Hindustani Classical Music

sumeetbagade

Banned
Banned
Although quite a lot is discussed about, i thought there was'nt a specific thread dedicated to Hindustani Classical.

Want u all to share the TITLES / ALBUMS, both INSTRUMENTAL and VOCAL, that u enjoyed on vinyls....

Will start my list with my most favourite artist,

SRK a.k.a Shivputra (siddha)Rammayya Komakali a.k.a Pandit Kumar Gandharva.

1. 1963 - Sanjari / Bageshri.

2. 1969 - Saheli todi / Beehad bhairav.

3. 1973 - Shree kalyan, Shree, Kalyan, Puriya dhanashri, Gauri basant, Sohni.

4. 1976 - Chaiti bhoop, Nand, Bahar, Kamodvanti, Sawani, Mishra bihag.

5. 1986 - Todi, Ahir bhairav, Alhaiya bilawal, Des, Shudha sarang, Gaud sarang.

6. Bhajans - Vasundhar and Kumarji.

7. Marathi NATYASANGEET - mala umajlele Bal Gandharva, vol 1 and 2.

Am desperately searching for his KABIR NIRGUNI BHAJANS vinyl.... i have it on a CD....

WATCH THIS EXCEPTIONAL VIDEO AND TELL ME IF IT DOES'NT INVOLVE YOU.

YouTube - Kumar Gandharva: aisan kaisA

anyone wanting to explore this saintly voice and personality, watch SHABNAM VIRMANI'S documentary on KUMAR GANDHARVA.....

Kumar Gandharva sings KABIR.....

" JHINI JHINI CHADARIYA"...

YouTube - Kumar Gandharva - Jhini Chadriya

Last edited by a moderator:
Initiation of a very nice thread Sumit.

I have one suggestion though. Please include all discussions on North Indian Classical music in this thread, not just on vinyls; because not everybody has a TT, there are not too many vinyls available new currently, not at least in India. There may be a few releases abroad.

I think we should include all kinds of other sources, especially CDs.

In addition, in this thread, we can discuss our experience and perception of everything to do with the North Indian classical music. We can even share anecdotes. I am sure you know many lovely stories about musicians and concerts that you attended. Some of us can also help newcomers who want to know about North Indian classical music, and want to develop their taste in this genre of music.

This is only a suggestion. Please consider it. If you agree, then we can request a moderator to change the name of the thread to something more appropriate: something like just "North Indian (or Hindustani) Classical Music".

Regarding the nice set of records, you have listed, let me just ask you: are those still available somewhere? I have, I think, only one vinyl of Kumar Gandharva.

When I was a graduate student in the US in the 80's, once I met one Dr. Rele, a gentleman of age well over 60, who was touring the US with one of his musician students. He was a fine musician and an associate of Kumar Gandharva, so he said. He gave me lessons on 3 ragas: Malkauns, Jhinjhoti and Gaud Sarang. He gave me some of the Kumar Gandharva Vandishes (compositions) and some traditional Gwalior Gharana vandishes. I recorded all the lessons in 2 cassettes. Only in the past week, I found the cassettes and I listened to them a number of times since then. Dr. Rele was a fine musician and a fine gentleman who taught me music just for the love of it, free of cost and free of any expectations.

Regards.

Nice thread sumeet,
Pandit Kumar Gandharv is one of my favorite other being Vasantrao Deshpande. I saw Pandit Kumar Gandharv interview on doordarshan probably a year back. The man is a gem of a person, his thoughts on music and in general things around us was nice to hear. People will be surprised to know he had only one lung and adapted classical singing to this shortcoming.

@hiten.
Was. He was a nice person. So to say.
He passed away eons ago.
Yes I know and should have written 'was' as in last sentence I have used past tense. Any way lets keep the thread focussed on music.
Here is a Nirguni bhajan I like...
NAIYA MORI NIKE NIKE song from album PT. KUMAR GANDHARVA - A LIFE IN MUSIC - PT. KUMAR GANDHARVA - A LIFE IN MUSIC songs - Artists Music - Artists Songs, Soundtracks, Music, Lyrics, Videos and Trailers - PT. KUMAR GANDHARVA - A LIFE IN MUSIC album

Moderator - Please change the name of the thread to,
HINDUSTANI CLASSICAL MUSIC.

