How do you listen to Western Classical on a stereo?

Fiftyfifty

Staff member
Hi,

If you love jazz, rock, Indian and then Western Classical too, I would like to hear your thoughts on this:

When I am listening to a jazz quartet, I love the low level detail, like the saxophone being lifted up by the artiste, the press of the keys on the trumpet or piano, the dropping of the brush by the drummer - makes it all so real and present. Not so with western classical. The fine detail, and particularly too sharp a focus, take away the pleasure of listening to a symphony or large orchestra. Here, it is more important for me to hear the orchestra as a whole. Sound stage should be wide, but there ought to be a reasonable overlap of instruments so that I enjoy the music as a whole. I have been able to address this by moving my listening position back by a metre or so when I'm listening to such music.

What is your experience and how do you address the need for?different acoustics needed for different genres of music?

Love to hear!

Nearfield for western classical, especially large symphony is a bad idea. But string quartets ( classical) may work well in that position. I think what you are doing is perfectly normal.

Back