Home Theatre advise on a Budget

Sunvamp

Hi Guys,

I have a dedicated home theatre (20ftx16ft) and was considering one of the below options for it and would like your recommendations/Suggestions

Option 1:
Marantz 6013 AV receiver or Pionner VSX LX 303 (both 9.2ch)
Mission MX 3 Towers
MIssion MX C1(Center)
Mission MX 1 (Surround)
Taga Harmony TSW 120 (Subwoofer)
Taga Harmony 280R (Ceiling)

Option 2:
Marantz 6013 AV receiver
Boston A360 Towers
Boston A225c Center
Boston A26 Surround
Taga tsw 200 12"inch subwoofer
Acoustic energy 150ci (Ceiling)

Since I am on a budget of 1.5lacs to 2lacs, I have been provided with these 2 options by 2 different vendors.

I really like your suggestion on these or even better ones if available in the market for the said budget.

Cheers

Sunvamp

Last edited:
Hey hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I see your location as Bangalore. Which outlets have you visited for quotes? I guess you can get more quotes from outlets like Profx (Polk, KEF), dni store (Dali, focal, etc.), Etc.

Receiver choice is good, speakers I guess you could look at more options in that budget.

MaSh

I would go the Marantz + Mission combination.

I guess any average to below average speaker will do for ceiling channels. I would direct more money for a better sub woofer.

Hi Guys,

I have a dedicated home theatre (20ftx16ft) and was considering one of the below options for it and would like your recommendations/Suggestions

Since I am on a budget of 1.5lacs to 2lacs, I have been provided with these 2 options by 2 different vendors.

I really like your suggestion on these or even better ones if available in the market for the said budget.

Cheers

Sunvamp

For a budget of 2 Lacs and a dedicated HT room, i would suggest you reconsider speaker options..

Pioneer LX 303 is a 9.2 channel only AVR with no pre-outs for additional channels.. YOu would be limited to 7.2.2 (or) 5.2.4 set-up..

While Marantz SR 6013 is also a 9.2 AVR, but with 11.2 pre-outs.. which gives a little bit more flexibility, you can always add a power amp and expand your system to a full 7.2.4 set-up..

There is no benefit of Floorstanders for moves, when subwoofer(s), can reproduce the lows up to 80Hz.. The rest of the speakers in the room will need to produce above 80Hz and above, which even a small bookshelf can do.. So choose speakers accordingly..

Also two subwoofers in the room is better than a single sub.. So go for dual, identical subs for consistency..

Do consider Taga Harmony Platinum series speakers for its competitive price in India..

Thanks for the feedback guys
I did visit Onkyo and PROFx in MG road, Bangalore and was given a quote for the below systems for my budget

ProFX (7.1 set-up)

Denon AVR X1500
Polk Audio S55 (Towers)
Polk Audio S30(center)
Polk Audio S15 (Bookshelf)
RC60i (Ceiling)
Polk Audio PSW125 12' (Sub)

Onkyo (7.1 set-up)
TXRZ730
SKF 4800F package (5.1)
QI 1110 (Ceiling)

Another vendor
Pioneer Elite Vsx Lx303
Pioneer speaker Sp Fs 52
Pioneer speaker SP c 22
Pioneer speaker Sp bs 22
Pioneer speaker s 51 w sub (two of these)
Taga harmony 280 r

I personnelly am leaning more towards Marantz, however I am not so sure about the speakers to decide on.
My usage will be more of music over the weekends and will also be using the multi zone feature a bit. I am not a huge movie buff.
Your inputs will be much appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback guys
I did visit Onkyo and PROFx in MG road, Bangalore and was given a quote for the below systems for my budget

ProFX (7.1 set-up)

Denon AVR X1500
Polk Audio S55 (Towers)
Polk Audio S30(center)
Polk Audio S15 (Bookshelf)
RC60i (Ceiling)
Polk Audio PSW125 12' (Sub)

I am not a huge movie buff.
Your inputs will be much appreciated.

I would pick this Denon-Polk setup. However, for the Sub I would grab the SVS Sub listed in the For Sale Section.

On a side node, if you are not much of a movie buff, why are you buying a multi channel setup, why not invest the same in a brilliant Stereo Setup? A multichannel setup is not going to sound as good as an at par Stereo Setup. Look at the Harbeths in the For Sale section. Get a matching amp to drive them and a suitable Source.

