Home theatre setup Cost saving Bangalore

csunil

Hello Guys,
I am in the process of setting up home theatre in a 17*24 room size. AV consultant gave me a quotation of around 25L-26L for electronics and acoustics which includes focal speakers (aria series) for 7.2.4 configuration,epson tw7100, 165 inch screen, quatrrocanali power amplifier ,marantz7015 with acoustics costing 10.5 L.
Any suggestions how i could bring costs down probably switching to different brand of speakers which could provide same feel as focal. Is Power amplifier costing 2.5 L necessary for this setup or Can I use a lower version of power amplifier ? Request your inputs please.

Acoustics you can do yourself and bring down the cost by 5L. Equipments and speakers are always your choice. However i suggest to look into installing in-wall speakers for these kind of dedicated rooms will give a rich and neat look and give more space.

Also for these rooms i prefer to suggest dedicated AV processor + power amplifier which will give proper power to all speakers or else Marantz 6015 or 7015 with dedicated power amplifier for surround & ceiling speakers connected thru preouts except LCR.

Also you can add automation for your AV equipments and lights too with the budget quoted.

Regards

Acoustics you can do yourself and bring down the cost by 5L. Equipments and speakers are always your choice. However i suggest to look into installing in-wall speakers for these kind of dedicated rooms will give a rich and neat look and give more space.

Also for these rooms i prefer to suggest dedicated AV processor + power amplifier which will give proper power to all speakers or else Marantz 6015 or 7015 with dedicated power amplifier for surround & ceiling speakers connected thru preouts except LCR.

Also you can add automation for your AV equipments and lights too with the budget quoted.

Regards
Home theatre guy is suggesting me highest priced products. I feel power amplifier (2.5L) is bit waste of money . What other alternatives is there for Quatrrocanali 2404 in under 1 L based on the speakers.

Last edited:
Hello Guys,
I am in the process of setting up home theatre in a 17*24 room size. AV consultant gave me a quotation of around 25L-26L for electronics and acoustics which includes focal speakers (aria series) for 7.2.4 configuration,epson tw7100, 165 inch screen, quatrrocanali power amplifier ,marantz7015 with acoustics costing 10.5 L.
Any suggestions how i could bring costs down probably switching to different brand of speakers which could provide same feel as focal. Is Power amplifier costing 2.5 L necessary for this setup or Can I use a lower version of power amplifier ? Request your inputs please.
Why not choose speakers which are meant for performance instead of aesthetics as its a dedicated home theatre ..
And the amount he is charging for Acoustics I'm sure that he is offering 100% absorption.
The room will be completely dead and lifeless. And will be difficult to sit in for prolonged periods.
100% absorption is strict no by THX and HAA standards.

Hello Guys,
Hi Sir,
First of all, how much free time do you have? And when do you want this room ready? Is it a new construction?
I'd most importantly suggest doing one weekend of listening in many places that Bangalore has. It will give you an idea of what kind of sounds you like. It will also reduce the chances of heartbreak once your room is set up.

I am in the process of setting up home theatre in a 17*24 room size.
Also, is this your primary home (everyday movie-watching)? If so, go slow.
Is this your second home outside city (or even weekend movie watching in main house as a recreational thing) then you can play fast and loose with the provider (he is already over-charging you; and the ratio is all wrong)
AV consultant gave me a quotation of around 25L-26L for electronics and acoustics which includes focal speakers (aria series)
Great series, great speakers if he is giving something starting with 9.
for 7.2.4 configuration,epson tw7100,
weak link in the chain. Ask for specific price for this projector, please. Ideally, considering your overall budget, you should haggle and buy a true 4K JVC or Sony.
165 inch screen,
Please, again, ask him for what brand screen is he giving?
In your room - depending on answer to my second para, I'd say go for a good and cheap AT screen, while putting up screen channel hidden speakers.
quatrrocanali power amplifier ,marantz7015 with acoustics costing 10.5 L.
You could really wrap this up within 1-2L. This is the biggest giveaway that the provider has not really asked you in detail about your requirements. So, I'd suggest you revisit this aspect.
Yes, you can.

Overall, I'd suggest, look at your usage first.
And then start all over again.

