Hi End budget CD Players in the Market

hifiramr

Hi All I need very good recommendations to select very good CD player but need only budget ones.Don't want to invest too much on it but I know some brands are there which will overcome the performance of some hi end cd players in the market like Shanling CD Player from china.

Please share experience who searched a lot on cd players.

:)

what is your budget ?
And whats the rest of the system you want to match it to ?

Budget will be less than 20K prefer used one.

Sir,
With due respect;
Rs. 20/-K is 'entry level'
This Topic may have been incorrectly worded - 'Hi End'
What you need is a Nad / Marantz / Denon / Yamaha etc. from the 2nd hand market. Cambridge would be a great buy - few are available - do look them up.
All the Best in your quest;

Sir,
With due respect;
Rs. 20/-K is 'entry level'
This Topic may have been incorrectly worded - 'Hi End'
What you need is a Nad / Marantz / Denon / Yamaha etc. from the 2nd hand market. Cambridge would be a great buy - few are available - do look them up.
All the Best in your quest;

thanks for the comments."This Topic may have been incorrectly worded - 'Hi End". Bhawan you comparing only the price of the cd player.Hi end means pure performance not price.Some low priced cd players beat hi end ones.for example shanling cd players they are chinese brand but budget ones, once I heard one model don't remember model number but its amazing sound than my friends Musical fidelity cd player which cost thrice. But my taste of music will differ from others.

Last edited:
thanks for the comments."This Topic may have been incorrectly worded - 'Hi End". Bhawan you comparing only the price of the cd player.Hi end means pure performance not price.Some low priced cd players beat hi end ones.for example shanling cd players they are chinese brand but budget ones, once I heard one model don't remember model number but its amazing sound than my friends Musical fidelity cd player which cost thrice. But my taste of music will differ from others.

Musical fidelity is also entry level with pretensions of mid fi at best :) so not really a good comparison to true high end. The older kw series were good but due to their fickle mindedness over new models over so many years have stopped following them, and even stereophile seems to have ;). But for the price a Cambridge audio or a marantz are really good.

Problem with most Chinese electronics is reliability..they may work well , and better, for a year but then it becomes a roll of dice...and they would have changed their model as well. Shanling and opera are the better of the lot. LM audio seems to be turning out to be an exception though

I'm the end the performance of any component is only as good as the weakest component so even if you buy the best cdp, then unless you have the speakers/amp/cables/power etc etc for the same you will not really notice the difference.

So buy something which is future proof, like the above, and if needed can be sold of easily as well..something so many of us have learnt the hard way.

Last edited:
But for the price a Cambridge audio or a marantz are really good.

Problem with most Chinese electronics is reliability...

I have to second the recommendation of Marantz and Cambridge Audio - they're built well, and are fairly modular and easy to perform mods on. They're excellent plain transports for digital outputs as well, even if you want to bypass their analog signal paths (which are pretty good out of the box, and can be upgraded for some fairly astonishing sound if you know what to modify).

Apparently, the DIY/modding crowd seems to be aware of this, so the supply of good used Marantz CD players is tighter now than it used be - it's getting hard to find clean CD63 or CD4000 units for modding.

I just got my first Cambridge Audio unit, an Azur 540D DVD player recently, and I love the build quality, modularity and layout - it's just perfect for projects (DAC, analog signal path, low-jitter clocks, regulators, etc.) and doesn't break the bank. There's plenty of space in the cabinet for additional stuff, etc. I'll give an update of the audio signal path mods later - it's still work in progress, but already sounds much better than stock.

BTW, there's some great Chinese electronics out there, both in high-end (e.g. Shanling and Dared tube equipment) as well as low-end (Tripath amps, gainclones, DACs, etc. on EBay and elsewhere). They just haven't built brand awareness yet, which is fine for those of us who want great deals without breaking the bank.

Hi All I need very good recommendations to select very good CD player but need only budget ones.Don't want to invest too much on it but I know some brands are there which will overcome the performance of some hi end cd players in the market like Shanling CD Player from china.

Please share experience who searched a lot on cd players.

:)

Unfortunately, a CD player is a lot of hardware. The mechanical part alone can't be made at a budget if we talk high-end in the sense of conventional wisdom (considering that high-end transport alone cost several thousand USDs).

Do you have a large CD collection? If so, buy a Music Hall CDP. If not, but Marantz NA7004 Network Player. These are the two best ways to get best bang out of the buck in your budget.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back