HiFi Enthusiast

ramchandani.manoj

Hi Everyone,
its great to have a forum like this to help audio enthusiasts.

about me in brief: I stay in thane and i am a professional with 15 years of experience in the field of law and consulting.
I have always been drawn to hifi equipments since my days in school days and i think it is time that I set up a decent AV system for my living room.

My Current Set-up:
I recently got a decent 55inch OLED for the screen.
I will be starting from scratch for setting up an audio system/ Home theatre.

To start I am looking for tower speakers and a high quality AVR as i like to listen to a lot of music, i have plans to add additional speakers for surround to complete the Home Theatre in future.

I am looking for some advice from you all on the initial set-up of an AVR and front Towers + Sub

Shortlisted AVRs:
a) Denon X2600H
b) Marantz SR5013
c) Marantz SR5012
d) Pioneer VSX-933

Shortlisted Tower speaker:
a) Q Accoustics 3050i
b) Dali Oberon 5
c) Elac Debut 2.0 F5.2
d) Wharfedale Diamond 11.4

looking forward to hear from all the pundits here.

Thanks,
Manoj

Hi Everyone,
its great to have a forum like this to help audio enthusiasts.

about me in brief: I stay in thane and i am a professional with 15 years of experience in the field of law and consulting.
I have always been drawn to hifi equipments since my days in school days and i think it is time that I set up a decent AV system for my living room.

My Current Set-up:
I recently got a decent 55inch OLED for the screen.
I will be starting from scratch for setting up an audio system/ Home theatre.

To start I am looking for tower speakers and a high quality AVR as i like to listen to a lot of music, i have plans to add additional speakers for surround to complete the Home Theatre in future.

I am looking for some advice from you all on the initial set-up of an AVR and front Towers + Sub

Shortlisted AVRs:
a) Denon X2600H
b) Marantz SR5013
c) Marantz SR5012
d) Pioneer VSX-933

Shortlisted Tower speaker:
a) Q Accoustics 3050i
b) Dali Oberon 5
c) Elac Debut 2.0 F5.2
d) Wharfedale Diamond 11.4

looking forward to hear from all the pundits here.

Thanks,
Manoj
If it is more of music than movies, my vote would be for

Marantz SR5013 and Q Acoustics 3050i.

My recommendation..
AVR:
Marantz SR5013 / Marantz SR5012
Speaker:
Q3050i / Wharfedale Diamond 11.4

Last edited:
Why not go with a dedicated stereo amp and tower speakers since music is the priority. Add an AVR to use the same towers and surrounds later.
Take a look at what @Dr Sarkar has done here

thanks Jayant.
Dr. Sarkar's set up is very impressive indeed!
for me i would prefer to use one amplifier as it is in my living room and i dont think i can keep two amplifiers at this point.
a lot of mid to high range AVRs can power 100 watts/channel for stereo set-ups.

If you’re open to pre-loved speakers I have some wonderful Infinity floor standers which are perfect for HT.
These are the Cascade series no longer being manufactured
Since you’re close to Mumbai I would be ok to send them for auditioning
They are slender and do look nice
PM if interested

thanks Jayant.
Dr. Sarkar's set up is very impressive indeed!
for me i would prefer to use one amplifier as it is in my living room and i dont think i can keep two amplifiers at this point.
a lot of mid to high range AVRs can power 100 watts/channel for stereo set-ups.

Sure Manoj - limited space is a very relatable and common problem. :)
However, going by "mid to high range AVRs can power 100 watts/channel for stereo set-ups" as a judgement for picking your AVR is flawed.
The power rating per channel has no bearing on the musicality of the amp. In fact a good analogy is to compare the power per channel or the power handling capability of the speakers with fuel tank capacity of a car. 100 watts per channel is like saying tank capacity of 60 liters - you just know you can't fill 61 liters or go beyond 100 watts. Doesn't say anything about the fuel efficiency or performance of the car and likewise the performance of the amp.

Since you mentioned music will be the predominant usage, the point I'm trying to make is use an amp best suited for your usage. A quality stereo amp rated at even 20-30 watts per channel will far outperform an AVR at music playback.
The Marantz AVRs no doubt are pretty good at music, but do audition dedicated stereo setups in comparison to see what you'll miss out on.

Hi Manoj,
Welcome to the forum.
Can you mention what is your maximum budget for the floorstanding speakers.
Reason being i have a brand new Dali Opticon 8 which is the flagship of the Opticon series.
If it fits in your budget, i will pm you the details.
Thanks.

Sure Manoj - limited space is a very relatable and common problem. :)
However, going by "mid to high range AVRs can power 100 watts/channel for stereo set-ups" as a judgement for picking your AVR is flawed.
The power rating per channel has no bearing on the musicality of the amp. In fact a good analogy is to compare the power per channel or the power handling capability of the speakers with fuel tank capacity of a car. 100 watts per channel is like saying tank capacity of 60 liters - you just know you can't fill 61 liters or go beyond 100 watts. Doesn't say anything about the fuel efficiency or performance of the car and likewise the performance of the amp.

Since you mentioned music will be the predominant usage, the point I'm trying to make is use an amp best suited for your usage. A quality stereo amp rated at even 20-30 watts per channel will far outperform an AVR at music playback.
The Marantz AVRs no doubt are pretty good at music, but do audition dedicated stereo setups in comparison to see what you'll miss out on.

thank you so much. this is very helpful :)
i do have limited space but i think i can add more components over a period of time. i will audition Stereo set-ups as advised by you.

Regards,

Manoj

Since you are more inclined to music, I'd suggest Marantz SR5013 and Dali Zensor 7(not shortlisted by you but the detailing is brilliant). Audition patiently and if possible go for neutral sound signature for music.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back