Asitji,
as u rightly point out, the intent of the thread is to "help newcomers who want to know about North Indian classical music, and want to develop their taste in this genre of music".

A person who enjoys music in general cannot escape the enjoyment in ALL THE GENRES of music... its just a MATTER OF EXPOSURE and a few basic pointers that a newcomer needs to know..... i myself am a relative newcomer to the hindustani music, but as it was played all the time in my home, i picked it up very easily... it would be great pleasure in learning a few new things from people like u though.....

Also, all the vinyls that i mention have been collected very diligently over the last 2-3 years..... people here ( in Pune, Mumbai) would'nt wanna part with their KUMAR GANDHARVA collection man... they would'nt have a turntable in working condition, nor an amp, and would readily comply to sell their rest of the vinyl collection... BUT when it comes to Kumarji's vinyls, the answer is a firm NO.... they r just satisfied in owning a vinyl of Kumarji's...... these same people have parted with their Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, Abdul Karim Khan sahab, Amir Khan sahab, Pt.Jasraj vinyls.... goes to show the PLACE IN THEIR HEARTS THE ARTIST HAS.... am keeping a track of all these vinyl owners and will definately look for duplicate copies for you....

Hiten,
U r right when u say that even as a person he was very intellectual, learned, saintly and novel in his ideas about how to play and interpret music.... this was mainly after staying in Dewas for a decade after he was diagnosed with lung cancer.....
but that apart, just as a musician i think he is exceptional......

The following Bandishes r worth mentioning....

1. RAAJAN AB TOH AAJARE - NAND.
2. DARAS BIN NIRAS - SAWANI
3. DEKHO RE RUT, PHOOLAN LAGI - SHREE KALYAN.
4. AAJRAA, DIN DOOBAA - PURIYA DHANASHREE.
and a Tarana (YALA YA YALLE, YALALE) in MISHRA BEHAG.
Raag - SAHELI TODI
is also sung magnificantly....

Dear Sumeet,
Sunil is one of the greatest admirers of Kumar Gandharva. Sunil is a very well respected theoretical physicist too. Last time when he visited our Institute in Kolkata to deliver a seminar on his work (in theoretical physics), I had a very enjoyable discussion with him on music. During one of my next visits to TIFR, I must reserve some time for listening to his collections. His homepage has a dedicated link only for Kumar Gandharva, Kumar Gandharva Home Page (Sunil Mukhi), which contains all sorts of information about Kumar Gandharva including pictures. BTW, you inspired me to go and buy the Nirguni Bhajans CD yesterday. Very nice. Only 4 bhajans though, and I liked the last the best.

Regards

Since the time one elderly Parsi music enthusiast here in Pune, uncle Miki, posed a query to me as to,
"Why are majority of MUSIC ENTHUSIASTS / AUDIOPHILES educationally very well qualified people mainly in the field of SCIENCES" ?
he has gotten me thinking....

I think there is such a trend to be seen even on the HFV forum...

Whats ur take on this guys ???
Does uncle Miki have a case to present ????

Re: Hindustani Classical - "must have" VINYLS.

Does uncle Miki have a case to present ????

Uncle Miki does not have a case here, I think. I know many many (classical) music enthusiasts (here in Bengal and also in Maharashtra) who are academically not highly qualified (in science or whatever). I also know many highly qualified people who have no taste for any music let alone Indian classical.

I have found South Indians generally are great music lovers, irrespective of the social/academic/economic background (agreed that I perhaps have met only socially-more-privileged people). They also come more to Hindustani concerts, than North Indians go to Carnatic concerts. Over the last 30 years I have had very close friends from different parts of South India, all these friendships started and developed because of music. I have had similar experience with Maharashtrians too. They are great lovers of vocal music. When I meet some of these friends or talk over the phone with them, we never talk anything other than music.