If this is a dedicated room, irrespective of whether you watch daily or weekly, I'd go about it as follows:
1. Pre-wiring 7.x.4 channels (cost from contractor: he should ideally do this at 10K within your electrical cost for house work; if existing house, maybe pay someone 20K to in-lay pipes and speaker cables)
If you are okay with electrical cables as speakers wires, the cable will be done under 10K, if you want same wires that are branded as speaker cables, maybe 30K)

2. I'd suggest you go for a 4K projector and shop for it and bargain and haggle for a good JVC or Sony deal between 5L and 7L

<In your room and for your budget, the projector should be the centre-piece, at around 30-40 per cent of your total budget. Then speakers, similarly, at 30 per cent of your budget>

3. Acoustically Transparent Screen (Should be doable within 30K)

4. Screen channel speakers+sub, preferably by QSC, ATS, or Ascendo. (7L)

5. Surrounds and ceilings: By same brand preferably, but cheap out here, within 1L

6. A good Marantz 8 series Pre-Pro (6L, am assuming, though the prices are bonkers now)

7. Room treatment at a high level of 2L

8. A total budget of: 24L max

If I have made any mistakes, am sure more experienced FMs will point it out.

Wishing you the best.
Regards

Last edited:
Hello Guys,
One area where you can cut cost is Room acoustics . There are many better options price wise without compromising on quality

Hi Sir,
First of all, how much free time do you have? And when do you want this room ready? Is it a new construction?
I'd most importantly suggest doing one weekend of listening in many places that Bangalore has. It will give you an idea of what kind of sounds you like. It will also reduce the chances of heartbreak once your room is set up.

Also, is this your primary home (everyday movie-watching)? If so, go slow.
Is this your second home outside city (or even weekend movie watching in main house as a recreational thing) then you can play fast and loose with the provider (he is already over-charging you; and the ratio is all wrong)

Great series, great speakers if he is giving something starting with 9.

weak link in the chain. Ask for specific price for this projector, please. Ideally, considering your overall budget, you should haggle and buy a true 4K JVC or Sony.

Please, again, ask him for what brand screen is he giving?
In your room - depending on answer to my second para, I'd say go for a good and cheap AT screen, while putting up screen channel hidden speakers.

You could really wrap this up within 1-2L. This is the biggest giveaway that the provider has not really asked you in detail about your requirements. So, I'd suggest you revisit this aspect.

Yes, you can.

Overall, I'd suggest, look at your usage first.
And then start all over again.

If this is a dedicated room, irrespective of whether you watch daily or weekly, I'd go about it as follows:
1. Pre-wiring 7.x.4 channels (cost from contractor: he should ideally do this at 10K within your electrical cost for house work; if existing house, maybe pay someone 20K to in-lay pipes and speaker cables)
If you are okay with electrical cables as speakers wires, the cable will be done under 10K, if you want same wires that are branded as speaker cables, maybe 30K)

2. I'd suggest you go for a 4K projector and shop for it and bargain and haggle for a good JVC or Sony deal between 5L and 7L

<In your room and for your budget, the projector should be the centre-piece, at around 30-40 per cent of your total budget. Then speakers, similarly, at 30 per cent of your budget>

3. Acoustically Transparent Screen (Should be doable within 30K)

4. Screen channel speakers+sub, preferably by QSC, ATS, or Ascendo. (7L)

5. Surrounds and ceilings: By same brand preferably, but cheap out here, within 1L

6. A good Marantz 8 series Pre-Pro (6L, am assuming, though the prices are bonkers now)

7. Room treatment at a high level of 2L

8. A total budget of: 24L max

If I have made any mistakes, am sure more experienced FMs will point it out.

Wishing you the best.
Regards
you say great speaker and then suggest him to put these behind the screen. ( its counter-intuitive)

wrapping up acoustics in 1-2 lakhs isn't possible in this room size and budget. but yeah 10 lakhs is surely not needed. ( the quote might include sound proofing)and according to me the major flaw is 100% absorption.

1) prewiring ? you mean as per the dolby layout images online? but how will he finalize the seating location? without finalizing the location wiring cannot be done.
seating location -number of seats - screen size - room size - speaker selection - number of subwoofers - subwoofer locations - projector selection - speaker layout.
all these are interlinked.
now how can pre wiring be done?

