 (approx)
Coolermaster V8 Cooler RR-UV8-XBU1-GP Fan - 5200 (approx)
WD Caviar Green 1 TB HDD - 5400 (approx)
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Mid Tower Cabinet - 5900 (approx)

Friends, please correct me if I am wrong.

-Saikat

This in all reference is a Gaming PC, that can be used as an HTPC ......
My Gaming PC has more or less the same config.

Cannt believe HDD price, I bought 2TB WD Green for 3800 for my NAS ......

Last edited:
Saikat, hi
I am very new to this forum and also a kid, as far as my knowledge about Htpc's goes. Can you recommend some off the shelf HTPC that can go with my NAS
I intend to buy AV receiver HDMI 1.4switching and 7.1speaker to complete my system.
Pl advice

And baijuxavior, any particular reason for you to buy a new remote? :)
Oh and any idea whether there's any support available for HDMI CEC through the HDMI of these GPUs?

which is the new remote control u got? i feel hp media remote is the best one out in market now. any other suggesions?

My antec HTPC cabinet has a bundled 'iMon Pad' remote control using which I can turn on the pc. But this remote is really crap like buttons not behaving correctly, double keypress etc. So I'm currently using my hp mce remote through the built-in IR receiver of the cabinet. But with the hp mce remote, power on from shutdown state is not possible. I have ordered for a new learning mce remote using which I think I can copy the power button code. This is a 4 in 1 backlit mce remote (search in ebay.com) which can control 4 devices. Very useful as I can map my AVR, TV, PC and DTH box. Price is around 2k for this remote including IR receiver. I had a logitech urc which I sold, otherwise I could use that. The HP MCE remote control is one of the best mce remote. With the IR blaster, you can setup an IR repeater for other remote controls.

Sam, I don't have an android phone yet. I would definitely try android remote for xbmc once I buy a new phone, but for family an IR remote is needed.

This in all reference is a Gaming PC, that can be used as an HTPC ......
My Gaming PC has more or less the same config.

Can believe HDD price, I bought 2TB WD Green for 3800 for my NAS ......

Hi Sam,

Where u bought the HDD for that price, in delta its about 6.35k. Any web link for that will be very helpful !!!

HDD prices are still on the higher side. A 1TB will cost you approximately 6K. Also newer hdds have only 2 year warranty. I bought 1TB WD Green last year for 2.8K only and it has 5 years warranty.

Here's what I built recently

Asus P8H77-I mini ITX board - 110$
Intel core i3 2100 - 90$
8GB corsair vengeance LP - around 3.7k
Sapphire 6570 1GB LP - around 4.2k
Antec ISK 310 - around 4.9k
Crucial m4 128GB SSD for OS - 115$
Reused an old 500GB seagate laptop hard drive for some local storage. Most storage is over a network on an old box.

I now have 2 HDMI outs in this htpc - I send the intel gpu hdmi output to the receiver and the ATI 6570 output to the TV. Also I use quicksync for decoding using LAV filters and madvr for output on the 6570. This works beautifully and I have reference quality video from a computer the size of a shoe box.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back