Help with Power amp to match Bose RMU 208 pair to Home Audio.

AbhijeetJ

Hi All

This is my first thread in this forum, look forward to the expert advice here.

Current set up :
Denon AVR1910 , 5.1 channel , 90 watt per channel @ 8ohms.
Bose RMU 208 (300 Watt@8ohms)/fronts , newly acquired to replace Dali Zensor 3 bookshelf fronts.
Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 1000 center (center and rears)
Definitive Technology Super Cube 2000 powered Sub.

Contemplating acquiring a Sony MU A400 pro Power Amp rated 260W per channel@8 ohms (over 15 years old) to pair with the fronts. I live in an apartment so definitely do not need the full 300 watt power range from these speakers.

Currently in a dilemma for purchasing the right stereo amplifier to drive the fronts. The denon is clearly under powered for the Bose RMU 208 fronts. Have seen a few new stereo amps but most were out of budget.

Would appreciate the advise from the experts here.

Music preference : EDM, Jazz, Symphonies and of course Netflix.

Thank you !

The Bose RMU is a pro speaker and very different in sound to your center speaker. Isnt using all 3 as the same a better option ?

As per specs these are 94 dB so even a 20W amp should be enough for most rooms unless you are using it in large halls which may not be the case.. . did you test it out with any amp before concluding 90W is not enough ? being from a pro line they may need more current than usual.

Wow where did you get those from? Do share pics of the speakers. Although they seem quite efficient, they would need sufficient power to drive. Does your denon have preout for connecting power amps. A 15 year old amp is a Pandora's box in my opinion. Try to borrow a crown amp to try.

You mentioned you are in a flat, how would these fare in a closed space as these i believe are PA / outdoor speakers?

MaSh

The Bose RMU is a pro speaker and very different in sound to your center speaker. Isnt using all 3 as the same a better option ?

As per specs these are 94 dB so even a 20W amp should be enough for most rooms unless you are using it in large halls which may not be the case.. . did you test it out with any amp before concluding 90W is not enough ? being from a pro line they may need more current than usual.

Well I did test them with the Denon 1910 and it did seem under powered , had to really crank it up to +10 to +12 Db volume to really get them going though accompanied by some back ground noise (hissing) while on 2 channel stereo. Im guessing in the higher volume range this amp starts struggling resulting in distortion. I dont intend to use it at high volumes for long durations but definitely want the option for shorted periods.

Wow where did you get those from? Do share pics of the speakers. Although they seem quite efficient, they would need sufficient power to drive. Does your denon have preout for connecting power amps. A 15 year old amp is a Pandora's box in my opinion. Try to borrow a crown amp to try.

You mentioned you are in a flat, how would these fare in a closed space as these i believe are PA / outdoor speakers?

MaSh
Lets just say I got lucky with these.
Yes the denon has preouts for the PA. I did look at crown and a yamaha PX3 , not sure though if its the right choice. Willing to invest in a better more suitable PA option if recommended.

Yes everything vibrates in my living room, but I haven't really been able to test them (amp gone for repairs). The sound is crisp and LOUD and it works, just need the right amp and a 15 year old amp like you mentioned, is just not convincing.

Attachments

• IMG-20230115-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20230115-WA0013.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 22

What do you mean using all 3 as the same ?

What do you mean using all 3 as the same ?
L, R and center. the center being the most important, if you have power requirements and tonality being different, the sound will be inconsistent. surrounds can of course be different ,

L, R and center. the center being the most important, if you have power requirements and tonality being different, the sound will be inconsistent. surrounds can of course be different ,
center will only be used for movies. else i usually only listen to stereo sound for any kind of music, sub turned on. does it still matter then?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back