Regards.

Last edited:
"Why are majority of MUSIC ENTHUSIASTS / AUDIOPHILES educationally very well qualified people mainly in the field of SCIENCES" ? I think there is such a trend to be seen even on the HFV forum...

This is a point that can be debated for years. But generally, it is only a part of the society that is financially comfortable and has some spare time that spends time on Arts. This could be music, theatre, as well as arts such as painting etc. Of course, there is a large percentage of people who come or participate for the snob value.

If you visit the Sabhas in Chennai during the music season in December, you will find this in great abundance. I have also seen a large percentage of the audience to be above 50 - people who are not under the regular pressure of the proverbial rat race. The youngsters who do come are either part of the snob crowd or genuine people who have made Arts their profession.

Of course, there is also ever present age-genre combination. If you want to be considered as part of the in-crowd you cannot like a Ravi Shankar or a Kumar Gandharva, can you? It should be Britney Spears or Emminem or whatever is the latest fashion.

It is always a great eye opener talking to the Sabha regulars. They are so partial to certain artists that they just write off other, mostly budding, artists.
As an artist, there is no option but to go through the grind before you gain recognition. On a regular basis, if you keep your eyes and ears open, you can always see some new brilliance in the December season.

Cheers

If you want to be considered as part of the in-crowd you cannot like a Ravi Shankar or a Kumar Gandharva, can you? It should be Britney Spears or Emminem or whatever is the latest fashion.

That is what 150 years of foreign rule does to you..... but all is not lost.... being a part of that same young generation, i see some very pleasant changes..... some singers, music directors making FOLK based compositions; rather than following the western trend of hip-hop and disco... some movie directors tackling RURAL subjects and issues ( some very good composers and directors in Marathi films)..... so, things WILL CHANGE, slowly but surely....

Anyway, thanks Venkat for making the appropriate changes in subject of the thread....

back to the thread... Still a lot of Hindustani Classical performers to be written about...

Do not forget the INSTRUMENTAL artists guys... SHIVJI, HARIJI, RAVI SHANKAR, ALI AKBAR KHAN, RAM NARIAN, VILAYAT KHAN, RAIS KHAN, MOHAN BHATT, ALLA RAKHA, ZAAKIR....

Very recently, had an opportunity to meet SHIVJI and USTAD RAIS KHAN backstage during 2 seperate concerts here in Pune.. they were very impressed to see my vinyls..... got 2 of them autographed....

SHIVJI's rendition of RAAG - JHINJHOTI in that live concert was exceptional....

Pandit KumarGandharv provokes extreme reactions.Extreme love or intense dislike.
I started of in the first group and ended up in the second group.

Pandit KumarGandharv provokes extreme reactions.Extreme love or intense dislike.
I started of in the first group and ended up in the second group.

You r absolutely right....
and it happens to ALL individuals who DO NOT conform to the beaten path and DARE TO STRAY....
Kumarji, for a very long time, was looked down upon by the PURISTS of Hindustani classical for not following the GHARANA tradition, inventing new Raags ( which he called Discovering) and bringing SHASTRIYA sangeet closer to FOLK MUSIC / BHAJAN.
As far as my experience goes, all these are just the things of the past, and I personally DO NOT know of any established classical artist / longtime listener who DISLIKES Kumarji.....
Also it usually happens the other way, first u dislike him and slowly the singing grows on u....

I had posted this sometime back. I think it now belongs here.

The post is about more than the music.

Ganga Mahotsav - Doordarshan Gem- Ustad Bismillah Khan, Rajam and Pt Kishan Mahraj

The Government has sole ownership over hidden treasures. If any of our poor souls were to dig the backyard (difficult for me from the third floor), and stumble (i certainly wish not to, from the third floor) on a treasure, it becomes Government property. We have to duly notify the appropriate authority who will promptly, appropriate it.

There are times, when Government gives those hidden treasures away. This is one such.

