Home Theater Automation (Basic) - Help Needed

sam9s

Hi All,

I am looking for some very basic Automation for my friends home theater.
Basically below is what is needed

1. Need to control all my HT lights (divided among 6 switches) and AC (one dedicated switch) with my Android, Z-wave is what I am looking for.

Someone suggested to get Fibaro.....gateway (Fibaro Home Center Lite / Z-Wave Gateway | eBay) and then couple of relays to control the lights and AC
(Fibaro FGS-223 - Relay Insert 2 x 1,5 kW Gen 5 | eBay)

and be done with it ... anyone has any experience with this? Do they work in India, officially the frequency is not supported but unofficially people say it works ????

2. When this is achieved (be able to control my lights from Android), next step is to automate it, like when the movie starts, the lights should slowly dim and then go out, when the movie is paused, the lights should come up but only at 50% intensity, and when movies is stopped, the lights should come up fully, automatically.

How is this achieved, some pointers, I need kodi to be the primary app playing the movies.

Need some quality advice from experts here who have dived in to HT Automation. Budget is not very liberal, something like 50K (less if possible) is all my friend has

Please assist

Regards
Sammy

Hi All,

I am looking for some very basic Automation for my friends home theater.
Basically below is what is needed

1. Need to control all my HT lights (divided among 6 switches) and AC (one dedicated switch) with my Android, Z-wave is what I am looking for.

Someone suggested to get Fibaro.....gateway (Fibaro Home Center Lite / Z-Wave Gateway | eBay) and then couple of relays to control the lights and AC
(Fibaro FGS-223 - Relay Insert 2 x 1,5 kW Gen 5 | eBay)

and be done with it ... anyone has any experience with this? Do they work in India, officially the frequency is not supported but unofficially people say it works ????

2. When this is achieved (be able to control my lights from Android), next step is to automate it, like when the movie starts, the lights should slowly dim and then go out, when the movie is paused, the lights should come up but only at 50% intensity, and when movies is stopped, the lights should come up fully, automatically.

How is this achieved, some pointers, I need kodi to be the primary app playing the movies.

Need some quality advice from experts here who have dived in to HT Automation. Budget is not very liberal, something like 50K (less if possible) is all my friend has

Please assist

Regards
Sammy

Hi Sam,
I am using the Fibaro at my place for automation and I am far from being an expert;). Physical Set up was started a couple of months back, but due to my travel commitments it was put on hold. Same will be completed, along with the scenes set up, in Jun. Im using an HC2 with relays and dimmers throughout the house.
With regard to your query, controlling the Lights (6 switches) you will need 3 of the double switch relays that you have listed. Do note that this will only swith the lights on and off. For Dimming you will have to use the Fibaro dimmer module instead(6 modules as each controls one switch). Also if you are using LED Lights make sure that a compatible dimmable driver is in use to avoid flickering of lights when dimming. I have posted a bit of info here http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhanc...-projector-suggestions-please.html#post729723
It will be possible to set up scenes to control the swithcing off/on and dimming lights when paused etc. Info about this is available on Fibaro forums and it requires some programming knowledge...shouldnt be a problem for you I'm assuming.
Incase Plex or Kodi is being used, there is a plugin for the Fibaro which works with the lighting scene to do the needful. Detailed Info available online - Fibaro Forum(google zindabad). With physical equipment Amps and Bluray players, I am of the understanding that it needs to be a network player/Amp where in an ip address for each equipment needs to be linked and connected to the requisite scenes. I am not completely conversant with this aspect yet. Hopefully June will bring about more of an enlightenment.

With regard to the AC, you will need a single Fibaro relay of 3KW. You will only be able to switch the AC unit on and off, remaining controls will have to be done via the AC remote. While there is a provision to control the temperature setting via the Fibaro App it involves using an IR blaster or tinkering with the AC control on the indoor unit.

Lastly with regard to the budget, dimming modules 6 @5000ea, 1 single relay @4000 approx and the HC lite(not sure on the price) may push the budget a little above 50k. Suggest reducing the number of switches and merging them to reduce the number of dimmer modules if feasible, that will keep costs a little down.

Rgds
Zimbly

May many thanks Zimbly for the reply.

