• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted High end bookshelf speakers - budget 1L-2.5L INR

Easy EMI Options at HiFiMART.com

vineetrad

Yes , totally. But aren’t you doing the opposite of what we both are saying here ?
You already have amps, yes ? And you are auditioning for new speakers which will be connected to those , no ?

I have multiple speaker setups at home. For this new speaker, as I mentioned earlier I will choose my speaker first, then see if any of my current amps work well with it. If so then great. However I will not limit my speaker choice by that criteria. If not I will buy the best amp I can for the new speaker.

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

If you feel that HiFiVision.com has helped you in any way, please consider making a donation. Your regular donation will help in the running and maintenence of this forum.

Bloom@83

I have multiple speaker setups at home. For this new speaker, as I mentioned earlier I will choose my speaker first, then see if any of my current amps work well with it. If so then great. However I will not limit my speaker choice by that criteria. If not I will buy the best amp I can for the new speaker.

Fair enough. That’s what I’ve been saying from the beginning.
Since you have a fairly flexible budget , going by your posts , and since you have multiple setups as you say , why don’t you target the big boys now .... something like the Tannoy Turnberry SE or the B&W 702 S2 ?

vineetrad

Fair enough. That’s what I’ve been saying from the beginning.
Since you have a fairly flexible budget , going by your posts , and since you have multiple setups as you say , why don’t you target the big boys now .... something like the Tannoy Turnberry SE or the B&W 702 S2 ?

Would love to though for the small room these are going to be in and listening distance of around 5 feet this is definitely going to be a near field listening setup.

A floorstander would likely not work, hence looking for a high quality stand mount. I may decide to supplement with a JL Audio sub integrated in with measurements at a later stage.

The B&W bookshleves are in consideration though

prem

You can look up Joseph Audio Pulsar bookshelves. I think Jignesh is the distributor for Joseph Audio

vineetrad

There is a Focal bookshelf in the Sale section.

Yes was reading up a bit on them. Never heard them - only exposure to Focal high end models was the much larger FS Sopra 2 demo during a trip abroad. From what I gather the Beryllium tweeter sparkle and extension will be good for short bursts of attentive critical listening but may be fatiguing for long sessions. I assume imaging will be great.

In my specific case, fatiguing for long sessions is not necessarily a weakness - I have the Harbeth and Spendor for that. In fact, I am looking for a transparent, neutral, fast, dynamic incisive type of sound that can be rewarding for short 15-20 min sessions of critical listening. So perhaps the Focals (as long as extension and sparkle doesn't translate to actual sibilance) are a good choice!

Does anyone have any personal experience with the Focal Micro Utopia BE? Would love to hear any inputs.

vineetrad

ATC SCM40 if you prefer a truer sounding speaker.

Honestly this is the only floorstander I am very tempted to consider. Being sealed it can go closer to room boundaries than most other FSs. Also that magical mid range dome is very tempting. The advantage with the small room is that being a dedicated space I can add bass traps and acoustic treatment. So I'm trying to convince myself to flout my own normal rule of matching speaker size with room size (13.5ftx12ft) for the SCM40 :)

thedude

Honestly this is the only floorstander I am very tempted to consider. Being sealed it can go closer to room boundaries than most other FSs. Also that magical mid range dome is very tempting. The advantage with the small room is that being a dedicated space I can add bass traps and acoustic treatment. So I'm trying to convince myself to flout my own normal rule of matching speaker size with room size (13.5ftx12ft) for the SCM40 :)
:)

Rosenarayanappa

I'd prefer bookshelves in the 2L used price range (willing to go up further though for something exceptional) from ATC, Proac, Dynaudio, Revel, PMC, etc. Also open to Sonus Faber, Revel, Joseph Audio, etc.

Not looking for Harbeth or Spendor since I have those brands already.

Please PM me if you have something to sell or know anyone who is looking to sell.

Thanks
Are you selling ur harbeth or spendors?

rsjaurr

Yes was reading up a bit on them. Never heard them - only exposure to Focal high end models was the much larger FS Sopra 2 demo during a trip abroad. From what I gather the Beryllium tweeter sparkle and extension will be good for short bursts of attentive critical listening but may be fatiguing for long sessions. I assume imaging will be great.

