Help with selecting the right Power Amplifier

Love4sound

Dear FM's

I require your expertise with selecting the right power amp. My requirement is 5 channel with minimum continuous power of 80 watts when all channels driven and most importantly THD should be 0.05% or less. I don't know a lot about power amplifier's, available brands and what specs to look out for. Through google research i came across 2 models that met my requirements one is the emotiva bass x 500 which has a 5 channel rating of 80 watts and economical as well. But draw back for me is its THD rating is 0.1% and i want minimum 0.05% and also no damping factor.Next comes the rotel RMB 1555 which ticks all my expectation with 120 watts all channel driven THD of 0.03% and damping factor 180. But the Rotel price is 1700 USD well above my budget. So kindly advice. I am in no hurry to buy a power amp may take 6-8 months in getting one but i started this thread so i can collect enough information and invest wisely when i have the funds ready

Last edited:
Don't be too concerned abt specs.. Just good as a pointer.. What is your maximum budget for a 5 channel power amp?.. You recently upgraded to 4500.. Hope you are looking for 5.1.4 as a final set-up?..
Yeah i want to complete a 5.2.4 set up. Budget i was thinking 50k-1L.

Yeah i want to complete a 5.2.4 set up. Budget i was thinking 50k-1L.

You have good budget.. Emotiva 5175 is a good option, but not sure if it is aval in India.. Emotiva Bas X series is also good choice and within your budget..

I recently picked the Sonodyne DE 4370 an 8 channel power amp for 54K.. You can consider that too if you want to spend less, as it would pretty much meet your expectation.. Even better if you can add 2 x DE 4370.. 1 DE 4370 powering L,C,R,SL and SR and 1 DE for 4 heights and use your AVR as processor :)..

You have good budget.. Emotiva 5175 is a good option, but not sure if it is aval in India.. Emotiva Bas X series is also good choice and within your budget..

I recently picked the Sonodyne DE 4370 an 8 channel power amp for 54K.. You can consider that too if you want to spend less, as it would pretty much meet your expectation.. Even better if you can add 2 x DE 4370.. 1 DE 4370 powering L,C,R,SL and SR and 1 DE for 4 heights and use your AVR as processor :)..
Oh congrats just saw the thread will keep an eye on it for detailed review on the Amp. so THD 0.1% will not have a huge difference from 0.05%? Cause the 2400 had 0.08% rating and now with the denon 4500 rated at 0.05% i can feel the difference clearly with the speaker performance

Oh congrats just saw the thread will keep an eye on it for detailed review on the Amp.

THanks.. Will share expereince..

so THD 0.1% will not have a huge difference from 0.05%? Cause the 2400 had 0.08% rating and now with the denon 4500 rated at 0.05% i can feel the difference clearly with the speaker performance

Don't worry abt THD % of 0.05 or 0.08.. Adding power amp will help AVR offload the power to other channels..

Dear FM's

I require your expertise with selecting the right power amp. My requirement is 5 channel with minimum continuous power of 80 watts when all channels driven and most importantly THD should be 0.05% or less. I don't know a lot about power amplifier's, available brands and what specs to look out for. Through google research i came across 2 models that met my requirements one is the emotiva bass x 500 which has a 5 channel rating of 80 watts and economical as well. But draw back for me is its THD rating is 0.1% and i want minimum 0.05% and also no damping factor.Next comes the rotel RMB 1555 which ticks all my expectation with 120 watts all channel driven THD of 0.03% and damping factor 180. But the Rotel price is 1700 USD well above my budget. So kindly advice. I am in no hurry to buy a power amp may take 6-8 months in getting one but i started this thread so i can collect enough information and invest wisely when i have the funds ready

Normally Multichannel power amps are costly ones ..
Emotiva are known for providing VFM products globally. U can check their amps.

Adcom power amps - one of great sounding amps. ( I'm using GFA 535 two channel power amp ,it's very good one for music.Unfortunately Im using it for powering my VOG channels).New ones are costly.

AMC power amp - Made by Weltronics Group (same NAD guys design). The amp.sounds neutral and clean. I have used this,it's a good one for the price.Recently sold it offline to one of our FM who resides near to my home.