MaSh

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Option 1:
Marantz 6013 AV receiver or Pionner VSX LX 303 (both 9.2ch)
Mission MX 3 Towers
MIssion MX C1(Center)
Mission MX 1 (Surround)
Taga Harmony TSW 120 (Subwoofer)
Taga Harmony 280R (Ceiling)

Option 2:
Marantz 6013 AV receiver
Boston A360 Towers
Boston A225c Center
Boston A26 Surround
Taga tsw 200 12"inch subwoofer
Acoustic energy 150ci (Ceiling)

Cheers

Sunvamp

I don't know how Mission speakers sound. But I had a comparison between Boston Acoustics A26 & Taga Platinum series Bookshelfs. Taga is far better in terms of clarity and resolution, while BA26 is more bass heavy.

You have an healthy budget for your HT set-up. If you wisely invest it, you can have a great HT system within few years. Marantz SR 6013 is an absolutely fantastic AV receiver and have almost all today's necessary technology in box and seems to do very well with music also. Now second part is speakers....
Instead of going for full 9.1 or 7.1 speakers set , you can go for just 5.1 set now and add Atmos speakers in future as budget permit. Initially bookshelf speakers sets like Polk RTiA 3/1/CSiA4, ELAC B6/5/Center, Dali Zenseror/spektor 3/1/Vokal or similar kind of speakers from other brands like Q Acoustics/ Klispch/ Monitor Audio will work great.
BIC Acoustics pl-200/II is one of the great subwoofer for limited budget can be considered.
Polk OWM 3/5 have wall mount option so can be use as surround speakers now and can be use as Atmos speakers later if front speakers upgraded to Floor standing speakers.
Audition of different speakers with AV receiver is key for successful purchase so have a time , do more and more audition and decide.....

Thanks for your responses guys
@MaSh - Even though I am the primary user, I have other family members who will be using the system as well and hence I was looking for something which goes well with both music and movies. I will get in touch with the sellers and see if the SVS sub is still available.

@Naveenbnc - I have just had a chance to check out Boston acoustics and it sounded great to me. I don't know where i can check out Taga Platinum series and Mission speakers. The vendors I have enquired do not have them for Demo purposes unfortunately. Any idea on where I can check these out?

@rpmahale - I had a similar idea in mind too. Just wanted to setup with 5.1 to start with and then upgrade it in 1 or 2 years time to 7.1 or 9.2 whatever possible.
Since I am in no hurry on this, I will keep doing more demos around Bangalore and see what I can find good.

Currently I owned Boston Acoustics A360 paired with Denon AVR 2113. A360 is a very good speaker for what you pay and have highest value for money tag. They have very good low frequencies extension with more lively vocal and clear high frequency response. They are bit laid back and roll off after 15-16 KHz so can't expect the chrispness in high frequencies. Speakers are tall and huge so occupied more spece and due to rear port need sufficient space behind. Have good build with average looks.

Thanks for your responses guys

@Naveenbnc - I have just had a chance to check out Boston acoustics and it sounded great to me. I don't know where i can check out Taga Platinum series and Mission speakers. The vendors I have enquired do not have them for Demo purposes unfortunately. Any idea on where I can check these out?

@rpmahale - I had a similar idea in mind too. Just wanted to setup with 5.1 to start with and then upgrade it in 1 or 2 years time to 7.1 or 9.2 whatever possible.
Since I am in no hurry on this, I will keep doing more demos around Bangalore and see what I can find good.

Few places where you can demo stuff in Bangalore:

1. Jamsticks in JP Nagar - demo of TAGA products
2. Modern World in Ulsoor - demo of ELAC, Yamaha, and a bunch of other speakers and receivers
3. Pro FX in MG Road - demo of wide varieties of speakers. There is an Onkyo showroom in the same building(Barton Center).
4. HTStore in JP Nagar - has a wide variety. Demo may not be possible for all

As suggested by many, you may stick to Marantz 6013, it is a good receiver.
For subwoofer I also recommend SVS subwoofers.
You can audition PB1000, PB2000, PB4000 etc. at The Home Cinema (Rupesh: 82965 00666).