OK can you help me choose what exactly to order ..... you said for 6 switches 3 relays.
I have couple of them on ebay, I am a bit confused can you assist, which one are you using, iff you can share the URL

This is 223

1. FIBARO - Double Switch 2, 2x1,5kw, FGS-223, Z-Wave Plus Relay | eBay

This is 213

2. FIBARO - Single Switch 2, 1x2,5kw, FGS-213, Z-Wave Plus Relay | eBay

Both says 2X1 (or 1x2, whats the diff??), 5 KW ..??? so which one to go for???

For the dimmer, I have below on eBay ...

FIBARO - Z-Wave Plus Universal Dimmer 2 250W, FGD-212 | eBay

Is the above correct shall I order.

for the gateway, HC Lite is what i am planning to go for, hope these is not much of a difference between Lite and HC 2

Fibaro Home Center Lite / Z-Wave Gateway

Your assistance in this is highly appreciated...... please be with me until I finish the implementation.. :)

Regards
Sammy

Last edited:
Hey Sam,

You are welcome. Glad to help out.
Will break up the items to order depending on your requirements.

Option 1 - No dimming
in this case you will have to order the following
FGS 223 - Double Switch - 3pcs( each switch controls 2 light switches)
FGS 213 - Single Switch - 1pc(For AC on / off)
HC Lite

Option 2 : Dimming of Lights
FGD 212 - Universal Dimmer - 6 Nos (Dimming works from 0 to 100%, alternately it can be set to operate from say off and then on at 20%-90%(you can vary the min and max dimming basis you requirement, or to circumvent any flickering of LED lights). No need for ordering relays, as the dimmer unit will do the needful
HC Lite

Difference between HC2 and HC Lite... check out this link SmartHome - SmartHome Blog - Fibaro Home Center Comparison

In addition to the above if you are going with LED lights, u may need to order a Dimmer bypass 2 .... APNT-115 - Using Fibaro Dimmer 2 with LED Lights | Vesternet

For complete AC Control including temp setting from Fibaro, one option is as listed in the Link...https://smarterhome.sk/en/blog/how-to-control-your-air-conditioning-wirelessly-via-z-wave_5.html I have not tried this out yet as the AC integration is still pending at my place. Hopefully by Jul I will be better placed to provide a more concrete suggestion.

Let me know if any more queries.

Cheers
Zimbly

Hey Sam,

You are welcome. Glad to help out.
Will break up the items to order depending on your requirements.

Option 1 - No dimming
in this case you will have to order the following
FGS 223 - Double Switch - 3pcs( each switch controls 2 light switches)
HC Lite

Option 2 : Dimming of Lights
FGD 212 - Universal Dimmer - 6 Nos (Dimming works from 0 to 100%, alternately it can be set to operate from say off and then on at 20%-90%(you can vary the min and max dimming basis you requirement, or to circumvent any flickering of LED lights). No need for ordering relays, as the dimmer unit will do the needful
HC Lite

Difference between HC2 and HC Lite... check out this link SmartHome - SmartHome Blog - Fibaro Home Center Comparison

In addition to the above if you are going with LED lights, u may need to order a Dimmer bypass 2 .... APNT-115 - Using Fibaro Dimmer 2 with LED Lights | Vesternet

For complete AC Control including temp setting from Fibaro, one option is as listed in the Link...https://smarterhome.sk/en/blog/how-to-control-your-air-conditioning-wirelessly-via-z-wave_5.html I have not tried this out yet as the AC integration is still pending at my place. Hopefully by Jul I will be better placed to provide a more concrete suggestion.

Let me know if any more queries.

Cheers
Zimbly

ULTIMATE, I cannot thank you enough, for such a detailed and up to point reply. I will go through all the links you and provided.

One question you said that there is no need to go for regular relay for on and off since the dimmer will take care of this as well, so I am assuming that if I only connect dimmer I can switch off the light as well (like usual switch, instant) not going through the dimming procedure ( hope you understand what I am saying, I might sound stupid ..:D ) ....

If the answer is yes I should only order dimmers for my HT lights and not the regular double relay switch right??,, except one single relay for AC, that anyhow needs to be ordered ....

One question you said that there is no need to go for regular relay for on and off since the dimmer will take care of this as well, so I am assuming that if I only connect dimmer I can switch off the light as well (like usual switch, instant) not going through the dimming procedure ( hope you understand what I am saying, I might sound stupid ..:D ) ....

If the answer is yes I should only order dimmers for my HT lights and not the regular double relay switch right??,, except one single relay for AC, that anyhow needs to be ordered ....

