Home Theater Specification

uneet

Hello friends,

As advised my other member in the group Iam posing a new thread for query.

I have a requirement for Home theater for my new house. This room is a L shaped room with total area of around 500 sq ft.

I have short listed the below specification. Pls advise comments.

I went to Bass & Treble showroom in Delhi and have shortlisted the following:

1. AVR -- YAMAHA 685

2. Front Speaker - Monitor 200

3. Centre Speaker - Monitor Centre

4. Surround Speaker - Focal Bird Surround

5. Velodyne subwoofer

6. Projector - Benq TK-800

7. Motorised Screen 120"

Pls advise on this combination.

Uneet

Hello friends,

I have a requirement for Home theater for my new house. This room is a L shaped room with total area of around 500 sq ft.

1. AVR -- YAMAHA 685

5. Velodyne subwoofer

7. Motorised Screen 120"

Uneet
What is you budget?
Is this a dedicated HT room?

Hi.
Since you have an L shaped room, can you partition it in to two for a home theater room and a music listening room? (Not only you will get two rectangular rooms which is acoustically better than an L shaped room but also two rooms for different purposes)
Heard that tk-800 produces high lumens and it has rgbw color wheel. You might see rainbow effects. Instead prefer w1700. Also, please have a demo of 4k and 1080p projectors so that you can decide if 4k is a deal breaker for you. Besides, older w1110 1080p can produce better contrast compared to w1700 4k owing to bigger dmd. If 1080p is okay for you, you can get a better 1080p projector like Sony 45es for a similar price of w1700. Please consider the lamp cost of Sony and it's panel degradation if it exists.

Since one of the two rooms will be a dedicated home theater room, you can go with acoustically transparent screen with LCR speakers saving good sum of money. You can additionally purchase a better 2.0 setup for your music room. Besides, LCR and Acoustically Transparent screen with speakers behind it will make movie experience better.
Last but not the least, please spend required amount for acoustics and a low noise air-conditioning unit.

Sorry, if I have confused you but just wanted to share what else could be done with the data you have provided.

Last edited:
Hi.
Since you have an L shaped room, can you partition it in to two for a home theater room and a music listening room? (Not only you will get two rectangular rooms which is acoustically better than an L shaped room but also two rooms for different purposes)
Heard that tk-800 produces high lumens and it has rgbw color wheel. You might see rainbow effects. Instead prefer w1700. Also, please have a demo of 4k and 1080p projectors so that you can decide if 4k is a deal breaker for you. Besides, older w1110 1080p can produce better contrast compared to w1700 4k owing to bigger dmd. If 1080p is okay for you, you can get a better 1080p projector like Sony 45es for a similar price of w1700. Please consider the lamp cost of Sony and it's panel degradation if it exists.

Since one of the two rooms will be a dedicated home theater room, you can go with acoustically transparent screen with LCR speakers saving good sum of money. You can additionally purchase a better 2.0 setup for your music room. Besides, LCR and Acoustically Transparent screen with speakers behind it will make movie experience better.
Last but not the least, please spend required amount for acoustics and a low noise air-conditioning unit.

Sorry, if I have confused you but just wanted to share what else could be done with the data you have provided.
Hello,

Its not possible to divide this room into two parts. This is actually a multi purpose room and not a media room.
This will also have a pool table and lounge sitting to relax (No recliners)

I will check on 1080p projectors instead of 4k but I chose 4k keeping in mind that technology will change very fast in future so its always good to buy an updated thing to be able to last long.
Also to enhance the aesthetics of the room we have the provision of ductable AC unit which will give a very clean look to the room.

Look forward to your opinion.

Uneet

Hello,

Its not possible to divide this room into two parts. This is actually a multi purpose room and not a media room.
This will also have a pool table and lounge sitting to relax (No recliners)

I will check on 1080p projectors instead of 4k but I chose 4k keeping in mind that technology will change very fast in future so its always good to buy an updated thing to be able to last long.
Also to enhance the aesthetics of the room we have the provision of ductable AC unit which will give a very clean look to the room.

Look forward to your opinion.

Uneet
If I'm not wrong, 4k today is half baked. Please take a demo and finalize. Also tell your ac installer specifically that the unit must be very quiet. All the best.

Hello friends,

1. AVR -- YAMAHA 685

5. Velodyne subwoofer

7. Motorised Screen 120"

Uneet

YAMAHA 685 is not a bad choice ,but seems to be little weak in power to handle the speakers you have selected.
You may look at marantz , Denon a/v receiver with 120 to150 watts @ 8 ohms RMS channel output. Also make sure it has preout , so you can add power amplifier later if required.