You can also audition SVS Prime series speakers there. Recommended configuration for SVS prime setup:
Prime Towers
Prime Center
Prime Bookshelf/Satellite (Surrounds)

I think if you go for Marantz 6013+ SVS Subwoofer + SVS Prime speakers, overall cost will be above 2.5 Lakhs.
You may consider building step by step, by bookshelf, then move them to surrounds and add towers, add center, add subwoofer etc. in phases.

Denon + Polk + SVS - if your primary intention of this is for movies
Marantz + Dali + SVS - for movie + music mix

Hi!!! the Receiver Marantz SR6013 will be a good option .Stick to that unless you have higher budget.
Invest high on Good speakers .Do good audition and select the models based on your likings and budget.
Regarding Sub ,SVS is good one,but unfortunately its been priced high here in India due to various reasons(No offense) .There are other good subs available.Do check and audition it.
Some of other subs are .
  • MJ Acoustic sub (The price is very high ,but it can outperform SVS subs.Its very good for both movies and music.Prefer it only if you have higher budget)
  • Velodyne Impact 12. (Its one of the clean and refined sub with very good price to performance ratio)
  • BIC
  • Dali e-12f
Also main is proper placement of sub to provide better performance.If budget permits u can add one more sub now or later of similar model,so that it will be much better.
Speaker options are as follows.
  • KEF Q series speakers
  • Emotiva Airmotiv speakers
  • Monitor Audio speakers
  • Dali Zensor speakers
  • Mission Speakers.
  • MJ acoutics speakers
If possible take help of Bangalore FMs ,do audition in their homes and Shops and have good idea about what you expect,what you like and then take a final call.Good luck!!!

As suggested by many, you may stick to Marantz 6013, it is a good receiver.
For subwoofer I also recommend SVS subwoofers.
You can audition PB1000, PB2000, PB4000 etc. at The Home Cinema (Rupesh: 82965 00666).

You can also audition SVS Prime series speakers there. Recommended configuration for SVS prime setup:
Prime Towers
Prime Center
Prime Bookshelf/Satellite (Surrounds)

I think if you go for Marantz 6013+ SVS Subwoofer + SVS Prime speakers, overall cost will be above 2.5 Lakhs.
You may consider building step by step, by bookshelf, then move them to surrounds and add towers, add center, add subwoofer etc. in phases.

Thanks HTuser, I will get in touch with Rupesh and will have a Demo.
As many people have suggested, I am thinking of investing in just Sub and Bookshelves for now and slowly upgrade them as budget permits

Just my 2 cents :)

As elangoas rightly mentioned . Floor standers are required for 2 channel music duties without sub. Because they add a lot of scale to the sound.

But in a HT situation where a sub is in play, that extra depth of a floor stander is never utilized. So maybe better to save money there, and direct it to a good sub. And just add bookshelves or satellite speakers.

But as a side note, I think for a budget of 2L, the marantz sr 6013 would swallow the chunk of it. So it would be advisable, to add one component at a time. Maybe you could just start with 2 high quality book shelf speakers. And add the rest in future as funds permit.

It has taken me 4 years to build a system, where you can watch a movie at reference 85db volume level in a non treated, normal living room. And iam still not done yet :). I still need a proper subwoofer. So please dont rush. All the best :)

I did visit Roopesh yesterday and did a demo of SVS subs and its prime models. We did do a comparison of Prime models and Polk models and SVS prime's sounded way better than Polk. Polk was more distorted where as SVS was crisp and clear.
Hence I am leaning towards PB1000. The price in India is a little bit on a higher end(about 67k). I can get it from Australia for cheaper including shipping costs (costs about $1110 = Rs 58830)
https://www.svsound.com.au/products/pb-1000
Now comes the speakers part. Still undecided on which one to choose. Doing few more demo's this week.
Can you guys advise on where in Bangalore can we get to experience Dali speakers?

I believe you won't get the 5 year India warranty if you buy from Australia. The price including shipping will be close to the price at which you get the subwoofer from local dealer with warranty.

True, Checked with Aus SVS customer care and they did mention that the warranty is for Aus only. No other choice other than shelling out a bit more. But I guess its worth it for that price.

How are the Monitor Audio speakers? I havent had a chance to do a demo on those, But i heard they sound really good?
Any idea where i could do a demo on these? I could make a decision on the speakers too.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back