Hi experts.... Suggest me best home theater system

Giri_Babu

I am so eagerly reading and searching the information about home-theater systems. Through HiFiVision experts on lots of threads I came to one understand.
My requirement is 75% of movies and 25% of music. My budget is below 35k. So Yamaha YHT-299 best fit for my requirements. And upgraded version of YHT-299 is YHT-2910. I am thinking about this new model also. But its some more cost!
My other plan is to take AVR and speaker systems separately. For ex. Yamaha NS-P40BL 5.1 Speakers and YAMAHA HTR-2067 AVR. These new speakers are more decent than HTIB speakers. (I don't know about performance).

I recently purchased Sony 40inch LED TV (KLV-40R562C) and TataSky HD STB. With flash drive or external hard disk I can play my movie collection with USB port of TV. Is it possible to hear 5.1 channel surround in home theatre which movies are playing through USB of TV?

Please suggest me the best home theater system for my small size rent room.

@Giri_Babu

For 35K an AVR + large speaker combo will be hard to find unless you get a mouth watering deal on pre-owned equipment. Yamaha AVR+speakers may fit within your budget if you can drive a hard bargain on the bundle.
Soundbar may be a good idea in a small space as they work off reflections to create surround sound. There are many reviews of YHT-299. So you should get a fair idea about its performance in various homes.

With an AVR and speakers you can get 5.1 sound via digital input (connected to TV dig out), as long as source has the encoding.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Thank u raghupb
Soundbar may be a good idea in a small space as they work off reflections to create surround sound

I am not interested on Soundbar, because I am expecting 5.1 channel surround sound. And also thinking to move to little more bigger house for good home-theater setup withing six months.

Yamaha NS-P40BL 5.1 Speakers and YAMAHA HTR-2067 AVR are also with in my budget only. But comparing with YHT-299 which one is better?

1. My requirement is 75% of movies and 25% of music. My budget is below 35k. So Yamaha YHT-299 best fit for my requirements. And upgraded version of YHT-299 is YHT-2910. I am thinking about this new model also. But its some more cost!

2. My other plan is to take AVR and speaker systems separately. For ex. Yamaha NS-P40BL 5.1 Speakers and YAMAHA HTR-2067 AVR. These new speakers are more decent than HTIB speakers. (I don't know about performance).

3. I recently purchased Sony 40inch LED TV (KLV-40R562C) and TataSky HD STB. With flash drive or external hard disk I can play my movie collection with USB port of TV. Is it possible to hear 5.1 channel surround in home theatre which movies are playing through USB of TV?

1. If the 299 fits all your requirements for now and for the probably next 2 years, go for it. You could upgrade then, having gained more information on home theaters and also your exact tastes

2. This would be the suggested route. Get an AVR having the number of input options to suit your requirement along with probably 2 speakers to act as Front channels. You could add on as time passes by to build a setup satisfying your taste. You could also look at the pre worshiped market for some great deals on receivers and speakers.

3. Sony TVs are notorious when it comes to supporting various formats. So check on that before deciding on using the USB as a permanent solution. I have rarely seen TVs giving out 5.1 signal, its usually Stereo. So check on that too.

All the best.

MaSh

YHT 299 is a good HTiB set up .if u are fully satisfied go with that .
AVR+separate Speaker package-performance will be better than HTiB ,but you need to check with your budget.

Normally most of the people (if they expect good performances) after 1 or 2 years ,they wish to change from HTiB to AVR+ seperate speakers .(This has happened in my case also).
So it all depends upon your expectations and budget .If you are very satisfied with YHT 299 go for it .It is a very good system for that price range.
The other option is getting a decent AVR and building the 5.1 speaker system step by step.

You mention that yours is a rented room. If you think that you may have to move sometime in the near future, better not go with a 5.1 system

5.1 wiring is a hassle - wires running all around the room, and fixing of rear satellite speakers. If you have to scrap it in a year and move, it is a both inconvenient and costly

Hence consider the suggestion given by another FM
Get an AVR and two front speakers
Something like Bookshelf/Monitor : PSB Alpha B1 Bookshelf Speakers (PAIR)

Then, depending on availability of funds and convenience, you can add rear speakers. Or make these your rear speakers and buy floorstanders.

