Home Theater Speaker Upgrade-Need Suggestion

Krishroy2004

Hi all,
First of all its great to be a member of this forum, I am learning lots of new information that I was unaware.
Thanks to all of you.

I need your valuable suggestion on below, as I am not able to decide.
Currently I have a Sony HTB (BDV E3100), its good for Movies but I am not satisfied with Music. Specially with high frequency.
I am using this for last 3 years and now I have planned for an upgrade.:yahoo: I dont have unlimited budget so I have decided to upgrade it step by step.
I want to upgrade the speakers first then buy a new AVR with Dolby Atmos or DTS X later as budget permits.
Need to know few things before I buy, dont want to follow the same mistake I have done earlier.:sad:
Sony HTB has below configuration:-
POWER OUTPUT (rated)
Front L/Front R:
75 W + 75 W (at 3 ohms, 1 kHz, 1% THD)

POWER OUTPUT (reference)
Front L/Front R/Surround L/Surround R: 125 W (per channel at 3 ohms, 1 kHz)
Center: 250 W (at 6 ohms, 1 kHz)
Subwoofer: 250 W (at 6 ohms, 80 Hz)

1. If I buy TAGA Harmony TAV-606 V3 Speaker Package will it be compatible with my current HTB?
2. Taga have 6 ohms impedance and Sony has 3 ohms. Will this work?
3. If I buy Boston Acoustics A 26 for front L+R now and buy other speakers later, will this be better than Taga package?
4. A 26 have 8 ohms impedance and Sony has 3 ohms. Will this work?
5. A 26 & TAV -606 V3 which is better balanced for Movies and Music? (50+50)
6. If I change Sony satellite speakers with above mention speakers how much sound will improve?

Sony has max volume 33, If I play Blu-Ray disc, volume 22 (67%) is enough to fill my room. If I upgrade with 6 ohms or 8 ohms speaker how much volume will drop?
I am not able to buy a new AVR right now so whatever you suggest should work with my current HTB, and when I buy a new AVR the speakers should work with that also.

Thanks in advance

With my limited knowledge, the present HTiB may not be up-gradable. Driving a 6 ohms speaker on 3 ohms Sony is a No-No. I think the some of the gurus can throw more light on it.
AVR + 5.1/7.1 Speaker setup is altogether a different league. I suggest you stick with the HTiB for some more time and try to source more money and go for a decent AVR and front speakers. Later you can include a center channel and later a sub and surrounds.
Until then I would suggest to audition as much as possible, find out what pleases you, keep listing the ones that you like.
Also read as many threads as possible in this forum as there is a loads of information and educate yourself.
If your more into music than movies, then you should also look at Stereo Amp 2.0 setup which is again a different league from AVR + 5.1 setup.
Do not hurry, patience is the key. All the best!!!

Sony HTB (BDV E3100) driving above listed speakers is definitely NO. I doubt it would even push the speakers to audible levels forget about the details / leveraging the capabilities of A 26 & TAV-606 V3.

If your very keen only on music improvement, then i will suggest start with something like basic FX audio XL-2.1BL paired up with Boston Acoustics A 26 / any budget bookshelf / pre-owned speakers. Then slowly when budget permits move ahead with upgrades.

Cheers,
Binu AP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LG 42" Plasma | Marantz PM6005 | AJ FS52 | Velodyne Impact 10 | Panasonic dmp bdt220

@sanloyn
@apbinu

Thanks for your input, Got it.

Just tell me one thing, if I run a 8 ohms or a 6 ohms speakers in 3 ohms HTB is there a chance to blow up the HTB?

I have a local brand 8 ohms small speaker set, should I try with it?

I am not in hurry, but want to improve my Music/Movie experience with current HTB by replacing at least front L+R. This will buy more time for me to upgrade.
Is it possible any how?

Just tell me one thing, if I run a 8 ohms or a 6 ohms speakers in 3 ohms HTB is there a chance to blow up the HTB?

I have a local brand 8 ohms small speaker set, should I try with it?

The HTiB wont have enough power to drive the 8 ohms speaker that's it, hence you wont have a enhanced experience.

I am not in hurry, but want to improve my Music/Movie experience with current HTB by replacing at least front L+R. This will buy more time for me to upgrade.
Is it possible any how?
I am afraid you will not be able to better the SQ with this approach, infact this is the setback of HTiB.

Another point you would want to consider is that there are not many options to control XO, or set gain level in the Sony HT.
You might also end up blowing your speakers if you do not set the XO properly. Not sure whether you have an option to set crossovers, mostly likely or in most cases they do not provide provide crossover options in the Sony HT.

What do you mean by control XO....

No it doesn't have an option to set crossovers.:sad:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back