How do I connect external sources to Allo Boss DAC

kaushik741

Hi ,

I am exploring Class D amplifiers with DSD DACs by ALLO .

I have FLAC in my external HDD and wanted to connect with ALLO Boss DAC . DAC output will be connected with ALLO Volt+ Double Amplifier .

I am getting confused how do I connect ? There are no Digital Input source ports like SPDIF in or USB in with ALLO BOSS DAC .

What are the other boards or SBC is required ?

If someone can help me with concepts and connection guideline .

Thanks to everyone .

There are no Digital Input source ports like SPDIF in or USB in with ALLO BOSS DAC
Allo BOSS DAC receives the audio signal from rpi directly through I2S. Together with Raspberry Pi they make the Allo BOSS player.

And you can connect your HDD to one of the USB ports of Rpi, provided you have a raspbian os installed in the pi, capable of reading through HDD content and playing the music files.

I'm not sure how you planning to install the Boss DAC in your system, but it sits on top of rpi like a hat. Experts @Kannan @firearm12 may provide some suggestion.

Allo boss is a dac hat ( board you can connect to pi using gpio pins ) which you have to connect to a raspberry pi . You can use viliomo,moode audio os etc to run the raspberry pi . Just write the iso of those os on a sd card and boot from it . And you can connect the HDD to raspberry pis usb ports . Some times you have to give external power for hard disk with a powered hub or some jugad way . Control of the pi can be done from a mobile or any device connected to the network . you can use a ir remote also .

Do you just have the boss dac board or a s it alomg with the raspberry Pi? You need the Pi to use the boss dac. Pi has USB ports which can be used to connect.

Do post a pic of what you have. That should clear things up for all.

MaSh

As other FMs mentioned above, Allo BOSS DAC is a DAC board which works only with a raspberry Pi and together will work as a Media Player or Streamer with appropriate software. And it will not work like other standalone external DACs with plenty of digital inputs where you can feed digital inputs. Here you can play your media files (from USB HDD or SD card or Network Shares) & stream online music from Tidal, Spotify etc. but you cannot connect any digital output from say CD player or PC or TV.

If you have not bought already, you can buy Allo Boss player (rpi+Boss dac) from https://www.fabtolab.com/boss-player-eu

Allo boss is a dac hat ( board you can connect to pi using gpio pins ) which you have to connect to a raspberry pi . You can use viliomo,moode audio os etc to run the raspberry pi . Just write the iso of those os on a sd card and boot from it . And you can connect the HDD to raspberry pis usb ports . Some times you have to give external power for hard disk with a powered hub or some jugad way . Control of the pi can be done from a mobile or any device connected to the network . you can use a ir remote also .

Thanks for the input and suggestion .
The " Juggar " can be a choice to connect a External HDD with RPi through USB .
As you mentioned external powered HDD , can it be connected through a power USB Hub ?

Do you just have the boss dac board or a s it alomg with the raspberry Pi? You need the Pi to use the boss dac. Pi has USB ports which can be used to connect.

Do post a pic of what you have. That should clear things up for all.

MaSh

I dont have anything right now but planning for digital Audiophile exploration .
What I understood that SBC like Pi is the base and Boss will be hatting on the Pi through GPIO then to ALLO Bolt+ Double to amplify and output to speakers .

USB HDD --> RPi --> BOSS analog Out --> Bolt+ Double --> Speakers .

Platform will be controlled by RPi OS ( there are many flavours , to choose the best suite for Audiophile )

As other FMs mentioned above, Allo BOSS DAC is a DAC board which works only with a raspberry Pi and together will work as a Media Player or Streamer with appropriate software. And it will not work like other standalone external DACs with plenty of digital inputs where you can feed digital inputs. Here you can play your media files (from USB HDD or SD card or Network Shares) & stream online music from Tidal, Spotify etc. but you cannot connect any digital output from say CD player or PC or TV.

If you have not bought already, you can buy Allo Boss player (rpi+Boss dac) from https://www.fabtolab.com/boss-player-eu

Got it ! Thanks much . :D

Allo BOSS DAC receives the audio signal from rpi directly through I2S. Together with Raspberry Pi they make the Allo BOSS player.

And you can connect your HDD to one of the USB ports of Rpi, provided you have a raspbian os installed in the pi, capable of reading through HDD content and playing the music files.

I'm not sure how you planning to install the Boss DAC in your system, but it sits on top of rpi like a hat. Experts @Kannan @firearm12 may provide some suggestion.

Thanks a Lot , Much appreciated with info and guide :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that hub has external power . You need one with a power adaptor. Or cut the usb cable and give supply from external 5v adaptor to hard disk ( don't do it if you don't know the connections )

Mini boss player is the easiest way to get to streaming . If you need more power go for the pi4 , allo boss dac, and allo volt + dual amp . Even the basic version of pi 3 is ok but for the additional 1k or 1.5k you can future proof with a pi4 . Especially if you plan it to use as a video player too .

Thanks for the input and suggestion .
The " Juggar " can be a choice to connect a External HDD with RPi through USB .
As you mentioned external powered HDD , can it be connected through a power USB Hub ?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back