Speaker selection looks good , Hope you have auditioned them and decided. Make sure all speakers are same watts power (Front/Center/surround) so you will have balanced & good sound stage.

Velodyne -- Go with one 12 " sub , or two 10" subs.
Motorised Screen 120" -- as per my past experience , motorized screens are with some issues , either it stopped working after sometime , or screen gets tearing or wearing issue. Better go with fixed screen if you have dedicated HT room.

YAMAHA 685 is not a bad choice ,but seems to be little weak in power to handle the speakers you have selected.
You may look at marantz , Denon a/v receiver with 120 to150 watts @ 8 ohms RMS channel output. Also make sure it has preout , so you can add power amplifier later if required.

Speaker selection looks good , Hope you have auditioned them and decided. Make sure all speakers are same watts power (Front/Center/surround) so you will have balanced & good sound stage.

Velodyne -- Go with one 12 " sub , or two 10" subs.
Motorised Screen 120" -- as per my past experience , motorized screens are with some issues , either it stopped working after sometime , or screen gets tearing or wearing issue. Better go with fixed screen if you have dedicated HT room.
As advised by you I will check on the Denon AVR. My dealer was not recommending Marantz due to service issue.

Also he is recommending me to change the Focal Bird Surround speakers to Peiga ceiling speakers. He is suggesting me to go for 7.1 due to large space and therefore should have 4 ceiling speakers.

Regarding Sub, will check and confirm.

Now i have requested him for a demo for these specifications.

As its not a dedicated media room I would need a motorised screen keeping the aesthetics of the room.

Regards

No its not a dedicated room. My budget is 4L fo all thee equipment.

If you have a long room layout, then consider a more capable 7.1.4 AVR, Marantz SR 6013 / Deon x 4500/ Onkyo TX RZ 730 / Pioneer LX 503.. Yamaha 7.1.4 AVR might be expensive..

5. Velodyne subwoofer

Good to have dual subs in the room, to address low freq issue..

If you have a long room layout, then consider a more capable 7.1.4 AVR, Marantz SR 6013 / Deon x 4500/ Onkyo TX RZ 730 / Pioneer LX 503.. Yamaha 7.1.4 AVR might be expensive..

How about Marantz NR1609 in the slim series. I don't know the specifications but I liked the look.

Dual sub would increase my budget. Need to be under 4L for sure.

How about Marantz NR1609 in the slim series. I don't know the specifications but I liked the look.

Marantz NR 1609 is almost a similar offering as Yamaha 685, 5.1.2 capable AVR, but in a slim package.. But in your budget, a 9.2 AVR with 11.2 pre-outs to complete a 7.1.4 layout is possible..

Dual sub would increase my budget. Need to be under 4L for sure.

Try to adjust budget for other speakers and accommodate dual subs.. Do real on the benefits on dual subs..

Given the long room, I agree with your AVR suggestions. You can take a look at FM @Vivek Batra 's gears if you are okay with used stuff.

Hello

Just saw the messages today.

I have finalised my setup yesterday night. Thank you all for your responses.

For projector I was advised against TK-800 in this forum but I still sticked to it as mine is not a date media room so duding day light I may need that extra brightness.

1. AVR -- YAMAHA 585

5. Velodyne subwoofer

7. Motorised Screen 120"

Now Iam looking forward to the cricket world cup and Tennis Grand slams on the big screen besides movie watching.

Hello

Just saw the messages today.

I have finalised my setup yesterday night. Thank you all for your responses.

For projector I was advised against TK-800 in this forum but I still sticked to it as mine is not a date media room so duding day light I may need that extra brightness.

1. AVR -- YAMAHA 585

5. Velodyne subwoofer

7. Motorised Screen 120"

Now Iam looking forward to the cricket world cup and Tennis Grand slams on the big screen besides movie watching.
Good luck. Enjoy

Further to my query kindly urgently suggest me be the better 4k projector, benq tk800 or optima uhd 50 (or if anyone wants to suggest anything else)

I want to be in this price segment only. Mine is not a complete dark media room as its a lounge room though we will have the curtains and blinds to cover the lights.

Pls advise.

Hello Friends.

My setup should be complete in next week.

Just wanted to know about Online UPS.
Is it essential to go for UPS?
Which brand is a good option?

I need 2 kva.

Pls help with some options.

Online UPS is better if you have frequent power cuts and change over to UPS. Go for one which has capabilities to maintain the voltage and frequency.

Online UPS is better if you have frequent power cuts and change over to UPS. Go for one which has capabilities to maintain the voltage and frequency.
Hi Arun,

Though the power cuts are not frequent but I have been advised by my team to install one for the safety of expensive equipments.

I have been advised for Eaton which is working out quite costly.
Any other good options available?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back