Hotstar Relay quality is horse $#!@

Spinekar

Hotstar has some good content but their relay quality is horrible, started watching House of dragon video quality is bad and more importantly audio is 2.0 not sure when they will improve this, forcing me to find other ways to watch what i want in HD audio even though i have the top tier hotstar plan
wanted to check with you guys here if i have to do some changes in setting to get better audio.
what i use - 4k, atmos capable AVR, 1080p Projector. Nvidia shield 2017

I took a premium subscription only yesterday to watch the Asian cup. The video quality was horrendous, probably 360p quality, not even close to 720p. I will not bother with it once the Asian Cup is done with.

I took a premium subscription only yesterday to watch the Asian cup. The video quality was horrendous, probably 360p quality, not even close to 720p. I will not bother with it once the Asian Cup is done with.
where to create some noise about this so that Hotstar's credibility is hurt a bit and their PR takes notice?

I use hotstar on my TV chain only, which is just 2 satellite speakers and a sub. TV is full HD and the video is fine. Its not spectacular like Sony Liv, but will do for casual watching.

MaSh

I use Hotstar only for streaming sports.
A good 2 channel source is far better than a 5.1 channel audio from Hotstar. I had compared it with a lot of movies.

I had given up on Hotstar during the OG GoT itself, picture quality is hopeless.
I watched GoT entirely on 'alternative sources' even though I have been a premium subscriber for ages, just unfortunate that.
I remember 'The Long Night' episode frustrated us to no end, especially since us friends gathered at my place to watch it on my Projector + HT setup. I do not remember now why exactly but the alternate source did not work out for some reason.

Is there a regulatory body for these OTT platforms? Shouldn’t it be made mandatory for each platform to stipulate the video and audio resolutions (in numeric terms, not cryptic High/Med etc) when you subscribe and then maintain the same? They can have tiered subscription rates based of resolution - customers won’t mind it. What’s not acceptable is unpredictable/varying quality - that’s not what the VUCA world means! 😀

Highly appreciate Apple TV+ and MUBI in this respect. I am subscribed to MUBI for 4-5 years now, with rock-steady audio and picture quality all along! Netflix too hasn’t had much to complain about. I think it’s the (old time) TV channel turned OTT platforms that are the offenders on this respect. Things aren’t much better with say Sony Liv or ZEE5 for that matter.

Last edited:
I had given up on Hotstar during the OG GoT itself, picture quality is hopeless.
I watched GoT entirely on 'alternative sources' even though I have been a premium subscriber for ages, just unfortunate that.
I remember 'The Long Night' episode frustrated us to no end, especially since us friends gathered at my place to watch it on my Projector + HT setup. I do not remember now why exactly but the alternate source did not work out for some reason.
What is alternative source for better picture quality? House of dragon was supposed to be in 4k Dolby vision and atmos but not on hotstar, quality is bad.

Is it india only phenomenon? In the US, Disney compares favorably to Netflix apparently, stealing a lot of customers.

not sure when they will improve this

I don't expect their subscribers (mostly watching on phones) care about AV quality, so I doubt they will. I only watch Liverpool games on Hotstar in my HT when it's raining and my TataSky STB can't get a signal. The quality can be pretty hit/miss. IME, SonyLiv seems to be better for sports. Appa and Amma watch a couple of Tamil serials when they visit and those aren't too bad, but the foreign TV stuff is pretty poor. Don't think I haven't watched anything on it other than Chernobyl and Mare on Easttown, TBF.

Really, really wish the iTunes store in India started carrying TV shows.

Hotstar has some good content but their relay quality is horrible, started watching House of dragon video quality is bad and more importantly audio is 2.0 not sure when they will improve this, forcing me to find other ways to watch what i want in HD audio even though i have the top tier hotstar plan
wanted to check with you guys here if i have to do some changes in setting to get better audio.
what i use - 4k, atmos capable AVR, 1080p Projector. Nvidia shield 2017
Hi,
HOD played in Dolby 5.1 audio in Hotstar in my setup. I have 4K TV, Shield 2017, Atmos capable AVR. Picture quality is also good. I have Chromecast with Google TV; it played in Dolby 5.1 in that also.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back