Hi from Kolkata, the city of joy

justgothere

Hello friends,

My respect & good wishes from Kolkata. I am a finance professional and father of two. I take my reading, travelling and photography very seriously and music plays a very big part in my life. I like to listen a broad selection of music and I am partial to "Queen" & "Pink Flyod" ( Who is not ? :D )

Till now due to shortage of space I was using Yamaha MCR 040 , a bookshelf mini player. I dabble a bit into headphones, I use Audio Technica ATH M50 with FiiO X3 and also play Senn HD 650 with Schiit Modi & Magni through my MAC and windows laptops.

Now I am constructing a 25 ft by 30 ft music room and would like to slowly build up a decent music system. My initial budget will be around Two lakhs and perhaps I can pump it up to 3 lakhs ( with hardship ) :sad:. I have time in my hand and would love to gain from the wealth of experience that you all possess. I would ideally finalise & buy into the system by October 2015. Till then I will keep asking all sorts of noob questions, in another thread :D

regards & bye
Somnath

Hello Sir,

Welcome to HFV. I am basically from Kolkata but recently shifted (just 3 months back) to Hyderabad with a new job. Good to have FMs from native town :)

The thing I want to ask you is whether or not you have listened to any hi-fi system that you liked. This is important to know the signature that you like. Good to know that you already have tasted Schiit Modi & Magni. So Schiit Gungnir should be on your radar.

I suggest you to open a new thread in proper section to take on this discussion further. A suggested thread is Stereo Hunt in Kolkata (60k) which should be interesting read for you and although the initial budget of the OP were 60K, he ended up many fold higher than that even with used gears.

Last edited:
Hello Sir,
I suggest you to open a new thread in proper section to take on this discussion further. A suggested thread is Stereo Hunt in Kolkata (60k)

Hi Koushik,

Thanks for the prompt reply as well as for the recommendation of the thread. i am going through the fascinating thread now.

I will open a thread myself in the appropriate section in due course and please don't call me "Sir"

regards
Somnath

Hi welcome to hifivision. Am from Kolkata too. Don't have much gear though. Still a student. (Its an expensive hobby for someone without a fixed job.)

Hope your audiophile journey is enlightening and full of those 'Moments' that make it all worth the money and time.

PS. Nice to see a fellow HD 650 owner here. Even am looking into a Schiit amp for mine.

Last edited:
Good to see Kolkatan's into Hifi ...This should encourage the audio retailers and hopefully we can have few more choices going forward ...

Welcome to HFV.... 2-3 lakhs is a very good budget I believe (at least very very good considering my financial standard :D).... hope you will gain a lot of knowledge here from the experienced members.

There are few good shops which will surely offer you audiophile quality amps and speakers.

Good luck with your stay here.

Hi friends, thanks for all the encouragement. Unfortunately my work compels me to work every day of the week. Add a bit of parenting and you are left with just few precious moments for yourself. Hence I don't answer fast enough but I am seriously planning to start the planning thread soon. Would urge everyone to chip in to show me the way.
Cheers

This is an introduction section. If you have specific queries, you can best post them in other relevant sections like what should i buy/ amp/ speakers etc....

Welcome Somnath

Just returned last night from a visit to your city. Loved my pit stop at Balaram in Bhowanipur.

Do post your queries when you firm up yur plans I'm sure amny of us can chime in with suggestions.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back