Home theater system for HDTV (Panasonic SC-XH155)

rmahore

Hi,

Thanks in advance for your review and response.

I am planning to purchase a home theater inbox system for my panasonic 42' plasma tv (x30d).

I searched and found so many HTiB but most of the quality system are not in my budget so I found the Panasonic SC-XH155 is in my budget but I really suspect the sound quality of this system due to this system speaker THD level (i.e. 1kHz, 3ohms, 10% THD). I went to the showroom and I found its OK but I really wants all your opinion on this. My basic requirements:

Room size 10 by 20 ft and 10 ft height ( this room has 6 doors for various attaching room)
60% time I listen music and 40% (on weekend) I watched downloaded movies.
I need clear sound of each instrument in low volume while listening music and good bass for movies

Kindly suggest me. I can also purchase individual speaker for TV if its fulfill my requirement. My budget is maximum 20k INR.

Thanks in Advance,

Raju

ALL HTiB's from branded manufacturer ar not worthy of the price they are asking for. 20k is a good amount of sum. If you are not in a hurry I would suggest you to wait for sometime, save lil bit more and go for onkyo/denon/yamaha base model which are leaps and bounds ahead of these lot. Also along with that you will get a proper AVR.

I got Xh170 free with my TV last month. Its okish with sound and lows are not good. Its absolutely suitable for a "Jugaad" HT arrangement but not to be treated as final setup.

at low budget

yamaha 196 htib

a int amp and 2 bookshelves from norge/sonodyne/wharfedale.......

best optiopns......stay away from toiy home theaters from panasonic,samsung,lg,sony whatever.....

if can increase budget buy onkyo 3400 at 24k..........

Thanks for all your reply. I finally selected Yamaha YHT-196 which is in my budget.

Please suggest if this will work with my panasonic plasma properly.

I am planning to buy this on Dushera.

Thanks again,
Raju

whats the price you are getting for the yamaha YHT-196.

I checked in local store and price is 20990 INR.

Were you able to audtion both the yamaha and the onkyo 3400 ? :)

Yes, I auditioned both YHT-196 and Onkyo-3400. Both are good but YHT-196 is in my budget although it has less connectivity options and features compare to Onkyo-3400. Onkyo price is 27k INR.

And I think Yamaha is much durable than Onkyo (As told by the shop owner).

Please let me know anything important which may change my mind from Yamaha to Onkyo for these models.

Thanks,
Raju

Also check whether the yamaha 196 supports the bluray HD audio.

I am not sure about this, but I searched and found that it doesn't support true Doubly or DTS sound but I think normal Doubly and DTS is good in this budget.

Please suggest if this make sense.

Thanks,
Raju

Will come as a problem ,if, in future you buy a blu-ray player and plays blu-ray films in it.
OR downloads a content in HD audio and want to play it in ur htib. :)

Will come as a problem ,if, in future you buy a blu-ray player and plays blu-ray films in it.
OR downloads a content in HD audio and want to play it in ur htib. :)

You are right. And right now I already have HD and blu-ray films.

Kindly tell me if I play these downloaded movies in this setup (YHT-196) and in advance setup (i.e. YHT-296) which has true HD then how much difference I will notice?

Thanks in advance,
Raju

not a problem as the hd audio will be already decoded by the br player and will be sent as pcm into your yamaha 196.....
also
downloded contents are maximum with dts only....dts hd mas are too large...

yes you wont see the dts hd ma glowing in your avr....
so at 21k its a good deal..but burgain for at least 2-3k more less....
and onkyo 3400 27k is a high price....24k is okay....

BTW can you please give a comparison between the Onkyo and Yamaha HTiBs, like how they sounded to you., so that others can get the benefit out of it. :)

BTW can you please give a comparison between the Onkyo and Yamaha HTiBs, like how they sounded to you., so that others can get the benefit out of it. :)

Sure!

I listened both of them in couple of locations. There was a difference in setup when I listen the Onkyo. They have dedicated room for this device and setup so voice was comparably good over Yamaha. I listened Yamaha in a big mall room so the experience was good but it was missing the wow factor may be due to very big hall and there were so many other HTiB and HDTV also running at the same time.

But there was one major difference I found was that, Onkyo system was not performing well on high volume (high bass) and speaker were just not audible to me but Yamaha was comparably good on low and high volume.

On both the location I didn't get the dedicate room for Yamaha so I can't tell how this will perform in home environment.

I also found that panasonic sc-xh155 is also good, I listened in their dedicate HT room and it also impressed me.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back