Home theatre hunt

sebi

HI Guys,
Not new here and have been reading this forum for long time now and really appreciate your valuable inputs.

I'm looking for home theatre with 5.1 set up (as my room size is only 132-135 sq.f , 11x12 ) would have gone for 7.1 if room would've been large enough, its not dedicated room but its separated space from the living room.
My budget would be between 1lk to 1.5lk
Right now I have finalised AVR with Denon 2400 or 2300(not sure about whats the difference between these two)
My question is about the choosing the right speakers,I'm really clueless here on choosing the right speakers or the brand to go with.
On the other day I visited Cinema focus (Chennai) for audition of their speakers and they did show me System Audio AS (brand I never heard of before) SA SAXO series, though audition room was small the clarity of the speakers was so good, note this was my first audition to any seller and I did really liked the way it sounded, cost of the whole 5.1 comes at 1.25lk.

Planning to go for other sellers for auditions in the upcoming week.
I'm all ears now guys, your valuable inputs are welcome.

I'm looking for home theatre with 5.1 set up (as my room size is only 132-135 sq.f , 11x12 ) would have gone for 7.1 if room would've been large enough, its not dedicated room but its separated space from the living room.

If you can mount 5 speakers on the walls around you, then you should be able to do 2 overheads.. 4 overheads will be a worthy experience.. You just have to put the speakers in the ideal locations..

My living room is slightly bigger than yours, 14 x 11 and i have a 5.2.2.. With 2 overheads, i sometimes feel 4 would be good..

Right now I have finalised AVR with Denon 2400 or 2300(not sure about whats the difference between these two)

With a budget of upto 1.5 lacs, consider Onkyo TX NR 787, a 9.2 capable AVR, will support 5.1.4 Atmos / Dts X layout..

My question is about the choosing the right speakers,I'm really clueless here on choosing the right speakers or the brand to go with.

If you don't get affiliated with popular brands/reviews, you can complete 5.1.4 set-up in your room.. Best would be to pick them online & put it together..

If you have false ceiling in your room, then easier it is to mount the overhead speakers with in-ceiling speakers.. Else, choose a small speaker with mount thread, so that you can mount it with external brackets..

You can get a decent HT under 1.5L

Get Marantz 5.2 AVR for - 34K
The Marantz NR1508 AV Receiver is a 5.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD Network AV Receiver with HEOS

Bic Acoustech PL-200 II Subwoofer for - 40K
Bic Acoustech PL-200 II Subwoofer

For L+R and Surrounds Q Acoustics 3020i - 54K
Q Acoustics 3020i Bookshelf Speakers

For Center Q Acoustics 3090Ci - 18K
Q Acoustics 3090Ci

Also many other speaker packages are available, Audition before buy.
Thanks for the suggestion mate,

Already decided on the AVR, will go with either of Denon 2300 or 2400, based on the availability.

In regards to speakers and Subwoofers ,will go for the audition based on your suggestion.

Any place in Chennai where I can have proper audition for the above mentioned speakers ?

If you can mount 5 speakers on the walls around you, then you should be able to do 2 overheads.. 4 overheads will be a worthy experience.. You just have to put the speakers in the ideal locations..

My living room is slightly bigger than yours, 14 x 11 and i have a 5.2.2.. With 2 overheads, i sometimes feel 4 would be good..

With a budget of upto 1.5 lacs, consider Onkyo TX NR 787, a 9.2 capable AVR, will support 5.1.4 Atmos / Dts X layout..

If you don't get affiliated with popular brands/reviews, you can complete 5.1.4 set-up in your room.. Best would be to pick them online & put it together..

If you have false ceiling in your room, then easier it is to mount the overhead speakers with in-ceiling speakers.. Else, choose a small speaker with mount thread, so that you can mount it with external brackets..

Room doesn't have false sealing and as I suggested it 132 -135 sq.f with L shaped sofa on two sides , I can't keep stand in speakers behind as space is constraint where as I can have two floor standing speakers as room is slightly rectangle in shape.

In regards to AVR, I was thinking of going with Denon 2400 (based on limited knowledge ), you had suggested me Onkyo TX NR 787, performance wise how good these two AVR are ?

1.5 budget is inclusive of AVR and speakers.

Room doesn't have false sealing and as I suggested it 132 -135 sq.f with L shaped sofa on two sides , I can't keep stand in speakers behind as space is constraint where as I can have two floor standing speakers as room is slightly rectangle in shape.

In regards to AVR, I was thinking of going with Denon 2400 (based on limited knowledge ), you had suggested me Onkyo TX NR 787, performance wise how good these two AVR are ?

