Help with my first av receiver and home theater

Saroj

Hi

I have been reading few posts but I am still confused with my first purchase. Please bear the long post. I currently own Logitech 623 and am quite excited to buy my first proper ht.. 80%music and 20%movies

I first contemplated buying sony home theater then read about avrs.. So decieded to buy either onkyo 3800 or Yamaha 2910. Budget was 40k. After reading various posts went for a sound test of Yamaha and wasn't quite impressed..

The showroom owner was quite helpful.. After listening to 2910 I decided to slowly build my system.

He suggested I should extend my budget and buy one of the below

Avr - Yamaha RX-V 583 - 54,990 or

Yamaha RX-V 483 - 46,990

Speakers -

Yamaha NS-F71 towers - 1pair - 27,990 price

The speakers sounded good (will visit again with my files etc) as the owner promised good discounts.

Now my question. Is it a good decision? Are the avr and speakers a good choice or should I consider something else? My budget is already stretched with these

My hall room size is 30*11 feet out of which living is 18*11
In the future if I want 5.1 setup will these speakers go well with sattelites and sub woofers?

Also which speakers are better bookshelf or floor speakers? Some suggestions will help.

I am currently doing my interiors so would also help if there are suggestions about speaker wires.

Thanks
Saroj

Hi

I have been reading few posts but I am still confused with my first purchase. Please bear the long post.

80%music and 20%movies

Budget was 40k.

You can consider an entry level AVR + 2 speakers to begin with & slowly build your system (or) finish a 5.0 system.. Choice is yours..

The showroom owner was quite helpful.. After listening to 2910 I decided to slowly build my system.

He suggested I should extend my budget and buy one of the below

Avr - Yamaha RX-V 583 - 54,990 or

Yamaha RX-V 483 - 46,990

Showroom always have the tendency to up-sell products to novice :eek:hyeah:

When you have a max budget of 40K and the suggestion for yamaha 583 was unnecessary in my opinion :)

Anyways within your budget, you can consider Pioneer AVR - https://www.hifimart.com/pioneer-vsx-330-av-receiver.html?search=Pioneer&description=true

and a 5.0 speaker budget - https://www.hifimart.com/taga-harmony-tav-406-v-2-set.html?search=Taga&description=true

May be slightly more than your budget by 5K, but you complete AVR + 5.0 system.. Add a sub later.. (Better option than spending on Yamaha 583 & having juz 2 speakers where you will end up 60 - 70K) :eek:hyeah:

Speakers -

Plenty of options.. Just gaze thru various threads in the forum on what should i buy section & you will get options..

for floor stand speakers above 50k range speakers are good like Polk RTI A5,Zensor 5,KEF Q500.If budget not permits bookshelfs are enough like Zensor 3,Q300.

Hi

Luckily I am getting my avr from US now.
Shortlisted denon 920w/ sony strdn1080

Any other avr suggestions? Post that I would have 20k for initial set of speakers

Hi sarin.....

The Sony str-dn 1080 is superior to everything else in its price category. Check out the latest comparison between that Sony, denon and Yamaha on www.whathifi.com

Apart from reviews, I have an older model Sony str-dn 850 at home. And it still sounds very good for music.

As regarding speakers, I would advise that you hold onto your speaker purchase for a little longer, till you can atleast stretch to 50k. At that budget you will have lot of good options. Or you can check out the ' for sale by owner ' threads. I saw a kef q300 for sale there .

I would always advise to save, and then buy once, but buy good..

All the best

The Sony str-dn 1080 is superior to everything else in its price category. Check out the latest comparison between that Sony, denon and Yamaha on www.whathifi.com

Quite surprising to see What Hi-fi picking Sony str-dn 1080 as winner in-spite of Denon x2400 having Audyssey Multi EQ XT :)

Also they speak of only calibration levels and have disregarded the ability to customize :) (Multi EQ App)

Yeah you are right elangoas....

My old Sony's DCACC as they call Sony's calibration system was more miss than hit in my acoustically challenged room. It got my speaker distances right , but the size wrong. And it always got my sub's distance way too wrong. And funnily, it even got the levels wrong. Still beats me why I got the levels wrong, when it got the distances right. But then as I mentioned, my room is very very reflective. So I entered the distances and levels manually, and then set it up. Once done it sounded good to me. But always felt I missed something.

Now having used audessey multi EQ xt32 in the marantz. I can say that this room calibration system is in a another level all together. But then IAM comparing Sony's 2012 DCACC to audessey's 2016 multi EQ.

So one possibility could be that Sony has improved on its system, as do all manufacturers year on year. Or could be that once manually setup, the Sony sounded good.

But anyways whathifi is not completely an unbiased reviewer as per the popular opinion. And after voting for the denon for the last 2 years , and a Yamaha before that. They again come back to the Sony for 2017. Keep all the companies happy :)

Saroj...
As far as speakers are concerned TAGA5.0 is a good set, and value for money. I am using them now. With what ever little experience I have, a good music source and good quality files do make the speakers perform well.

Saroj...

I am also using Taga 606 5.0 system & i am very much happy with it. Instead of MCACC, calibrate it manually & you won't be disappointed.

Yeah you are right elangoas....

My old Sony's DCACC as they call Sony's calibration system was more miss than hit in my acoustically challenged room. It got my speaker distances right , but the size wrong. And it always got my sub's distance way too wrong. And funnily, it even got the levels wrong. Still beats me why I got the levels wrong, when it got the distances right. But then as I mentioned, my room is very very reflective. So I entered the distances and levels manually, and then set it up. Once done it sounded good to me. But always felt I missed something.

But then IAM comparing Sony's 2012 DCACC to audessey's 2016 multi EQ.

So one possibility could be that Sony has improved on its system, as do all manufacturers year on year. Or could be that once manually setup, the Sony sounded good.

Got the below information from an other site - Sony Electronics Announces Pricing and Availability for Home Audio Devices Designed for Immersive

The STR-DN1080 includes Sony's latest sound field compensation technology, D.C.A.C. EX, which combines Advanced D.C.A.C. with Speaker Relocation. This technology balances output to closely simulate sound as would be produced by optimally positioned and angled speakers resulting with the entire sound field seamlessly integrated for outstanding surround sound.

I don't know much abt DCAC EX capabilities.. But, from the above link don't think Sony's DCAC EX is anywhere close to Audyssey Multi EQ XT..

Now having used audessey multi EQ xt32 in the marantz. I can say that this room calibration system is in a another level all together.

Same here..

But anyways whathifi is not completely an unbiased reviewer as per the popular opinion. And after voting for the denon for the last 2 years , and a Yamaha before that. They again come back to the Sony for 2017. Keep all the companies happy :)

That sums it up..

Last edited:
Hi
Wiring is done.. My Av Receiver is delayed.. Meanwhile I got hold of dealer willing to sell Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.1 at 55k.
Not getting much options or time to go and audition so thought this is the safest bet based on all positive online reviews

Let me know as I have to book the speakers by paying advance

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back