Normally most of the people (if they expect good performances) after 1 or 2 years ,they wish to change from HTiB to AVR+ seperate speakers .(This has happened in my case also).
So it all depends upon your expectations and budget .If you are very satisfied with YHT 299 go for it .It is a very good system for that price range.
The other option is getting a decent AVR and building the 5.1 speaker system step by step.

Yup ... same happened with me
Check my signature for a detailed progress of how i started and where I am today :D

I suggest u go with Yamaha 299 for now .... i am sure it will satisfy more than what u need ...... u can upgrade after 2 or 3 years with good budget :)

Cheers,
Aditya

2. This would be the suggested route. Get an AVR having the number of input options to suit your requirement along with probably 2 speakers to act as Front channels. You could add on as time passes by to build a setup satisfying your taste. You could also look at the pre worshiped market for some great deals on receivers and speakers.

5.1 wiring is a hassle - wires running all around the room, and fixing of rear satellite speakers. If you have to scrap it in a year and move, it is a both inconvenient and costly.

Thanks MaSh, RajithKumar and grunthos. This is very good idea. Now I am thinking in this way also.
Yes you are correct grunthos.

3. Sony TVs are notorious when it comes to supporting various formats. So check on that before deciding on using the USB as a permanent solution. I have rarely seen TVs giving out 5.1 signal, its usually Stereo. So check on that too.

:mad:.... In such case I have to purchase a good media player(also)!

Check my signature for a detailed progress of how i started and where I am today

Oh.. Its a wonderful journey Aquarian09!:clapping:

Now I have two options in-front of me.
1. Decent AVR + upgrading of speakers
2. YHT-299. (Same time I am thinking about YHT-2910 which one with some latest AVR than 299)

Hi guys...

Is there any where available Onkyo s-5700 HTIB in Bangalore around 50K?
(In Whitefield Forum Value Mall Onkyo store guy telling this model is in the process of discontinue. And he have no stock.)

Hi check out the Polk RM 6750 with yamaha 3067 combo in PROFX before deciding with onkyo or yamaha.

Thank you koushik7pro,

yamaha 3067 is too low end model. (may be you suggested as per my budget).
Really I don't know much about Polk RM 6750. I have to audition with ProFX.

Yesterday I went Onkyo showroom in Forum Value Mall for 5700 HT. But they told this model was discontinued and not available to audition. They auditioned 5805! This one 5.1.2 dolby atmos model. Really its impressive HT! Wonderful Surround Sound. I didn't tried with music. May be this AVR without USB port!!!!:mad:
I am going to increase my budget. (Still I am in confusion)

Thank u raghupb

I am not interested on Soundbar, because I am expecting 5.1 channel surround sound. And also thinking to move to little more bigger house for good home-theater setup withing six months.

Yamaha NS-P40BL 5.1 Speakers and YAMAHA HTR-2067 AVR are also with in my budget only. But comparing with YHT-299 which one is better?

Hi Giri, some points to consider.

YHT-299 = Package of HTR 3066 + NS-P20 5.1 speaker and cost 32k to 35k in market.

If you buy separates, HTR 3066 cost 25 k( unable to find them but) and NS-P20 cost 14 k. Check out which is cheaper. = 39 k

If its YHT 2910 - that's a package of HTR 3067( RX V 377 equivalent) + NS-P40 5.1 which cost 25 k + 19 K = 44 K

NSP 20 and NSP 40 speaker packages have identical drivers with identical technical specs like power handling, sensitivity for center, surround and even for the subwoofer.

So what is the actual difference then ? Its just that NSP40 speaker's enclosures ( ie. Speaker cabinets) are a Tad bigger in size. Especially more pronounced with the Subwoofer.

So think wisely before you choose. Instead of buying NS-P40BL 5.1 Speakers YAMAHA HTR-2067 AVR for 40K, you are better off with YHT 2910 rather than buying the same AVR and Speaker package separately.

Check my signature for a detailed progress of how i started and where I am today :D

I suggest u go with Yamaha 299 for now .... i am sure it will satisfy more than what u need ...... u can upgrade after 2 or 3 years with good budget :)

Cheers,
Aditya

Hi Aditya,

Can you please share your 3D viewing experience ,price and where you bought this projector in India.
Optoma HD141X Full HD 3D - 100" 16:9

Hi Giri, some points to consider.

YHT-299 = Package of HTR 3066 + NS-P20 5.1 speaker and cost 32k to 35k in market.