All India Radio and Doordarshan had an absolute monopoly over recordings for a long time. There was no competition from satellite TV and MP3 then. Radio was the common man's potion and personal music was expensive. 60 minute cassettes were upwards of Rs 50 and CDs were at a touch me not price, if ever they were visible.

AIR and DD collected gems in those days quietly. They still lie buried within their archives. Once in a while, someone picks up the tapes and they gently waft into the commercial world. They never match the big bang impact of the commercial soundtracks. Many of these gems will sell a tenth or hundredth of Billu Barber or similiar cacaphony.

Given their low commercial prospects (not just because of taste but also due to the menace of downloadable low bit rate MP3), it takes as much serendipity to stubmle on them. I got my share while waiting for a lunch meeting in Khan Market in Delhi. The side label of the CD said Ustad Bismillah Khan but there was the familiar spiral logo of DD that made me take the CD out. Somewhere in the back cover it said coming together of great artistes and it listed N. Rajam and Pt Kishan Mahraj. The CD was damaged and i couldnt find another (though stumbled on another DD recording of the Ustad alone and picked it up too, that's another post).

In one of those rare experiences in a place like Delhi, the attendant himself offered to let me take it with a no question return policy. In an even rarer experience, the owner affirmed this offer. Whats happening to Delhi, its getting too refined nowadays. I was on a four day trip with my laptop without CD drive and had to wait till today to see if it worked. It has its imperfections. EAC helped create a 99.5% rip (those morals will now force me not to return the CD now). Well, a gem without a blemish may very well be a chinese fake nowadays, so i am happy with this near perfect rip.

The whole CD is one glorious Rag Yaman, all 54 minutes of it. I have zero technical knowledge of classical music and seem to like it that way. All of these 54 minutes is bliss. It has the all familiar gentle start of the Ustad. Somewhere along the line N.Rajam joins unnoticed and coasts along. The inevitable staccato of the Ustad is matched with N.Rajam along the way and they drift back into smooth melody. Shehnai and Violin alternating and you can hardly notice the switch. The art flows uninterrupted.

The digital life plays such cruel tricks. In an instant it gets me access to these pleasures. In the next instant it reminds of what i can never digitise. None of the perfect rips, the THD statistics, the driver designs or the db sensitivities can digitise the goose pimples of listening to it live on the banks of Ganga. The music faithfully records the occassional rapture of the audience and the exclamation of the maestro, and if i close my eyes, i can see the ghats and can feel the music waft like the river, and i am almost, almost there.

Salaam Ustad, and when i eventually end up seeing Varanasi, its not the river, the rituals or the Lord that will captivate me. It will simply be the undying memory of this digital divinity.

This piece of immortality is labelled Bharat Ratna Series, Naad Shikar Ustad Bismillah Khan, Volumes I and II, and costs a mere 195, inclusive of all the taxes that accrue to the Govt for letting you sample this.

if i close my eyes, i can see the ghats and can feel the music waft like the river, and i am almost, almost there.
and when i eventually end up seeing Varanasi, its not the river, the rituals or the Lord that will captivate me. It will simply be the undying memory of this digital divinity.

what a brilliant post dear.....
That is exactly what music is supposed to do to u.....
its a pity that some of us get lost in the intricate technicalities of ANALOGUE VS DIGITAL, GARRARD VS THORENS, VALVE VS TRANSISTER, BOSE VS CONE & MAGNET, ROOM ACOUSTICS, CONNECTOR CABLES, MM/MC CARTRIDGES..... just try and concentrate what the creator has created and the rest would just be that, MERE TECHNICALITIES..............

a person who has experienced even a fifth of what the original post describes, would try and search for such recordings and an equipment upgrade would be his LAST PRIORITY.......

Done. If the thread shows enough interest in people we will make it a sticky later.

Cheers

venkatcr

This thread is shaping up quite nicely.If it can sustain the same quality of information,intelligence and interest over a period of time,then it deserves to be made a sticky.

Incidentally, is there a criteria for making a thread, a sticky? Is the criteria based on something objective or is it purely subjective? Has any review been ever carried out of the current stickies, to find out whether they are still relevant or worth their 'sticky' status ?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back