In my specific case, fatiguing for long sessions is not necessarily a weakness - I have the Harbeth and Spendor for that. In fact, I am looking for a transparent, neutral, fast, dynamic incisive type of sound that can be rewarding for short 15-20 min sessions of critical listening. So perhaps the Focals (as long as extension and sparkle doesn't translate to actual sibilance) are a good choice!

Does anyone have any personal experience with the Focal Micro Utopia BE? Would love to hear any inputs.
Then you should pick up those Focals.
If I'm looking for bookshelves in that price range and your requirements I'll not waste time.:)

prasen_b

How about high efficiency bookshelf speakers? The ones that come with horns for the tweeters like Klipsch RP 600M. Technically the high efficiency design and drivers come with certain advantages. I have never heard one but always wondered if they are better than low efficiency designs.

vineetrad

How about high efficiency bookshelf speakers? The ones that come with horns for the tweeters like Klipsch RP 600M. Technically the high efficiency design and drivers come with certain advantages. I have never heard one but always wondered if they are better than low efficiency designs.

Singe drivers, especially like the new active Rethm Aarka, horns like Blumenhofer (not sure if Jochen is back and if there is any stock) and also something like Klipsch Heresy speakers would be a few other types of speaker I am indeed looking at.

What is out are electrostats, and most ported large floorstanders

prem

There’s a Tekton DI SE for sale on the forum. They are floorstanders but should work fine in a small room. I would rate it better than any of the models being discussed here, including my previous recommendation of JA Pulsar.

hydra

I was on a social visit with Jacob George of Rethm yesterday evening, and I was lucky to be able to listen to the final version of the Rethm Aarka. It is an upgraded version of the initial design that was sent to 6Moons, and was reviewed there recently.

The Aarka is an active stand-mount speaker, with a 5" full range driver, and a pair rear of rear-firing 5" subwoofers. Each speaker has a tube preamp section and a solid state class AB amp.

I'm must say that it sounded really good. The scale and presentation of the sound is classic Rethm: Huge, wide sound stage, with pin point imaging. It is also a very natural sounding speaker, like all Rethms, and Jacob George has managed to get some more lower midrange oomph from this new speaker, than from the other Rethm speakers. (I was told that the new generation Maargas and Saadhanas will also feature a richer lower midrange texture. Both these are currently in production, with the Maargas shipping too, I think). This stand - mount speaker sounded like a much larger speaker, with very rich and room-filling bass, even in the large Rethm Studio.

I think the retail price in India for a pair would likely be just a bit over the 1.5L range (without stands). It was setup just to play, and not finished to final retail standards, so I didn't take any pics. Considering that these are actives, with no separate amp necessary, that's actually a very good price (if it stays in this range) for these speakers.

I'm unabashedly a huge fan of the Rethm sound philosophy, and I think that you might like to give these a listen when they are available in the market. (That should be very soon.)

Last edited:

vineetrad

There’s a Tekton DI SE for sale on the forum. They are floorstanders but should work fine in a small room. I would rate it better than any of the models being discussed here, including my previous recommendation of JA Pulsar.

@prem The room is only 12x13.5ft and listening distance is 4-5 ft. Putting aside the fact that that they will dominate the room visually do you feel they will work in a near field setup? I had not considered the Tektons because I assumed they would be way too big for such a small room and listening distance.

prem

I think they would. They are very coherent even in near field listening inspite of having so many drivers. It’s definitely worth reading up on it and also checking with a few users. I have owned these speakers. So am pretty familiar with them. There are people who have replaced USD 30000 speakers with these. They are seriously good. For most this would be an end game speaker. They are also pretty non fussy when it comes to placement. There are people driving these with 2a3 amps and there are people driving these with 300 watt amps. It’s a very honest speaker. Minimal coloration, if any. It’s a very open, dynamic sounding speaker. It will not add any mid bass warmth like the Harbeth or Spendor. Sound is more along the lines of Wilson Audio. It will playback what it’s fed.

Last edited: