Home Theatre x 2 Advice | Budget - 1-1.5 Each

IndiChiper

Hi,

I am planning to build out two separate 5.1 home theatre systems over the next year. I do not have the space or will to get mounting done for Atmos and will simply have to do without it. One will be in the living room and the other will be a bedroom set up. The budget is approximately 1-1.2 for each and can be extended marginally as well.

Source: blurays, 4K video from the Nvidia Shield.

Completely open to buying used from forum members. Now, I'm not expecting (or wanting) an HTIB. I'd just like a bit of guidance towards what sort of components should i be looking out for. I'm okay with starting off with a 2.1 and gradually building further but i'd prefer that the budget doesn't exceed much more.

For both the setups, I'd like it if they could also double up as great stereo speakers for music listening. If this requires investment in a separate stereo amp, I'm okay with that as long as the speakers can be doubled for use with both. I listen to a lot of music over Tidal and my record player and would want quality stereo audio as well.

I have a pair of Edifier 2.1s that have served me well. They might not be audiophile quality but have held up very well over the last 8-10 years. Would it be advisable to reuse them as rear speakers?

This is a long-term plan over the next few months so please bear with me in case i keep bumping the thread from time to time. Thank you!

One will be in the living room and the other will be a bedroom set up. The budget is approximately 1-1.2 for each and can be extended marginally as well.

So i assume you can approx spend 2.5 L + lil more.. You may consider these options..

For your living room, you can consider a Pioneer LX 303, a 9.2 AVR abt 70K.. This AVR is capable of 4 heights.. If you are not able to do speakers on ceiling, you may consider height speakers high on your front wall and rear wall.. Don't worry abt tilting them initially, you can get custom DIY stands (or) ready made speaker stands from amazon.in for very less..

For speakers consider Taga Harmony Platinum series, specifically S90 SL x 4 pairs (one pair for fronts, one pair for surrounds, one pair for front heights, one pair for rear heights) + C90 SL + add two subwoofer = 100 ~ 120K..

For your bedroom, you can choose a simple 5.1 system, any 5.1 AVR + Taga TAV 5.0 speaker packge + a subwoofer = 60 ~ 70K..

Exactly my thought. Why two setup?
I would advise you to setup one stereo setup predominantly for music with an integrated amp + speakers. This can also be used for movies. Also instead of spending money on surrounds for this you could add that that money to the stereo setup and get much better stereo setup. 1.5 lakh can get you a very good stereo setup.
For the other setup get a used 5.1 capable avr and go with polk series of speakers which I find quite good for movies. Add a sub and you are set.
I wouldn't advise pioneer for amp as recently 2 fms didn't find it good enough, switched to Marantz and are happy. Neither will you find pioneer in the top avr lists. I don't know why people recommend pioneer.
Google for the best in your budget and audition them.

So i assume you can approx spend 2.5 L + lil more.. You may consider these options..

For your living room, you can consider a Pioneer LX 303, a 9.2 AVR abt 70K.. This AVR is capable of 4 heights.. If you are not able to do speakers on ceiling, you may consider height speakers high on your front wall and rear wall.. Don't worry abt tilting them initially, you can get custom DIY stands (or) ready made speaker stands from amazon.in for very less..

For speakers consider Taga Harmony Platinum series, specifically S90 SL x 4 pairs (one pair for fronts, one pair for surrounds, one pair for front heights, one pair for rear heights) + C90 SL + add two subwoofer = 100 ~ 120K..

For your bedroom, you can choose a simple 5.1 system, any 5.1 AVR + Taga TAV 5.0 speaker packge + a subwoofer = 60 ~ 70K..

Interesting. I've never heard Taga speakers but they seem to come highly recommended.

Any thoughts on using the existing speakers as satellites or would they be too mismatched?

Since you mentioned existing speakers are 2.1 system I assume that they are Edifier computer speakers with a subwoofer and 2 satellite speakers which has got amplifier for speakers and subwoofer.

Share the model number and list specification details. If they are interconnected through proprietary cable and system uses inputs like 3.5mm jack or optical audio, it is difficult to use them as surround speakers in HT setup.

If we can connect normal speaker wires to them, check the impedance , whether it is 4 or 6 or 8Ohm.
Also check the wattage of individual speaker, check whether it supports 25W to 100W amplifier

Since you mentioned existing speakers are 2.1 system I assume that they are Edifier computer speakers with a subwoofer and 2 satellite speakers which has got amplifier for speakers and subwoofer.

Share the model number and list specification details. If they are interconnected through proprietary cable and system uses inputs like 3.5mm jack or optical audio, it is difficult to use them as surround speakers in HT setup.

If we can connect normal speaker wires to them, check the impedance , whether it is 4 or 6 or 8Ohm.
Also check the wattage of individual speaker, check whether it supports 25W to 100W amplifier

4Ohm speakers with standard speaker cables. Copy pasting the exact specifications. I'm considering reusing these simply because they sound pretty decent and I don't want them to go waste. If not ideal, I can, of course, consider buying matched satellites.

POWER AMPLIFIER OUTPUT POWER:
  • SATELLITE BOX CHANNEL:RMS 8W × 2 (THD + N = 10%, f = 1 kHz)
  • BASS CHANNEL:RMS 30W (THD+N=10%, f=80Hz)
  • POWER AMPLIFIER SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO:>=85dBA
  • DISTORTION (%):≤0.5
  • ADJUSTMENT FORM:amplifier front panel knob adjustment, remote adjustment
  • WOOF UNIT:8 inches (outer diameter 210mm), 4Ω
  • MIDRANGE UNIT:3.5 inches (outer diameter 92mm), 4Ω
  • TREBLE UNIT:13mm diameter silk film treble, 4Ω
  • TRANSFORMER OUTPUT POWER:60W (20V × 3A)
  • LOW SPEAKER CABINET SIZE:268 (width W) × 330 (high H) × 309 (deep D) mm
  • SATELLITE BOX SIZE:116 (width W) × 203 (high H) × 160 (deep D) mm

These satellites are not compatible with standard AV Receivers.
Most of the AVRs support 6Ω and 8Ω speakers. Speakers with 4Ω draws more current and AVR will get heated up. Compatibility with AVR to be checked before using 4Ω speakers.

The satellite speaker wattage of 8W is too low and it will get damaged when connected to AVR having more power. AVR also may get damaged along with speaker damage.

You may check the below post
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...bill-or-without-bill.73281/page-2#post-808758

I recommend buying new matching bookshelf speakers or surround speakers for your HT setup

Most of the AVRs support 6Ω and 8Ω speakers. Speakers with 4Ω draws more current and AVR will get heated up. Compatibility with AVR to be checked before using 4Ω speakers.

The satellite speaker wattage of 8W is too low and it will get damaged when connected to AVR having more power. AVR also may get damaged along with speaker damage.

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...bill-or-without-bill.73281/page-2#post-808758

I recommend buying new matching bookshelf speakers or surround speakers for your HT setup
Thank you. That makes sense. New to this.

Here's an idea. Getting just one AV receiver with WiFi and using it with 2 sets of speakers, saving you good money allowing to get better speakers. Something that can be controlled by an app. Wiring everything would be the only disadvantage.

Also, is it possible to hook up an integrated amp and an AV receiver to the same speakers? In this case I can up my budget and use the same front speakers for a stereo and 5.1 set up?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back