ATI - Currently using it to power my base 5 channels .This is one of the beast in power amps. ATI makes amps for brands like Parasound ,Lexicon ,Outlaw and recently for Monolith etc.However they have their own range of models. It's very costly here. If you have budget I strongly recommend it.

There are also other good brands like Rotel,B&K ( both not heard personally) , Anthem ( it's neutral clean and refined,but as usual very costly,good one).
Earlier days Denon makes solid power amps , don't know still they make ones.

U can look in the used section if budget constraints . Otherwise source it from abroad .( Shipping is a headache here due to weight ).
Slowly you can add it after searching.
Best of luck.

Last edited:
Normally Multichannel power amps are costly ones ..
Emotiva are known for providing VFM products globally. U can check their amps.

Adcom power amps - one of great sounding amps. ( I'm using GFA 535 two channel power amp ,it's very good one for music.Unfortunately Im using it for powering my VOG channels).New ones are costly.

AMC power amp - Made by Weltronics Group (same NAD guys design). The amp.sounds neutral and clean. I have used this,it's a good one for the price.Recently sold it offline to one of our FM who resides near to my home.

ATI - Currently using it to power my base 5 channels .This is one of the beast in power amps. ATI makes amps for brands like Parasound ,Lexicon ,Outlaw and recently for Monolith etc.However they have their own range of models. It's very costly here. If you have budget I strongly recommend it.

There are also other good brands like Rotel,B&K ( both not heard personally) , Anthem ( it's neutral clean and refined,but as usual very costly,good one).
Earlier days Denon makes solid power amps , don't know still they make ones.

U can look in the used section if budget constraints . Otherwise source it from abroad .( Shipping is a headache here due to weight ).
Slowly you can add it after searching.
Best of luck.
Thanks Ranjith will check the models u listed.

Thanks Ranjith will check the models u listed.
Forgot to mention about Krell Theater 5 & 7 amplifier.Its very solid and good one. But as usual very very costly here.
I've just mentioned various option. For ur room size,budget and Hearing preference u may need to decide accordingly.

Forgot to mention about Krell Theater 5 & 7 amplifier.Its very solid and good one. But as usual very very costly here.
I've just mentioned various option. For ur room size,budget and Hearing preference u may need to decide accordingly.
Sure I’ll see if I can allocate a big budget else I’ll look at the Sonodyne amp elango got or the emotive bass x 500.

See if you can get an older model of Anthem.
Wyred4Sound would be my other recommendation based on personal experience.

Dear FM's

What system do you have ?

Why not get two stereo power amps and use them just for the front 3 speakers. That should take the major load off the Denon, and let it power the rest of the speakers. 1 lac budget should get you there easily. Or something like this should really kick butt. https://www.hifimart.com/electronic...marantz-mm7055-5-channel-power-amplifier.html
Sure tuff will check this out. I am sure it will take time for me to get an power amplifier. In the mean time i just want to check with all the FM’S and get their inputs on power amps. For now Denon 4500 is doing an excellent job so no hurries.

You can have pre owned Marantz AVR like SR6xxx series with 7.1 analog inputs. This Marantz can be used as power amplifier to amplify surround back , Atmos and VOG channels. Denon will amplify only basic five channels. This will ensure sufficient power and headroom for each channel. You may save good amount of money with little compromise in sound quality.

You can have pre owned Marantz AVR like SR6xxx series with 7.1 analog inputs. This Marantz can be used as power amplifier to amplify surround back , Atmos and VOG channels. Denon will amplify only basic five channels. This will ensure sufficient power and headroom for each channel. You may save good amount of money with little compromise in sound quality.
Oh so an avr can be paired with another avr just for amplification? Well an used sr 6xxx series will definitely cost 60-70k for that I can just go for the emotive bass x 500

Pre owned Marantz SR6005/7/8 may be available within 30-35 k. Either you need to find it on olx or wait till it comes on classified section of this forum. This may be the cheapest option to increase the power. You can try other brands of AVR also which have multi channels analog input.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back