2) whatever projector is selected - professional calibration is very important ( for example - a calibrated epson 7100 throws a better picture quality than epson 9400 projector)
and if cost cutting is needed epson 9400 is a fantastic choice.
30% of budget for a projector is too high. 15-20% is decent. and this mainly depends on what is more important to you - audio or video. if its a balance then 15-20%.

3) which brand screen is doable in 30k? (I am looking for low cost acoustic screen options)
I have installed a 150" screen costing around 35k and it was a nightmare.

4 and 5) screen channel speakers - QSC - good choice - but transit damage with qsc is really high- have done 2 home theaters with QSC.
ASCENDO speakers cannot be done in 8 lakhs for this room. cost cutting on surrounds to that extent isn't wise as there can be drastic quality difference.
ATS? do you mean ATC? ATC is totally ruled out for dedicated home theaters because of their design type, they might be really good for music though.

6) Marantz power amps are not a great option. You need to choose good quality amps at least for the screen channels.

7) good room treatment with decent aesthetics is not possible in 2 lakhs. by acoustics if you mean just hanging absorption panels on the wall then its surely possible but that a thing for low budget home theatres.

8)we also need to factor in the other costs incurred while making the room like ac, automation seating etc.
and I guess you are suggesting him a DIY project , which at this budget is extremely unwise.

telling this with first hand experience.

hope this helps.. :)

Yes @prateekatasniya is absolutely right. @k-pad acoustics for this room size may not be possible with 2L ... Bare minimum 5L will go with few compromises. Having spent 15L to 20L for the equipments and neatly room is not done, not worth going for it.

Regards

Last edited:
you say great speaker and then suggest him to put these behind the screen. ( its counter-intuitive)

wrapping up acoustics in 1-2 lakhs isn't possible in this room size and budget. but yeah 10 lakhs is surely not needed. ( the quote might include sound proofing)and according to me the major flaw is 100% absorption.

1) prewiring ? you mean as per the dolby layout images online? but how will he finalize the seating location? without finalizing the location wiring cannot be done.
seating location -number of seats - screen size - room size - speaker selection - number of subwoofers - subwoofer locations - projector selection - speaker layout.
all these are interlinked.
now how can pre wiring be done?

2) whatever projector is selected - professional calibration is very important ( for example - a calibrated epson 7100 throws a better picture quality than epson 9400 projector)
and if cost cutting is needed epson 9400 is a fantastic choice.
30% of budget for a projector is too high. 15-20% is decent. and this mainly depends on what is more important to you - audio or video. if its a balance then 15-20%.

3) which brand screen is doable in 30k? (I am looking for low cost acoustic screen options)
I have installed a 150" screen costing around 35k and it was a nightmare.

4 and 5) screen channel speakers - QSC - good choice - but transit damage with qsc is really high- have done 2 home theaters with QSC.
ASCENDO speakers cannot be done in 8 lakhs for this room. cost cutting on surrounds to that extent isn't wise as there can be drastic quality difference.
ATS? do you mean ATC? ATC is totally ruled out for dedicated home theaters because of their design type, they might be really good for music though.

6) Marantz power amps are not a great option. You need to choose good quality amps at least for the screen channels.

7) good room treatment with decent aesthetics is not possible in 2 lakhs. by acoustics if you mean just hanging absorption panels on the wall then its surely possible but that a thing for low budget home theatres.

8)we also need to factor in the other costs incurred while making the room like ac, automation seating etc.
and I guess you are suggesting him a DIY project , which at this budget is extremely unwise.

telling this with first hand experience.

hope this helps.. :)
Never suggested OP put the Arias behind the screen! :D

As for the pj, I don't know why his consultant has suggested the 7100 at his budget. At least, 9400, if not a 4K option within budget would have been better.

Yes the ATCs, my bad.

Agree with you and Srini on room treatment, that it could go higher.

In all, am just intrigued by OP's consultant's original plan. Doesn't sound optimum at all.
Regards

Never suggested OP put the Arias behind the screen! :D

As for the pj, I don't know why his consultant has suggested the 7100 at his budget. At least, 9400, if not a 4K option within budget would have been better.

Yes the ATCs, my bad.

Agree with you and Srini on room treatment, that it could go higher.

In all, am just intrigued by OP's consultant's original plan. Doesn't sound optimum at all.
Regards
Yes.. No doubt the original plan is full of flaws..
For the projector you are right - 9400 should be minimum.

