Home theatre sudden volume burst

dr.karaan

during high action scenes the volume suddenly goes high in my system, my AVR IS pioneer VSX 1131, i cant see any setting in my avr to prevent this, any help will be appreciated

during high action scenes the volume suddenly goes high in my system, my AVR IS pioneer VSX 1131, i cant see any setting in my avr to prevent this, any help will be appreciated

Does your AVR have a "Dynamic volume" in the room correction software settings as in the Marantz or Denon ? Dynamic volume is an Audyssey feature which keeps the volume constant & prevents sudden volume spikes. You may have to search for something similar in the Pioneer's Mcacc software.
The Pioneer owner's may be able to help out.

Last edited:
I m also experiencing similar

Dynamic Volume, Night Mode and similar are for this very purpose. All movies have varying levels and these modes trim the extremes.

MaSh

What do you actually mean by sudden volume spikes ? Does it mean, that for chance, you are hearing at a volume level of 70 and suddenly the volume spikes cause it to go to 75 ? Do you mean that ?
If not, then its completely normal, coz action scenes like gunshots, car crash, explosions are very loud in real life and they will sound very loud in a HT setup. It has to be like that.
Most people hate Dynamic Volume, as it feels like hearing a highly compressed audio, but give it a try if you like.

Various brands of AVRs would have different settings.....Night Mode / Dynamic Volume / Silent Cinema etc etc. All these are detailed in the Owners / Operating manual.

Certain movie scenes are recorded to bring out the action and make the experience as real as possible for the viewer. Most Action / Thriller / Horror / Sci Fi movies would have these sudden outbursts......as long as the pair speakers are configured and set appropriately, there should be no immediate danger to them.....(Hence the auto setup which sets these at conservative levels).

As from my personal experience, in order not to wake the neighbours (who actually tolerate my loud volumes), I change my settings of Dynamic volume to Medium or Heavy when watching something post 1am. Else I prefer to put it off or keep it on Light...which helps the listening experience. Settings again would differ from user to user based on the room setup and conditions etc.....at the end, whatever sounds best and acceptable should be done.

If you have a pdf copy of the manual, search for terms like loudness, volume level control, or dynamic range or dynamic volume.

Hi,
I am also using pioneer vsx 1131. I used to experience the same earlier after i did auto mcacc calibration. But, after manual calibration, i am satisfied. Have you also done auto calibration?

What do you actually mean by sudden volume spikes ? Does it mean, that for chance, you are hearing at a volume level of 70 and suddenly the volume spikes cause it to go to 75 ? Do you mean that ?
If not, then its completely normal, coz action scenes like gunshots, car crash, explosions are very loud in real life and they will sound very loud in a HT setup. It has to be like that.
Most people hate Dynamic Volume, as it feels like hearing a highly compressed audio, but give it a try if you like.
yes exactly i m speaking the same, but it gets too lound too be tolerable, i hv tried maccc but then sound is not upto my liking so macc is off and set the sound settings manually

I think that is the dynamics of the sound .For certain scenes it is required ...say example Bomb explosions/Shot gun firing etc.,
Normally we increase the volume/signal gain ,to hear dialogues better .But during these type of scenes it will go high.
I guess ,The issues will be sorted ,if we keep the centre at the right position/ level ,and integrtaing properly with sub and keeping at right crossovers based on your room .In this case you hear the dialogues clearly without increasing too much volume..So during dynamic action scenes you may not feel unpleasant loudness.Your room and speaker placement and right settings plays a major role here.
One more problem may be ,normally most AVR doesn't have capability of producing right power during dynamic action scenes ,this leads too unpleasant high volume sounds (the texture / quality of the right sound is lost at higher volumes .Also most AVR manufacturers doesn't reveal the RMS figures when driving all channels).This can be improved by adding good power amp,so that it will bring the right dynamics to the movie scenes,also it adds a depth /solidness to the sound.I have seen this difference when I added ATI power amp to my system.
I normally listen at -8 to -1.5 db level depending upon the sound track of the movies.Some may not like it hearing at higher volumes ,but still its an individual preference.

I second this. If Action scenes are louder than dialogues then your system is doing the right thing. Most movies are mastered like this

yes exactly i m speaking the same, but it gets too lound too be tolerable, i hv tried maccc but then sound is not upto my liking so macc is off and set the sound settings manually

Did you try the A.DRC ? Its under " options" menu. Locate it and set it to "ON"

not tired it will try n let u know, but i dont think there is option like that in settings
You can use it if you really want to suppress effects.Else the scene may not be enjoyable as intended to sound in original recording.
eg.many of us have tested "The Book of Eli" demo scene and with DRC on, the sound of gunshots will appear very soft.

Any solution guys i have started facing this issue, my amp is denon avc a1hd and while I raise the volume one by one it increases and jumps like 12 to 15 db for eg i am at -27 and the scene is going and i raise the volume as I want to go up a little and while doing so it gets a jump and the sound increases which is also scary i had to put the amp off right away to save speakers and amp too
Help guys
Regards

Any solution guys i have started facing this issue, my amp is denon avc a1hd and while I raise the volume one by one it increases and jumps like 12 to 15 db for eg i am at -27 and the scene is going and i raise the volume as I want to go up a little and while doing so it gets a jump and the sound increases which is also scary i had to put the amp off right away to save speakers and amp too
Help guys
Regards
Usually doesn't happen when using remote control. I had sr5006 for short period and after 1hr of uses, that issue would come. Must be heat causing malfunction of volume control

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back