Atleast go with 2 over head speakers. That makes a huge difference in movies.
Denon 2xxx supports 5.2.2, so even if you get denon plan for Atmos speakers. You don't need false ceiling for this. Direct mount options are available.

HI Guys,
Not new here and have been reading this forum for long time now and really appreciate your valuable inputs.

On the other day I visited Cinema focus (Chennai) for audition of their speakers and they did show me System Audio AS (brand I never heard of before) SA SAXO series, though audition room was small the clarity of the speakers was so good, note this was my first audition to any seller and I did really liked the way it sounded, cost of the whole 5.1 comes at 1.25lk.

Planning to go for other sellers for auditions in the upcoming week.
I'm all ears now guys, your valuable inputs are welcome.

Are you looking for service support? If not I recently bought the Denon x2400 and the JBL arena 170 5.1 package for a friend of mine for Rs. 43,000 and Rs. 50,000 respectively in chennai. These are not illegal imports but from what I can tell these are offical imports sold in a tax grey area lol (check Olx). The JBL pack is pretty good, the sub woofer is a bit bleh (but then I'm very particular on what a sub should be, if it cant do 20hz its not a sub in my opinion)

Consider speakers with wall mount capability..

There isn't a review yet on Onkyo TX NR 787.. There wouldn't be a remarkable difference over one.. Onkyo is equally good as other brands..

yes.. i got it..

These are not illegal imports but from what I can tell these are offical imports sold in a tax grey area lol (check Olx).

you got it ;)..

(but then I'm very particular on what a sub should be, if it cant do 20hz its not a sub in my opinion)

Thatz a tough ask for budget sub :)..

Atleast go with 2 over head speakers. That makes a huge difference in movies.
Denon 2xxx supports 5.2.2, so even if you get denon plan for Atmos speakers. You don't need false ceiling for this. Direct mount options are available.
You mean 2 floor standing and one voice speaker plus 2 rear speakers and two overhead speakers ? 2+1+2 +2 ?

Are you looking for service support? If not I recently bought the Denon x2400 and the JBL arena 170 5.1 package for a friend of mine for Rs. 43,000 and Rs. 50,000 respectively in chennai. These are not illegal imports but from what I can tell these are offical imports sold in a tax grey area lol (check Olx). The JBL pack is pretty good, the sub woofer is a bit bleh (but then I'm very particular on what a sub should be, if it cant do 20hz its not a sub in my opinion)
Denon 2400 cost 43K? I though it cost around 54K?

There isn't a review yet on Onkyo TX NR 787.. There wouldn't be a remarkable difference over one.. Onkyo is equally good as other brands..

yes.. i got it..

you got it ;)..

For the rear yes, it will be wall mounted.

You mean 2 floor standing and one voice speaker plus 2 rear speakers and two overhead speakers ? 2+1+2 +2 ?
1) Front: Floor standing or Book shelf of your choice
2) Center
3) Surround: Rear or Side - based on your sofa position. Side is normal.
4) Subwoofer (1 or 2)
5) Atmos: Top middle

1 to 4 - Makes the system 5.1 or 5.2
With (5) it makes the system 5.1.2 or 5.2.2

1) Front: Floor standing or Book shelf of your choice
2) Center
3) Surround: Rear or Side - based on your sofa position. Side is normal.
4) Subwoofer (1 or 2)
5) Atmos: Top middle

1 to 4 - Makes the system 5.1 or 5.2
With (5) it makes the system 5.1.2 or 5.2.2
Correct me if I'm wrong,
Front: Floor standing or Book shelf of your choice - 2 speakers
2) Center- 1 Speaker
3) Surround: Rear or Side - based on your sofa position. Side is normal.(2 Speakers)
4) Subwoofer (1 or 2) usually 1
5) Atmos: Top middle , you mean in the sealing and how many speakers ?

Correct me if I'm wrong,
Front: Floor standing or Book shelf of your choice - 2 speakers
2) Center- 1 Speaker
3) Surround: Rear or Side - based on your sofa position. Side is normal.(2 Speakers)
4) Subwoofer (1 or 2) usually 1
5) Atmos: Top middle , you mean in the sealing and how many speakers ?

if you are doing 5(LCR + Surround).1(sub).2(atmos) - then the 2 atmos speakers in the ceiling ahead of the seating position

Nope 43k, maybe even less if you have bargaining skills ( i have none). 54k was what he wanted for a SR 5012
Thats sounds encouraging, need to hit market to find what they are offering in Chennai.
Choosing the right speakers would be more challenging I suppose.

yes.. i got it..

you got it ;)..

Your Onkyo TX NR 787 suggestion is interesting Elango, started my own research based on your suggestion.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back