Hi-Fi system for western classical music.

Toirarmy

Hi,
What would be a good hi-fi system for around 25-30k. The only purpose would be to listen to Western Classical music(chamber music mostly).Please mention all the required components for the system . I am looking to use my laptop as a source and other than that i do not have any component.
Thank you.

Hi Toirarmy, Welcome to the Forum. With Laptop as source and 30K Budget, You better go with Preowned system. Full range are best for Classics and a Tubeamplifier+Nice DAC.

You could get some USB dac and look for Vintage amplifier for 10-15K, Then spend remaining for Stands and Speakers.

Browse for some Vintage well maintained Speaker and amp.OLX\Quiker is best online source.

I would prefer buying a new system . Can you suggest some norge speaker and amplifiers (and pre-amp if required)?

for chamber music, i believe you need a good sub to hear all the notes. Budget for a sub, and get a cheaper amp and smaller speakers

Hi,
What would be a good hi-fi system for around 25-30k. The only purpose would be to listen to Western Classical music(chamber music mostly).Please mention all the required components for the system . I am looking to use my laptop as a source and other than that i do not have any component.
Thank you.
Don't know what budget it will be and can only suggest you the approach to the system. If majority of your chamber music collection has limited frequency range, is not too dynamic and you listen at moderate volume levels; you can try good DAC a single ended amp driving wideband speaker (no crossover-single driver but two channels). Of course audition first than decide. How big is your room ? If I were in your place and my music preference was as dedicated I would have tried vifa 3.5" driver driven by AmpCamp. But it will be a DIY.
Regards.

Hi Toirarmy,
I too am a lover of western classical music, albeit dominated by orchestral rather than string quartets. Big fan of Haydn, Beethoven, Brahms and a little Mozart. Have not explored chamber beyond these biggies, may be a bit of Dovrak and just a small shot of Shotokovich. Would love to know more of the stuff that you like and listen to.

One of the reasons I focus on keeping a good system is because western classical music can be very dynamic (loud and soft) with contrasting tonal textures. This is true for chamber music too, a quartet can get pretty loud. I am saying all this because you should really consider getting a used system. A decent 5-6-year old amp (10K), and 9-10 year old speaker (15K) combo with a budget DAC will get you much closer to the performance. Right now I am listening to Bach on a forty-five year old turntable and it is giving my modern acrylic and carbon fibre TT a run for the money. Do give it a thought.

There are very many experienced folks who have a better knowledge of the market than I and will surely chip in with suggestions.

Best wishes

Chamber music too can have wild dynamic swings. Just two days ago I attended one of the best concerts I've ever had the opportunity to attend. One piano, three violins, one viola, and one cello. Augustin Dumay was the lead violinist. Their rendition of Chausson's Concert op 21 for piano, violin and string quartet was one hell of a performance. It helped that Dumay was playing a Guarneri violin made sometime in the 1740s. Even from my nosebleed seat, I can tell you that there were wild dynamic passages. My point being chamber is no less demanding of the music reproduction chain.

Chamber music too can have wild dynamic swings. Just two days ago I attended one of the best concerts I've ever had the opportunity to attend. One piano, three violins, one viola, and one cello. Augustin Dumay was the lead violinist. Their rendition of Chausson's Concert op 21 for piano, violin and string quartet was one hell of a performance. It helped that Dumay was playing a Guarneri violin made sometime in the 1740s. Even from my nosebleed seat, I can tell you that there were wild dynamic passages. My point being chamber is no less demanding of the music reproduction chain.

Are these the efforts of SoI you mentioned a while back?
Wonder if there is something similar in Bangalore where one can listen to un-amplified music?

Cheers,
Raghu

Yes Classical music is really demanding and dynamic . I am an amateur violinist and pianist so i mainly listen to violin and piano concertos .Violin concertos and solos tend to have a very big frequency range especially Sibelius who is my favorite right now . I have no problem with working on it or the aesthetic value and would love to do DIY setup just that I don't have any knowledge about it . I would be grateful if anyone can point me to a resource .I think i will also need a DAC as there is a lot of floor noise i can hear even though i have the best quality FLACs from EMI and Deutsche Grammophon

Please consider Schiit Fulla with a good pair of headphones - possibly something from AKG. Or a used Benchmark DAC1, again with a pair of headphones.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back