Help with selecting the right voltage stabilizer

Love4sound

I do not have a lot of voltage fluctuations so i am thinking V-Guard Digi 200 Smart should do the job. I started my HT set up with a yht299 so i got a V guard crystal plus which is rated at 3A which was enough. After upgrading my AVR, Speakers and sub i totally forgot about the 3A rating and had my AVR,Blu ray player, Shield,43inch Tv and xtz sub all connected in a belkin surge protector which is connected to the V guard crystal plus. power consuption of sub is rated at 900 watts and the denon avr is 500 watts. Remaining all should come to 200-300 watts. Is a 3A rated stabilizer enough for this load? I am thinking to connect the sub and avr to the V-Guard Digi 200 which is rated at 6A and the remaining all to V guard crystal plus which is 3A. I checked the vertex servo stabilizer and its to bulky to be placed in my bed room. Kindly suggest

I do not have a lot of voltage fluctuations so i am thinking V-Guard Digi 200 Smart should do the job. I started my HT set up with a yht299 so i got a V guard crystal plus which is rated at 3A which was enough. After upgrading my AVR, Speakers and sub i totally forgot about the 3A rating and had my AVR,Blu ray player, Shield,43inch Tv and xtz sub all connected in a belkin surge protector which is connected to the V guard crystal plus. power consuption of sub is rated at 900 watts and the denon avr is 500 watts. Remaining all should come to 200-300 watts. Is a 3A rated stabilizer enough for this load? I am thinking to connect the sub and avr to the V-Guard Digi 200 which is rated at 6A and the remaining all to V guard crystal plus which is 3A. I checked the vertex servo stabilizer and its to bulky to be placed in my bed room. Kindly suggest
The total max consumption is about 1800W (or about 2000 VA).
But systems are rarely run at max ratings.
Assuming 50% consumption your stabilizer combo should be at 1000 VA at least.
That is roughly 5A @ 220V
Provisioning for more is good; which is in the plan.
Splitting is advisable if they are all on the same MCB.
Sometimes, having different components on different circuits or different outlets on same circuit causes GND level discrepancies.
This may sometimes lead to hum. If splitting, use components that are going to be used together on the same circuit.
Cheers,
Raghu

The total max consumption is about 1800W (or about 2000 VA).
But systems are rarely run at max ratings.
Assuming 50% consumption your stabilizer combo should be at 1000 VA at least.
That is roughly 5A @ 220V
Provisioning for more is good; which is in the plan.
Splitting is advisable if they are all on the same MCB.
Sometimes, having different components on different circuits or different outlets on same circuit causes GND level discrepancies.
This may sometimes lead to hum. If splitting, use components that are going to be used together on the same circuit.
Cheers,
Raghu
Ok how abt I connect the avr, Tv, blu Ray player and shield to 6A and the sub alone to 3A? Or should I get two 6A stabilizer ?

I disconnected all and connected my AVR directly to the 3A stabilizer and the remaining separately to a Belkin surge protector. So the only load the stabilizer is handling now is the AVR and my god the different in sound stage was heaven and earth.

You can also consider V-Guard's main line stabilizers. VGMW 200+ has the same rating as DIGI-200. The main line stabilizers have larger transformers and metal cabinets for better heat management. This is what I am using for my stereo system.

Also, it's better to pick a model that has higher VA rating than your requirement. Though the stabilizer of a specified VA rating can sustain a load at the same or lower rating, if there is a sudden rise in power, like during lows in audio, well within the VA rating of the stabilizer, then in this case it can usually take some time for the transformer in the stabilizer to heed to the demand. By the time, the peak would have decayed. Having a higher capacity transformer helps in this case, as a large transformer also acts as a local energy reservoir. It can definitely improve how the lows sound.

You can also consider V-Guard's main line stabilizers. VGMW 200+ has the same rating as DIGI-200. The main line stabilizers have larger transformers and metal cabinets for better heat management. This is what I am using for my stereo system.

Also, it's better to pick a model that has higher VA rating than your requirement. Though the stabilizer of a specified VA rating can sustain a load at the same or lower rating, if there is a sudden rise in power, like during lows in audio, well within the VA rating of the stabilizer, then in this case it can usually take some time for the transformer in the stabilizer to heed to the demand. By the time, the peak would have decayed. Having a higher capacity transformer helps in this case, as a large transformer also acts as a local energy reservoir. It can definitely improve how the lows sound.
Thanks will check them out as well.

I had used Everest stabiliser EWD400 4KVA (double booster) that is used for A/c at home for my Denon x 3300.. I had connected only my AVR to the stabilizer to counter the low voltage in my area..Worked without a glitch..

Ok so a 6A stabilizer is good enough for a 500 watts avr with a 900 wats sub?

For AVR it should be fine.. 900 watts for the subwoofer seems very high.. The actual power consumption of the subwoofer would be low.. But, don't think you need to use a stabilizer for the sub..

An alternate thing that you may try is, in whichever you room you intend to use the stabiliser ( single phase / Single phase for a room), connect the stabiliser to the mains directly and then use the output to the entire room.. This way all the plug points receive the stabilised power. Should work fine IMO.

I had used Everest stabiliser EWD400 4KVA (double booster) that is used for A/c at home for my Denon x 3300.. I had connected only my AVR to the stabilizer to counter the low voltage in my area..Worked without a glitch..

For AVR it should be fine.. 900 watts for the subwoofer seems very high.. The actual power consumption of the subwoofer would be low.. But, don't think you need to use a stabilizer for the sub..

An alternate thing that you may try is, in whichever you room you intend to use the stabiliser ( single phase / Single phase for a room), connect the stabiliser to the mains directly and then use the output to the entire room.. This way all the plug points receive the stabilised power. Should work fine IMO.
Ok i am not sure if i have the provisioning for connecting the voltage stabilizer in such a way to get stabilised power for one room. After connecting my AVR separately to the 3A stabilizer the sound stage improved a lot. Even i feel that connecting avr and the sub to a 6A stablizer wont be sufficient. For now using sub without voltage stabilizer

@elangoas - Do we really not need any stabilizer for Sub?

There isn't a need for stabiliser for the subwoofer.. If you have voltage fluctuations, then good to add one..

I have a whole house stabiliser which are connected to the mains and all the equipment's get stabilised power including AVR and subwoofer amplifier..

If u have budget ,go for a Servo Stabilizer ,I'm using 5 KVA model Vertex Servo Stabilizer to take care of all components.Its a good one.Earlier I was a user of Crystal ,Digi 200 .

Please let me know how to connect the AVR/HT devices to Servo Stabilizer. Will you place the stabilizer next to your equipment and directly connect the AVR/sub into sockets available in Servo stabilizer.

Please let me know how to connect the AVR/HT devices to Servo Stabilizer. Will you place the stabilizer next to your equipment and directly connect the AVR/sub into sockets available in Servo stabilizer.
This is the model. Will be big and bulky

Attachments

• 9788B48A-F694-4911-B21A-A4CD3967B4B8.jpeg
    9788B48A-F694-4911-B21A-A4CD3967B4B8.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 56
  • F8C9EFCA-CE6B-41CB-866E-CFB80AFC1D5F.jpeg
    F8C9EFCA-CE6B-41CB-866E-CFB80AFC1D5F.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 56
I ended up with the v gaurd digi smart 200. Please stay away from this crap

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back