Help with planning for Projector and Screen

atharva

Hi Folks,

I'd like to explore a projector and screen option for a new place. Presently using a 65" Sony A9G. Would like your expert guidance on how to proceed. A few details..

- Viewing space is about 16'Wx15'Lx9.5'H (it is not a separate room). 4 viewers max.

- Will use the 16' wall for the screen but there is a passage on one side meaning the wall is only 12'.

- I have a 2-channel setup which doubles up for HT duties. With about 2' for the floorstanders along the 12' wall leaves about 6-8' max for the screen.

- I'd like to do HT wiring just in case. Anything special or just depends on 5.1/7.1/9.1? Will I need to plan supports for the rear
speakers since there will false ceiling?

- Since the speakers will be about 3-4' from the front wall should the screen be on the wall or be about a foot or so behind the speakers. i.e 2' from the wall.

- I'm not sure if I'll prefer the TV for normal viewing and the projector only for movies. But that complicates how to have the TV and screen. I've seen power based screen roll-up/down. Any suggestions on how to plan this?

- I've seen a cool YouTube video of a screen that actually raises up instead of falling down. That would be great as I can just place it along the wall. Is this available here?

- Would prefer short throw projectors unless there are drawbacks.

- Would like one of those special projector screens. Suggestions?

- Budget approx 3L for projector+screen. Is this decent? Suggest something that's VFM and excellent. Also suggest good dealers.

- Any tips/suggestions on the wiring?

How would you suggest I proceed? Don't mind to hire a company if somone has first hand experience in Pune.

Thanks for reading. Be safe and healthy!

As always, I will suggest to get an Epson 9400 as the projector. Projector should be ₹1.90k max.

You have ALR screens, which can help in combating daylight. But a projector can be enjoyed to its fullest in a darker environment. Of course not easy in a living room with light colored walls.

All the best.

Thanks for the suggestion.

A single reply :). Was it information overload? I thought it would be relevant to provide suggestions.

BTW, I just saw that there is a separate forum for Home Theatre Projectors & Screens. Request mods to move it there if that makes more sense. But my questions are also about planning the space for HT so any suggestions are welcome.

Well, you are left with only a lakh after getting the projector.

A decent 7.x avr will take almost a lakh. Unless you plan to use the existing stereo setup.

I will suggest getting a Yamaha v6a, a 7.x avr. Get a good pair of bookshelves for starters.

Get the remaining speakers as budget permits. But do the necessary wiring for the 7.x setup.

Since it is not a dedicated room, I won't suggest splurging on speakers and avr. I don't think you can fully benefit from the extra money spent. My suggestion, though.

Please wait for our informed fms to respond.

EDIT:

There are laser UST projector models from Epson. Consider that as well. Easy to maintain since it is a laser. But please do not expect 9400's image quality.

Last edited:
Yes, 2-channel setup will double up for HT duties. So 3L budget is just for projector and screen. I'm seeing the Mijia 150 for 1.49 and Mijia 4K for 2+. I suppose with 6-7' width left for the screen I think I can get a little less than 100inch (diagonal) so a 4K will be good. Are the more expensive options like VAVA @3L much better?

Also keen to know hear from others about the other questions like screen position, using TV and projector interchangeably, wiring tips etc.

You can mount the screen on the wall. It need not be closer to the speakers.
With about 2' for the floorstanders along the 12' wall leaves about 6-8' max for the screen.
Are you talking about the width here? Speakers are generally mounted under the screen, so width should not be an issue. Basically mount the screen such that it's lower edge is above the speaker height.
using TV and projector interchangeably
You can do this by using a low profile mount for the tv on the wall and then hanging the screen in front of it using some L brackets. These are available in local hardware store. Alternatives would be aluminum tubes used for windows, etc. You can get smaller pieces from the window makers. Another option would be using solid wood (if you have some lying around the house, not plywood though) and make L shaped mounts for your screen. Mount the brackets on the wall and then the screen from the brackets. Obviously you'll be needing a powered screen to do this.
Any tips/suggestions on the wiring
If you are taking the concealed route or want to pass the wires via drop ceiling, please make sure to get in-wall certified cables. You'll also need to plan for an HDMI cable for connecting the projector. Would suggest using a conduit via the drop ceiling installation for this. It will help you change the cable in future if needed with minimal damage to the ceiling (if at all). Also plan for Atmos height speaker wiring (in ceiling installation) if you have plans for future upgrade.