Yes @prateekatasniya is absolutely right. @k-pad acoustics for this room size may not be possible with 2L ... Bare minimum 5L will go with few compromises. Having spent 15L to 20L for the equipments and neatly room is not done, not worth going for it.

Regards
Yes.. the room aesthetics are equally important.. and it doesn't matter if a person is purely performance oriented..
As once you sit in a beautifully done room the perceived performance is better..
The room should give psychological comfort.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say 7L for speakers is overkill for movies. Higher-end speakers get you a marginal improvement - more noticable in timbral accuracy. That is not necessary for movies. I'd slash that budget in half, in the OP's shoes.

YMMV and all.

I would say 7L for speakers is overkill for movies. Higher-end speakers get you a marginal improvement - more noticable in timbral accuracy. That is not necessary for movies. I'd slash that budget in half, in the OP's shoes.

YMMV and all.
7L is overkill? which speakers would you suggest in his case? which would cost 3.5 lakhs..

you mean to say music demands more fidelity than movies?

but its quite the opposite... movie tracks are much more complex.

you mean to say music demands more fidelity than movies?
but its quite the opposite... movie tracks are much more complex.

Nothing in a movie comes close to replicating the complexity of an orchestra, for example - not even close. You have essentially dialogs, sound effects and music/score. Most scenes will have 1 or 2 of these elements - and when the music/score is combined with dialogs or sound effects, it is rarely going to be super-complex. Compare that to accurate tonal and timbral reproduction of an orchestra, for example. So I disagree that movie tracks are much more complex, atleast as far as reproduction by speakers is concerned.

Everyone has different expectations re their HT system. I have pointed out my mindset - you and the OP are welcome to disagree, of course.

Nothing in a movie comes close to replicating the complexity of an orchestra, for example - not even close. You have essentially dialogs, sound effects and music/score. Most scenes will have 1 or 2 of these elements - and when the music/score is combined with dialogs or sound effects, it is rarely going to be super-complex. Compare that to accurate tonal and timbral reproduction of an orchestra, for example. So I disagree that movie tracks are much more complex, atleast as far as reproduction by speakers is concerned.

Everyone has different expectations re their HT system. I have pointed out my mindset - you and the OP are welcome to disagree, of course.
okay.. so according to you what is the right choice for such a home theater?

Hello Guys,

Hello Buddy,

I'm in the same boat as you, a guy with a dedicated HT on the cards!

Firstly, my sincere suggestion is to take it slow. Don't rush into the things, HT is a hobby that demands lots of time and patience.

Before going to a consultant, please be clear about your expectations! [Determine the seating capacity, level of immersiveness, aesthetics, usage pattern] and then decide on the budget.

There are lots of HT professionals but finding the right person is the key. You must find a guy who is:

1. More excited and passionate about your HT than your very self.
2. Who always intends to add maximum value to your budget/project.
3. Who values client's expectations, gives max importance to planning process.
4. Who gets out of his comfort zone to pursue new tech/stuff rather than suggesting a mass market product.

Don't ask for a quote, talk to your installer and see if he really is a guy of this sorts.

Once you find the right guy, the game is on. Till then, don't worry about the products/services.

P.S: Learnt all this during the past few months of my journey with @prateekatasniya

Last edited:
More than just going to a showroom and have demo and fix the installer, just go around the works where he has done and finalise the deal and it works out to be good.

The listed items and budget for them seems high to me and poorly chosen components. If you feel comfortable go with QSC or seek out a different installer. I have observed that installers are far greedier than people who sell individual components. Just my views of course.

The listed items and budget for them seems high to me and poorly chosen components. If you feel comfortable go with QSC or seek out a different installer. I have observed that installers are far greedier than people who sell individual components. Just my views of course.

Some do for passion, some do for money + passion, some only do for money.. If we are able to identify the right one, we will be safe.

If only for passion it will be an experiment, so if we choose money + passion it will be a good choice.:)

Hello Guys,
What budget are you comfortable with ? What are your expectations from the Home Theater ?

If you are into HT for the first time and not very experienced with the entire audio video stuff, I would say, prioritize on the video side of things. Good big screen, good 4k projector(HDR, Dolby Vision if it is available, I don't know) , maybe even a good decor. Good sound can be had for much less for your room if you are not looking at theater level playback.

Back