Absolutely correct, the dimmer will do the job of the switch and dimming function. So u need only the fibaro dimmer modules - 6nos.

Cheers
Zimbly

Ok below is the snap of LED lights I will be using ...

Ceiling

wv63cm.jpg

2pphsw6.jpg

WALL

9fqivc.jpg

These are normal LED lights, would they need dimmer bypass 2.. ??????

Apart from this, any other light I will be using will be the casual LED light that you purchase from the market.

And again can't thank you enough for all your insight on this ... :)

Last edited:
Ok below is the snap of LED lights I will be using ...

These are normal LED lights, would they need dimmer bypass 2.. ??????

Apart from this, any other light I will be using will be the casual LED light that you purchase from the market.

And again can't thank you enough for all your insight on this ... :)

No thanks needed Sam, fortunately I had finished researching on this topic for my own place, so glad to be of help. If you had posted this 6 months back, I would have been a spectator waiting for someone to chime in;)

Now with regard to the Dimmer Bypass 2, you will need to install this only if the total load on any one Fibaro dimmer module(FGD212) falls below 25W(Assuming a Power factor of 0.5 for LED Light and operational range of the Dimmer module being 50-200VA corresponds to 25W-100W). So for eg. u are using 3 x 8W LEDs on one switch you may need a dimmer bypass as the total load is 24W. But it will have to be trial and error method of determining if the dimmer bypass is actually required. The max load on any one dimmer module for the total number of lights installed on it should not ideally exceed 100W.

Seeing the lights you have installed, do check if these LED lights have dimmable drivers. Normally most LED lights come with regular drivers and these will not work with the Fibaro Dimmable module as they are only on and off drivers. You will need Dimmable drivers made for each of the LEDs you have installed for the dimming function to work(Check Local Light market for fabrication of dimmable driver for each model of LED light that you have). One light that comes with a built in Dimmable driver is the Corvi 5W LED COB(475/- a piece). I havent come accross any other brand with a built in dimmable driver in the VFM segment of lights. Osram has a couple of COBS with built in Dimmable drivers, but pricing goes above 2.7K for each light.
Sent you a PM.

Cheers
Zimbly

^^ Damm this is getting complicated day by day.:(.. now how am I going to get those dimmable drivers, Lights I already have purchased, so now there is no question of getting new ones with dimmable drivers.

Looks like have to go shopping again .. ..... ok this is going to take some time, will report back...

^^ Damm this is getting complicated day by day.:(.. now how am I going to get those dimmable drivers, Lights I already have purchased, so now there is no question of getting new ones with dimmable drivers.

Looks like have to go shopping again .. ..... ok this is going to take some time, will report back...

You dont need to buy new lights. You just need to buy dimmable drivers compatible with your fixtures. Let me know if you need help regarding those. Also, if you need any support on Fibaro - I can help you with those.

^^ I am in both boats, I need dimmable drivers for my existing lights AND I am supposed to purchase new lights for my friend's installation I am doing, so would need lights with dimmable drivers ...

Tomorrow I am again doing a market visit to get the new lights and dimmable drivers for my existing lights, lets see how it goes. Previous two visits were a failure........

For Fibaro, for now the only information I need is if I am OK to order the gateway and drivers from the ebay link I shared on the first page. Will they work in India. Rest assistance I might need when I actually have the products and would try to set it up.

Hi Sam...

In past I had come across a post by @superczar

He has done a lot of automation for his home theater setup. He has a YouTube video too (I would find the link and share it later.)

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

I am using Samsung Smartthings v2 kit, basically as a home monitoring system. And it has good integration with my Logitech Home Companion remote, LIFX bulbs, Philips Hue system.

Take a look at Smartthings supported products from Aeon labs too.

Update ::: Looks like my lights (since Chinese) cannot support dimmable drivers(atleast that's what the vendor told me) as for the new lights for my friends HT, I have purchased the lights and the vendor connected me with the person who will make dimmable drivers for the makes I have purchased. Next week, I should get the drivers and then will test them.

Update ::: Looks like my lights (since Chinese) cannot support dimmable drivers(atleast that's what the vendor told me) as for the new lights for my friends HT, I have purchased the lights and the vendor connected me with the person who will make dimmable drivers for the makes I have purchased. Next week, I should get the drivers and then will test them.

hi sam

Any updates on acquiring dimmable drivers make and price.

Thanks
rajesh

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back