I've seen a cool YouTube video of a screen that actually raises up instead of falling down. That would be great as I can just place it along the wall. Is this available here
Take the DIY route. Get a motorized tv lift, make a fixed frame screen and mount it on the lift. Put the entire setup within a flat and wide box. Downside will be the box height even with the screen closed.

Since the room is not very big and not a dedicated HT room, 5.1 or 5.2 is the best solution. 7 or 9 speakers will leave the room in a mess.

Yes, 2-channel setup will double up for HT duties. So 3L budget is just for projector and screen. I'm seeing the Mijia 150 for 1.49 and Mijia 4K for 2+. I suppose with 6-7' width left for the screen I think I can get a little less than 100inch (diagonal) so a 4K will be good. Are the more expensive options like VAVA @3L much better?

Also keen to know hear from others about the other questions like screen position, using TV and projector interchangeably, wiring tips etc.
Heard Mijia 1S 4k is good. But availability is doubtful.

If you're going for a laser UST, it can double as your tv. No issues of a regular bulb maintenance in a lamp based projector.

Mu suggestion is to go for wall mounted on-wall speakers / LCR ( left, centre, right) combined with two mini subwoofers plus acoustic transparent motorised screen will do wonders ..No obstruction for watching TV or PJ.... It will be aesthetically perfect for a living room ... 3L is Very good budget for PJ & Screen... Plenty of speakers out there for wall mounting ( not sony or samsung or Onkyo )... Just check Klipsch or Triad wall mounting speakers.

Not the above model, some models with very good drivers.."""" Just illustration i am giving above...

1508761248_1368258.jpeg

Last edited:
@srinisundar, will use my 2-channel stereo for now but I'll check to see if these can be mounted later. They are a bit big though 16"Hx6"W. Also, I'll prefer to use my speakers for LR and add center, rear and sub.

WIth a large screen where do you have your center channel (if not mouting it behind an acoustically transparent screen)?

@Dwaipayan, thanks for your inputs.. Prefer professional help rather than DIY right now.

At what height do you normally have the bottom edge of the screen for a 100" diagonal? I've got Open Baffles right now that are 60"Hx22"W so they will obstruct a screen and I suspect even my Maargas will come in the way as they're about 41" tall. So I'll need to stick to a 6-6.5' wide screen. 6' will get me 84" diagonal?

Motorized screens seem to mounted on the front wall and could use something like this L Shaped bracket to have the screen a little further away from the wall. But all that hanging stuff doesn't look clean.

Any good ceiling mounted screens in India? Could be managed in false ceiling and will look the cleanest and allow me to have the screen as far from the wall as I want it. But could be complicated to fit/service in case of issues. Also not sure how much space it takes up in the ceiling. Anyone I can talk to about this?

Here is a first cut proposal by the designer. With the TV on the front wall my viewing distance is about 14' which I find a bit far for 65". Might be ok for the projector as it'll be about 85" (diagonal). Fine if I ditch the TV altogether but a pain if I want to keep it. Then the TV has to go back and the projector screen has to roll down in front of it.

Screenshot 2021-07-04 at 10.03.31 PM.png

Is this kind of screen available here?
Will be most flexible as no messing with the wall/ceiling.

It seems that the electric lift projection screen vivostorm is also sold in India. I have seen a technology exhibition before, and I have seen the booth of the XGIMI projector and the vivostorm together. It looks good, and the electric lift is very convenient and space-saving.
How much it cost ?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back