Home Theater Setup Query (Budget 30-35K)

sabret00the

Hi Experts,

Really need some help here with the following:-
  1. Wall-mounting my Philips 40PFL4758/V7 FHD TV
  2. Deciding on a good AVR + 5.1 Speakers
  3. Configuring devices to the AVR

Wall-mounting my Philips 40PFL4758/V7 FHD TV

The size of the living room is about 30' x 12' roughly and I'm going to place the TV in the area highlighted in Red Circle in the attached pic below.
Currently the TV is sitting on a trolley but I plan to wall mount it. There is a sofa on the other side of the room and the viewing distance is roughly about 10 from the TV. What should be the best mounting height of the TV from the floor up?

Deciding on a good AVR + 5.1 Speakers

I wanted to buy a big screen FHD TV with great picture quality for the lowest price possible. Between the Toshiba and the Philips, went with Philips due to brand loyalty and this looks very neat due to the narrow bezel and black colour. Besides got a sweet deal with Croma, Sarjapur Road hence picked it up eventually.

The speakers on this TV are crap. Not only that. There are other challenges as well. There is no Optical Audio Output from the TV and the 2 HDMI In ports do not support ARC feature. There is only Stereo RCA Output options from the TV.

Therefore, I realize I need to identify a very good AVR which comes with atleast 3 HDMI input and 1 HDMI output ports.
It should also have atleast 1 USB port to connect and play movies from pen drives or hard drives.

My wife & I will watch 60% TV (including music/movies, etc), 25% movies from DVD or USB and 15% music from DVD or USB.
I will not any gaming console. 3D is not a requirement.

For now I would be happy to invest in a good 5.1/7.1 AVR + Sub + Center speakers + 2 front channels (preferably towers). I will add the side/rear channels later.

I have a tight budget of 30-35K. Please help me choose the right setup?

Configuring devices to the AVR

I will connect the HDTV, a TATA Sky HD STB and maybe a primitive Samsung DVD player (DVD-P248A) to the AVR. Don't plan to buy a Blue-ray player as of now.

I plan to connect all the devices in the following manner.

HDMI_Connections_table1.png

Will the above setup work?

I'm trying my best to read and make sense of everything that I'm reading. I know there are too many questions I'm asking above but any advice will be appreciated.

Attachments

• Living Room.jpg
    Living Room.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20140813_022043127.jpg
    IMG_20140813_022043127.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
With a budget of 30-35K, you will only be able to afford a home theatre in box. Try Onkyo and Yamaha. Pioneer has some HTiB within your budget with fs speakers, but quality is not really good. Going for separates (i.e. buying avr and all speakers separately) will increase your budget many times.

Even a entry level avr will be 20-25K and front speakers will be 12-15K and then for movies you will definitely need a centre which will be around 8-10K at least.

By the way, what is the current music system that is visible in the pic beside the tv? I am using the speakers of my old music system as my rear speakers and the output is satisfactory.

I personally own Yamaha YHT-299 HTiB which I bought for 37K (with a free Philips blueray player) which I mainly use with Tatasky Plus HD, and occasionally for music.

I had heard a lot about Onkyo HTS3500 but the bass was pretty flat, when I demoed it in Reliance Digital, even with the Double Bass. I am not a geek in HTiB, so whatever I heard is what I relied on to make the decision.

Some other HTiB that I had demoed:
Pioneer HTP323, Yamaha 196 (all are in the 30-35K range, if available)

You may get a lot of recommendations, but I would suggest to personally demo and finalize the one which you like the best.

Hi,

If you can extend your budget more you can pick up Pioneer VSX 323 and Jamo S426HCS3, Since you are looking for floor standers.

I was thinking to get a floor stander, As per my research Polk TSx330T is the least one ( in terms of price - 27K Pair). Polk is always good IMO.

You can audition more systems to understand more and find more options.

Lets wait for more suggestions from FM's on this :)

By the way, what is the current music system that is visible in the pic beside the tv? I am using the speakers of my old music system as my rear speakers and the output is satisfactory.

It's a 2001 Sony MHC GX2000 Mini Hifi. It dosen't work anymore. I'd be happy to find someone knowledgeable who can fix it in Bangalore?

PGY had suggested the below link. You may find it helpful.

http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/52450-confused-buy-ht.html

Hi,

If you can extend your budget more you can pick up Pioneer VSX 323 and Jamo S426HCS3, Since you are looking for floor standers.

I was thinking to get a floor stander, As per my research Polk TSx330T is the least one ( in terms of price - 27K Pair). Polk is always good IMO.

You can audition more systems to understand more and find more options.

Lets wait for more suggestions from FM's on this :)

So my options looks limited apart from Yamaha YHT-299 at the moment. I think the AVR is fine but the front speakers are tiny.

Let me check if I can find some deals in Bangalore. Maybe some out going stock from last year's versions going cheap.

Also, the following setup - will this work without ARC?

I will connect the HDTV, a TATA Sky HD STB and maybe a primitive Samsung DVD player (DVD-P248A) to the AVR.

It's a 2001 Sony MHC GX2000 Mini Hifi. It dosen't work anymore. I'd be happy to find someone knowledgeable who can fix it in Bangalore?

So my options looks limited apart from Yamaha YHT-299 at the moment. I think the AVR is fine but the front speakers are tiny.

Let me check if I can find some deals in Bangalore. Maybe some out going stock from last year's versions going cheap.

Also, the following setup - will this work without ARC?

I will connect the HDTV, a TATA Sky HD STB and maybe a primitive Samsung DVD player (DVD-P248A) to the AVR.

sabret00the,

Almost all the YHT-299 Users are happy with the quality. I am also using YHT-299, IMO its good in the budget(30-40K). You can audition onkyo 3500 and go as per your taste.

Regarding the setup, I dont think it will be a problem, Since

Setup Box > AVR > TV - Doesn't need an ARC.
Blu-ray Player > AVR > TV - Doesn't need an ARC.

The only possibility where you may have problem is, if you play some quality DTS(& other) audio or video from your USB in the TV.

You can take RCA output from the TV and connect it in AVR input and you can choose 5.1 or your desired type sound options in the AVR.

FM's Correct me if am wrong somewhere :)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back