• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted High efficiency speakers (suitable for tube amplification)

Home Theatre Systems

eddie_fox

Hi all,

I am moving on from my Harbeths + Trigon SS integrated to a potential tube amplification setup. I am looking for used speakers which would work well with tubes as well as SS, maybe even horns. Any suggestions please?

Budget - Around 3 lakhs (for used speakers)
Music genres - Most kinds, except heavy metal and techno/electronic

Thanks

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Please consider making a voluntary donation to help towards the running of HiFiViSION.COM

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  5. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  6. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  7. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  8. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  9. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

Naturelover

Staff member
Not too sure of this but I did read that Harbeths do work well with tube amplification.
For your budget, Rethm is an option. You can get new Bhava or used Trishna/Maarga.
Look at Tekton also.

mpw

Rethm is a good option... They have their own amps too.

In fact a Rethm Saadhana is on sale on the forum

Jochen has / had a tube amp range too I think...

Much depends on your room though...

Regards

eddie_fox

Ohh man. Got to come over for the final listening before they are gone.

MaSh
Anytime before the next weekend though.

Not too sure of this but I did read that Harbeths do work well with tube amplification.
For your budget, Rethm is an option. You can get new Bhava or used Trishna/Maarga.
Look at Tekton also.
I am travelling to Kochi in a week or so. I will definitely check out the Rethms. Tektons -, have to do some research.

Rethm is a good option... They have their own amps too. In fact a Rethm Saadhana is on sale on the forum. Jochen has / had a tube amp range too I think... Much depends on your room though...
Regards
Jochen has seen my current setup and my music taste, and he has suggested the Blumenhofers Tempesta 20. But he feels it works better with SS or hybrids. So, I have not discussed tube amp with him yet.

Fiftyfifty

Hi,

Some options that I considered that may be worth sharing with you:
  1. Full tube amplification + speakers: If amp is low output, speakers have to be highly sensitive, thus limiting speaker choice. If amp is high output, cost goes up exponentially if you want good quality. In either case, problems of matching speakers with the amp in terms of impedance, power handling, sensitivity, etc. remain (and can make a huge difference in what you hear) and you don't feel confident about a setup unless you have the option of auditioning the combination of components. Moreover, I am not in favour of the sound of most horns that I have heard.
  2. Get a matched set of amp +speakers from people like Jochen or Lyrita. Here again, choices are limited.
  3. A high end tube pre + a high end SS power amp: Opens up the choice of speakers, and even your current Harbeths may sound really great. Your initial investment is limited to a tube pre and you still retain the choice of upgrading to a tube Power and new speakers. I went with this option, getting a Berning mz2 as a tube pre to start with.
In any case, it will be interesting to see where this takes you.
Best wishes

essrand

Hi all,

I am moving on from my Harbeths + Trigon SS integrated to a potential tube amplification setup. I am looking for used speakers which would work well with tubes as well as SS, maybe even horns. Any suggestions please?

Thanks
Fantastic direction to go in.

Once you hear the magic of high efficiency speakers and tube amps (preferably SET, 300b or 211 tubes) you can't go back to anything else.

Naturelover

Staff member
Being in Bangalore, you might want to have a chat with Siva. He has favoured tube pre and SS power.
His products follow that princlple.

raghupb

Hi all,

Thanks
Hey @eddie_fox!!
If I remember correct, wasn't it just a couple of years ago that you acquired the Harbeths.
Bored of the sound already ;)
Cheers,
Raghu

eddie_fox

Hey @eddie_fox!!
If I remember correct, wasn't it just a couple of years ago that you acquired the Harbeths.
Bored of the sound already ;)
Cheers,
Raghu
Hey Raghu,
It is more a case of excitability (or lack thereof), rather than boredom. But, just feel like it's time for a change. I will invite you over for another listening session once I get the replacements in.
Ed