If you buy separates, HTR 3066 cost 25 k( unable to find them but) and NS-P20 cost 14 k. Check out which is cheaper. = 39 k

If its YHT 2910 - that's a package of HTR 3067( RX V 377 equivalent) + NS-P40 5.1 which cost 25 k + 19 K = 44 K

NSP 20 and NSP 40 speaker packages have identical drivers with identical technical specs like power handling, sensitivity for center, surround and even for the subwoofer.

So what is the actual difference then ? Its just that NSP40 speaker's enclosures ( ie. Speaker cabinets) are a Tad bigger in size. Especially more pronounced with the Subwoofer.

So think wisely before you choose. Instead of buying NS-P40BL 5.1 Speakers YAMAHA HTR-2067 AVR for 40K, you are better off with YHT 2910 rather than buying the same AVR and Speaker package separately.

Your suggestion looking very impressive. As per budget HTIB is better than separate sets.

I ll go Phinix mall this Saturday to audition for YHT-2910, RX-V479 and RX-V579

Thank you gp_freak...

Thanks MaSh, RajithKumar and grunthos. This is very good idea. Now I am thinking in this way also.

:mad:.... In such case I have to purchase a good media player(also)!

Now I have two options in-front of me.
1. Decent AVR + upgrading of speakers
2. YHT-299. (Same time I am thinking about YHT-2910 which one with some latest AVR than 299)

Yes a Media Player or a basic BluRay Player with a USB port to connect an external hard disk. I opted for a bluray player.

Regarding receiver, stick to your requirements and practical future options. Do you see yourself setting up an Atmos speaker configuration in future? INHO unless you are building a dedicated private theater, you will be good with a 5.1 setup. 7.1 if you are really into it. You could take a look at my thread, when I was hunting for a budget receiver: http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/61040-budget-receiver.html#post674502

Your suggestion looking very impressive. As per budget HTIB is better than separate sets.

I ll go Phinix mall this Saturday to audition for YHT-2910, RX-V479 and RX-V579

Thank you gp_freak...

HTiB is a great option till you decide to upgrade. So check the inputs available in the receiver before deciding.

Last edited:
Thank you MaSh...

May be for me a good media player is ok. Bcoz my movie watching habit is depends on downloaded content....

I am very interested on Dolby ATMOS. But receivers are too costly. That's y I am looking for onkyo HTIB. But I am trembling between big budget and small budget.
May be this week no time to visit any audition. Next week I will....

Thank you MaSh...

May be for me a good media player is ok. Bcoz my movie watching habit is depends on downloaded content....

I am very interested on Dolby ATMOS. But receivers are too costly. That's y I am looking for onkyo HTIB. But I am trembling between big budget and small budget.
May be this week no time to visit any audition. Next week I will....

Good you have a direction now. I got the same habit, and thats where my hard disk/pendrive come into play. Atmos still has a long way to go I feel, there are many new formats coming which could prove to be better accepted than Atmos. So you may want to hold off on Atmos and getting a simpler system to start with.

Keep us updated on your purchase.

MaSh

Thank you MaSh...

Atmos and DTS:X are the latest surround sound technologies. I am very eager on these two. (Aura3D is some far way to my budget:mad:) So as per our FMs suggestion and reading lots of threads I came to one decision. I want to purchase decent HT. So decided to double my budget.:D

Onkyo-7705 -90K. I think its very nice HT with decent AVR. Finally I decided to purchase it. But suddenly I came to know through 'DENON owners thread' about Denon-AVR-X1200W. Its with both ATMOS and DTS:X. In onkyo model DTS:X missing. (But speakers are very nice and atmos enabled!)

In ebay X1200W showing 46.5K. So the price is affordable for me if this one is as good AVR. And needed good 5.1 speakers system. Budget is below 50K for speakers apart from AVR.

So please suggest me on this my friends.

Hi

Look at Boston Acoustics HTS2310 which is around 45k + or -.....

There are also Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers available...different models....those are also good...

I recently reviewed BIC America currently used by a home seller who is selling it for 51k...with 7 years warranty......these are very good....clear and room shaking clean bass....

The key is to audition a variety of speakers and decide what appeals to you in appearance, performance and ofcourse budget....all the best

After lots of studying, web thread followings and fellow mates suggestions I booked my dream HT from proFX.
AVR: DENON X1200W
Fronts, Center and Sub : Polk Audio
Surrounds : KEF

May be they will deliver and setup on Monday

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back