Home Theater Suggestion Needed

nishantkil

Hi Guys i am new to this forum but have read quite a few threads on HMs.

My Budget is around 100k including AVR.

I have tried ONKYO, TRIANGLE, KLIPSH, QUADRAL and BOSE.

I liked sounds of Onkyo and Bose. Klipsh and Quadral (FX Ent.) were way out of my budget but still i tried them so as to compare better in low budget ones. I am no expert in it..but i found them really unworthy of the reputation they have online or maybe its just about taste.

Bose
Cinemate 520

Coming to Bose i have experienced them often and always liked them but what i see is that people just love to hate them. Maybe its the price or their Quality which is at fault. Although i too get suspicious when they only allow me to experience their own demos and no outside media is allowed. Weird :annoyed:

Onkyo -
SKF 4800 front-
SKS 4800 center and rear-
SKW 208 Sub-
TXnr-636 AV-
Ceiling Dolby Atmos

It was really a powerful system. I Loved Dolby Atmos and System felt better than the best theaters in delhi. Demo room was setup according to the acoustics. I saw several demos with and without dolby atmos and it certainly sounded way better with it.
Cost of the above system was approx 1.2L without negotiation.

This is my first HT and i am a Novice in this field. I have space of 14x12 ft of which right side of the room is totally covered by a Glass Window. Left side has a door. Front and back are plain white walls.

On the Front wall i want a Furniture Unit which can Support my Screen , speakers , Avr and Sub.

I am looking for a really comfortable Fabric L shaped sofa covering my back wall and a small table in front of it and a carpet below.

Now for the HT system i am really confused as to what should i get. These systems are really expensive and i want to get something which sounds brilliant and lasts a lifetime. It gets more confusing when dealers of top brands like Klipsh, onkyo and Jamo tell me that their speakers might crash if we use them at high volumes often. i mean u dont expect this from a 2Lakh system or even 1Lakh. Its because i have never purchased a music system costing more than 5k in my life. Last i got creative speakers for 5k which gets distorted at high volumes all the time. But certainly i will have to drop my dream if this is the case with branded ones too. I can spend this much only once.

I urge all experts to share their opinion and experience on this. Please tell me if this isn't the case.

Now from what i have learnt from this forum is that AVRs are really important for good sound..which i din't know earlier. After several demos i can say that i am not qualified to choose one as it is really difficult. I mean for me to choose an AVR alone, it would be based entirely on luck.
As per online reviews Denon, Marantz, Onkyo and Yamaha are good ones.

Speakers used to be all that mattered to me earlier. So i have shorlisted Wharfdale also based upon reviews by online community.
I am looking forward to its demo in gurgaon but they only have two models for demo i.e Diamond 122 bookshelf & Diamond 230 floorstanding ones.
So please let me know if anyone has ever heard them.

I want my HT to be minimalistic types (for closest idea plz see attached pic). I listen to all kinds of music like pop, rock and ghazals too. i love movies too. its more like 50/50.

I want to borrow your expertise on everything from you guys to help me setup my first HT. Any kind of help will be hugely beneficial to me and appreciated. Please point me to the right direction. Thankssss:)

Attachments

• 58600.jpg
    58600.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 172
Hi Nishan ,
You are having a good budget ,hence take many demos with different combination of AVR & speakers and choose the best based n ur hearing taste..

Coming to the room ,I think the right side glass window will be problem for the acoustics of the room ,(some time there are chances that the glass can break).pl.check

Thankss for reply rajithkumar
I guess only demos can solve my problem and Ya glass window is a downside.

Hey anyone using wharfdale here ?

Hi Nishant,
To start you have good budget, and room dimensions are also not bad for FS......
You can audition few more brands of speakers with different AVR's, same speakers may sound different with different AVR.
With this budget i will suggest you spending 50K for FS, 15K for CC, 40K for AVR can add subwoofer and surround later. And if u have any old speakers can use them as surround, I am telling u they are definitely worth it.
About the window issue you can cover the window with some thick curtains while u r running your HT.

Dont skimp out the Fs. Use old speakers/cheap temporary ones for surrounds if needed. Since you listen to music also and the setup is not exclusively for movies good quality FS will be key for a good 2.0 stereo experience. Add on quality surrounds when you have the budget. Subwoofer upto you again if you can wait to add a really good one later probably better than trying to squeeze into existing budget.

Hi,

I'm using Wharfedale 121s paired with Yamaha RXV-375, Wharfedale CS 9, DFS 10 surrounds and SW-150. Feel free to ping.

Welcome to HFV buddy..

Handling HT set up for the first time is lil confusing & more exciting too as it is hard to distinguish the difference between products... Perfectly fine...

It is not abt how expensive your system is, itz abt how much you love your system & enjoy them :eek:hyeah:

So your budget is 1 lac, 50:50 movie, music pattern & 14 x 12 room...

Pick the brand of AVR that offers more features that you are looking for.. Since Atmos is what you are looking for, so 7.2 AVR is what it is..

Stick to book shelf speakers and build a HT system around that...Am not sure if they will last you a lifetime, but at-least for a decade (or) lil more time than that since AVR with improved features are aval every year...

Welcome to HiFi,
As pointed by experts, Please put in some effort & time & try to audition as many speaker brands & AVR combos as possible. You have a good budget, so use it intelligently.
Purchase a good Yamaha , Marantz AVR ( Yamaha 667 & Marantz 5008/9 are good) & along with it buy a pair of good bookshelf speakers. With bookshelf speakers , you can have stands to mount them or they can be wall mounted ( only some). Hook it up & listen to everything for a month or two. Then you buy a centre channel of the same speaker series as the fronts. Same goes for surrounds too. the subwoofer can be purchased last .
Also , for the source you would require a blueray player & a HD DTH box both connected with HDMI to your AVR. Do spend wisely on a good speaker wire (14 awg) would do. As for your glass window , there is some silicon treatment done, not sure exactly. Also, use a thick curtain over the same & have fun. This is how I assembled my system. You can also get everything in one go if you wish. Keep us updated. Cheers

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back